What are the differences between version 5 and version 6.

Gauntlet

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah they'll probably need around 50 more points for the characteristics and alternate builds for some abilities.

So you're saying your Heroic level character wouldn't notice the difference between a STR20 and a STR15 punch?

With an average of 3 stun and 1 body, probably not much, no.

True dat. Still, doubling your carrying capacity alone  may be a very big deal, depending on setting.

And it definitely makes a significant difference for a STR contest in any setting.

5 points will also let you do regional accents in fluent Spanish!

"Who was that masked man?"

"I don't know. But he sounded Venezuelan..."

They're lifted from Champions 6e, so any details about that would be there. They're also mostly 6e versions of old characters (Esper, Green Dragon and Shrinker go way back to early editions - may even be example characters from 1e - Defender is a 4e one and most of the others are 5e). 

The heroes seem to be solidly 12DC, 60 active point builds. The villains vary but tend to higher values, but that's not uncommon. NPCs don't need to be balanced.

Now that I think about it, Esper *might* be from Enemies. I'm a 3e boy, but have read the 2e book that my GM owned and do remember the Mark Williams drawings of some of those old sample characters.

I miss Brick. He didn't even make the 4e cut, despite being the name character for an entire archetype!

Now that I think about it, Esper *might* be from Enemies. I'm a 3e boy, but have read the 2e book that my GM owned and do remember the Mark Williams drawings of some of those old sample characters.

I miss Brick. He didn't even make the 4e cut, despite being the name character for an entire archetype!

The first time I saw Esper was from Classic Enemies.

And I believe Brick makes an appearance in VIPER sourcebook for 4th

The version of Shinker in CC is the one from CKC, not the version from BBB.

That's fine. But the character is still recognisably a version of the old 3e and 4e writeups I have. Defender changes a little between 4e and 5e as he's the only one of the 4e Champions to survive the big retcon.

I redid Brick into 6th.  I will find the character file and repost it here. 

I couldn't figure out how to link the file in this post so I added it to the downloads section.

Edited by Amorkca

Well, he's not the most complex build... :)

Ogre was in 4e as well as 3e. Another original, assault?

...and now that I think about it, Brick's one of the example heroes, I think, like Crusader. So he was displaced in 4e by the Champions.

So, I guess my first version of Esper would also be Classic Enemies (I never had the original Escape from Stronghold), like Ripper. Though I may have played against them in the 3e era.

OK. The characters in 1e were: Crusader, Starburst, Ogre, Armadillo, Dragonfly, Green Dragon, Howler, Icicle, Mechanon, Pulsar, Shrinker.

2e added the Viper's Nest scenarios, including Brick, Cheshire Cat, Blue Jay and the Nest Leader (a 200 point character).

The Island of Doctor Destroyer (Adventure 1) included the Doctor himself, plus Armadillo and a bunch of villains that also appeared in Enemies.

Escape From Stronghold (Adventure 2) included Esper, Freon, Ripper, Radar, Sonar, Insectoid and three kinds of robot.

Deathstroke (Adventure 3) featured Doctor Draconis, "Doctor Death" (really an agent) and some giant insects, in addition to the actual members of Deathstroke, who also appeared in Enemies II.

The list of characters who appeared in Enemies and Enemies II is too long to include here.

GRAB (Black Claw, Black Diamond, Gremlin and the Whip) appeared in Space Gamer #61 (March 1983), in Microfilm Madness, an adventure written by George MacDonald. It was basically an expansion for Viper's Nest. It's noteworthy that Gremlin's origin was intertwined with Mark William's Gargoyle in this appearance, giving hints as to what Gargoyle's origin and character build were like.

Heh. I've got Space Gamer #61 with the GRAB crew.

Good work!!

So - Green Dragon and Shrinker are officially the longest lasting sample villains. Bet Howler is pissed. Since she's in Vol 3 of the 6e Enemies books, I'm guessing she also didn't make the cut for the original Champions 6e book.

Gosh, they made Healing extremely expensive!

Yep... always set for a 24hr period and 10pts for 1d6. 11 steps up time-wise, if you wanted to do healing as often as you'd do a +2 1/2. Thus comparing an attack you can do every phase vs healing every phase for the same amount, it's 5x more expensive in comparison.

I recall it says defenses should be cheaper than attacks, but healing seems to follow the opposite rule.