Condition Adjustment

Zane_Marlowe

Has anyone ever tried creating powers that adjust, heal, or impose conditions? For example, a power that negates or extends another character's Stunned condition. I haven't thought about how many conditions might be worth generating such powers for, but stunning seemed almost like a kind of absolute effect, which suggested to me that it might be worth modeling some powers that would change it.

Thoughts?

So, how would these work? I'm guessing you'd use Healing vs. a Flash basically as a reverse of the relevant Body pips Rolled in the Flash. I'm curious what you'd say about Stun effects though. Mechanically, is there any way to affect a character currently stunned so that when their turn comes up they're not Stunned? Or to extend the Stunned condition for an extra phase?

Page references:  

Healing against being Stunned:  6e1 p. 233

Healing against Flash, Transform:  6e1 p. 237

Change Environment to impose Suffocation, Stunning:  APG p. 82

So, how would these work? I'm guessing you'd use Healing vs. a Flash basically as a reverse of the relevant Body pips Rolled in the Flash. I'm curious what you'd say about Stun effects though. Mechanically, is there any way to affect a character currently stunned so that when their turn comes up they're not Stunned? Or to extend the Stunned condition for an extra phase?

For Flash, you're correct.  You can use Healing to Heal a character from being Stunned, or Change Environment to extend Stunned; you could apply appropriate Modifiers to the CE (Advantages to make it last longer or Limitations to follow an attack that Stuns the target).  

Before Suffocation was explicitly included in Change Environment, I used to do that part with Suppress Recovery; if you Suppress the target's REC to 0, they are effectively unable to take Recoveries, which matches holding breath.  For Stunning, I probably would have done that with Suppress Constitution; if you Suppress the target's CON to 0, then they're effectively always taking STUN damage equal to or greater than their CON.  APG specifies flat costs for Change Environment to do those things; I would probably tie the costs to the target's CON/REC scores in some way, but that's me.  

There's not really a good "list of conditions" for Hero the way there is for, say, D&D 5e.  There are plenty of conditions, but they're scattered around.  It might be worthwhile to have a list of them, maybe with notes on what brings them about along with Change Environment costs.  Probably not something it would be okay to post without Hero Games' permission, though.

The Hero System really doesn't have a codified system of 'conditions' the way rulesets like Pathfinder and Dungeons & Dragons do. However, Change Environment can be used to simulate the effects of most of said conditions. Likewise, most of the extant Environmental Conditions (such as increased temperature, fog, etc) can be simulated using Change Environment, or else have some instructions regarding what game elements can be used to simulate their effects. Those powers cover most of the necessary methods of imposing a condition.

Healing and Dispel cover most of the necessary methods of removing conditions.

Regarding adjusting conditions, I have very little advice. Adjusting the power which produced the condition may or may not actually change its effects depending upon how it was built, and typically subsequent power-uses have overlapping durations/effects instead of stacking durations/effects. 

I actually believe it goes against HERO's concept.  Most D&D/Pathfinder conditions could be simulated with a drain(or other power) and the special effect would be the condition imposed.  

For instance,

Confusion could be mind control or mental images.

Fatigued/Exhausted could be END drain.

Cowering is just PRE drain and a presence attack.

Sickened could be a drain on physical stats and CV.

etc.

Has anyone ever tried creating powers that adjust, heal, or impose conditions?

Transforms can:

Change/remove distinguishable features

Add complications

Remove complications

Add power(s)

(Temporarily?) Remove power(s)

Add (new) limitations to powers

Permanently change someone...

But this really depends on the 'imposed' condition you want.

However drain/suppression are probably better suited.