Ninja-Bear

Block, Ranged for Magic Resistence

I had this thought coming to work about magic resistance. Since block, ranged is VERY GM and Sfx, and a blocked attacked prevents damage, why not use it as a form of Magic resistance? I would work like a saying throw and depending on game, races could buy increase levels to the roll. For example, dwarfs buy +1 with block, range - magical sfx. A wizard shoots a magic fireball and hits. GM states that dwarfs are at -0 to block so now the dwarf has a 12-. If dwarf makes roll then the effect is resisted. It could be that I'm tired but this seems to be a workable magic resistance. Note though the dwarf is fired upon by a regular arrow and he is probably at -4 - no bonus.

We see Magicians using attacks to block their opponents attacks in fiction. I would allow an energy blast to block another energy blast. Is this the power skill in action?

Check out Egg v lo Pan at about 1 min 20.

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=big+trouble+little+china+egg+shen+v+lopan&&view=detail&mid=9F9C1B0D984B0EBFF0D69F9C1B0D984B0EBFF0D6&FORM=VRDGAR

But to be able to block it without another attack seems strange to me; if you want magical resistance you could by a force wall and attach a skill roll to it or the like.

And you think that I could block a lightning strike by gritting my teeth? Did you see those spate of acid attacks in England this year? Perhaps they should have just braced for impact?

GM permission indeed :D

I was just thinking about those Japanese soldiers in their bunkers when the American flamethrower dudes arrived.

"Don't worry, lads, we'll be fine if we just brace for impact."

Tarly's Dad, to his brother when facing a Dragon in GoT.

"Don't worry, lad, we can just brace for impact."

I can see The Hulk or Superman doing that but a 'normal' hero or person who isn't more or less indestructable to start with? 

GM permission is a glorious thing.

You never mentioned blocking by moving away, you mentioned blocking by toughing it out. Moving goalposts much?

GM permission time - If I was GMing I'd rule that if you had NCM, (ie you are a real person) I would not allow you to block an energy attack, unless you had something to block it with. Either a shield /table or similar or another energy attack if the SFX were compatible. 

I see no reason at all for a person who is able to block not to be able to buy skill levels in it, as per your original post. That seems perfectly reasonable.

I would not allow you to block an energy attack, unless you had something to block it with.

That's *always* the rule with Block, at least under 6ed: you have to have something that could plausibly Block the attack. If you're Superman, that might be the big red S on your chest. If you're a wizard, it might be your own energy blast. If you're Joe Normal, you're going to have to work harder to come up with something, but things like furniture or other found objects typically get used a lot in fiction.

That's *always* the rule with Block, at least under 6ed: you have to have something that could plausibly Block the attack. If you're Superman, that might be the big red S on your chest. If you're a wizard, it might be your own energy blast. If you're Joe Normal, you're going to have to work harder to come up with something, but things like furniture or other found objects typically get used a lot in fiction.

Ok but as sfx goes, why is the assumption of magical equals energy damage?

Ok but as sfx goes, why is the assumption of magical equals energy damage?

Uh, I wasn't assuming that at all. If you have a magical energy blast, you can probably Block an incoming energy blast (or at least try to), but it all depends on sfx, type of energy, and what the GM feels is appropriate. (IIRC Ultimate Energy Projector has a lengthy session on what happens when this type of energy interacts with that type of energy, which could make EB Blocks more interesting.)

BDH that is what I was saying. That the sfx of Magic would be blockable similar to how Bricks can block all damage by taking it-if ready. I know Alibear started with “well I don’t see normals blocking energy type damage”

Sorry if I was cranky towards you.

Right. So if you want it to be a free action, you'd need to put Trigger on it or something.

You can put Trigger on a Power, but can you put it on a Maneuver?

Lucius Alexander

I can put a palindromedary in a tagline but can I put a tagline in a palindromedary?

One way I can work out how to get a 'free action' is with duplication. Madly complicated & quite expensive of course... so we're back to a force wall requires a skill roll?

You can put Trigger on a Power, but can you put it on a Maneuver?

Lucius Alexander

I can put a palindromedary in a tagline but can I put a tagline in a palindromedary?

Why not? Skill can be considered powers right?

Hero Designer lets me put it on a Martial Maneuver

Martial Block: 1/2 Phase, +2 OCV, +2 DCV, Block, Abort, Trigger (Activating the Trigger is an Action that takes no time, Trigger resets automatically, immediately after it activates; +1) (24 Active Points)

Martial Block: 1/2 Phase, +2 OCV, +2 DCV, Block, Abort, Constant (+1/2), Uncontrolled (+1/2) (24 Active Points)

Lucius Alexander

I can put a tagline in a palindromedary but I can't get it back out

Lucius what if you use custom power 1 pt for the base cost of Block even though it’s free, I thought somewhere you should pay a minimum of one point then calculate it as an independent power.

P.s. UMA for 5th has rules for this.