Hacking cell phones

Crusher Bob

One of the characters I've been working on is supposed to be able to either alter cell phone transmissions in real time, or create them whole cloth.

I've bought this as radio group images.  Combined with the characters HRRP, which should let her perceive cell phone signals, I think it should work like this:

(using HRRP) I hear the cell phone in the characters pocket (as long as it's on and not in airplane mode)

Then I can use radio group images to do things like:

give the cell phone altered GPS signals, so it thinks it's somewhere else.

create a phone call out of whole cloth (i.e. the phone thinks someone in specific is calling, and then the phone user, assuming they answer (and were fooled by the images) would think they were having a conversation with whoever is calling.  To do this believably, you'd have to 'know' things like the purported caller's phone number, voice, etc.

alter a phone conversation in real time.  the two people think they are having a phone conversation, but what each one actually hears can be changed, added to, removed, etc by the images.

This would presumably also work on cellular Internet connections, and over wireless networks.  You could also spoof someone's cars wireless entry fob.  Or set off the shoplifting scanners when they walk trough.  Or make it look like they had a cell phone active, with GPS enabled, if you wanted some third party to try following them with it.

-------------------------

Did anyone have any comments on this power construct?  would you let HRRP (to perceive the phone signals) and radio group images (to generate false signals) do this?

------------------------

What about for more in depth phone hacking?

The suggested course seems to be mind control (machine minds) to take control of machines and telepathy (machine minds) to read data off them.  Of course, since most devices are wireless 'send me all of your files' would seem to be a valid mind control command.

How would you be able to 'target' someone's phone?  If the phone is in a pocket, you can't target it with your normal sight, so some other targeting sense seems to be required.

HRRP + targeting?  just HRRP? Mind scan (vs machine minds)?

Mind scan vs machine minds let's you 'find' computers that don't even have any connections, so would either have to have a lot of limitations on it, or isn't the right power.  Mind scan also has the very odd range.

Would discriminatory or analyze on HRRP be required?  But all HRRP signals would normally be pretty 'complex'...

Then, how much mind control do you need to get someone's cell phone to do stuff for you?  Or should this be some sort of transform, to represent you doing something like compromising the cell phone, and it's not 'mind control' anymore?  But then, how much transform do you need?

Today's cellphones use encryption, so connecting to the phone to send whole new conversations wholecloth would be difficult without the encryption key. Although exactly how complex the encryption key it is I don't know. Using cryptography wouldn't make sense, analyze might...

Building cell phones I'd think they'd have armor vs hacking, and then hacking the cell phone you'd need penetrating (which would simulate hacking and getting past the encryption). But if the phones are unencrypted then fooling them is simply a matter of spoofing them, which is just targetting them either by ID or with LOS...

But I doubt phones are made that way in Herosystem.

Anyways, as for using the mind control, if you look at it as a simple Radio Perception/transmission (10AP) getting to or exceeding 10AP in damage would be enough to override it, as with Transform logic: If you could kill someone with the attack you may as well turn them into a frog.

You'd need 3D6+1 or 4D6 (only vs machines) average stun to get the 10AP points. Would be the same for a minor transform (to redirect who it listens/is authenticated to). Should that not be enough, second successful attack would probably be enough.

Healing said device would probably be something like 'restarting the device'.

Well, I mostly wanted to avoid any encryption arguments.  'Secure' communications are normally implemented as mind link, with the power shifted over into the radio group instead.  In addition, other images automatically defeat 'appearance'.  For example, if I make an image of someone and the viewer fails the PER roll, then they would recognize the image if that was a person they were familiar with.  And that's technically a form of defeating encryption.

[edit]

That's also one of the advantages of mental illusions over images.  To make an image of something, I need to be 'familiar' with that something.  But for mental illusions, the target needs to be familiar with that thing.  So a mental illusion of 'I give you the password' works.

Hmm, so I guess mental illusions (machine class minds) might be a better implementation?  Since that does get around encryption type problems.  But that seems to have problems with changing the contents of a phone conversation while it is happening, because mental illusions only effect one target at once.  Of course, since the target is technically the phone, I'm not sure how that would work.

[edit 2]

And the mental illusions implementation also runs into the +20 to make the target think the illusion was real after it ends problem.  Since what happens is a 'real event', that for example, people tapping the phone would also notice then images seems be be the better base power.

Security Systems used through the Radio Sense, perhaps? Bought with a bunch of skill levels "Only to gain remote access of a phone".

Or maybe Usable at Range on the skill?

If what the player wants is "what I could do if I had this phone in my hand, unlocked" it could even be done as TK (fine manipulation only) and just require a Security Systems roll to break their unlock security (i.e. might be as simple as "swipe up" or a 4 digit pin)

I think Images should work fine here. It's the phone that you are providing the false image to, not the user. In this case the sense the image applies to is Radio and you are providing with false transmission information. Requires Computer Programming and/or Security systems rolls to work. The issue of being familiar with the "image" in this case covers transmission protocols and network security, which someone with the appropriate skills should have. Maybe require KS: GPS Network or the like for a specific hack. If they only had Security Systems they could crack the transmission protocol and place a generic fake call, but might not be able to do much else, since they'd be unfamiliar with the required radio image needed to convincingly reprogram the phone.

Something like this, maybe:

Images (Radio) -5 PER rolls (20pts base); Requires a roll (Security Systems) -½; Only vs cell phones (-1); 8pts total.

You'd have to decide what INT the cell phone's CPU has. By default I guess it would be 10, so the phone would get a 6 or less roll to detect the data as fake in the above example power. 

To extract information, some kind of similar analyze power. If you analyze their address book it should be simple to then send a text from a known phone number using the Image power. Voice calls would need separate knowledge of the caller's voice and Mimicry skill.

Part of why I think the build should be 'power based' is that 'technology' as sfx (in a supers game) should not be some sort of inherent weakness.  So, for example, I'd expect hacking you 'magic scroll' based communication system to be as difficult as hacking you 'cellphone'.

Something like:

remote rooting of your device

1d6 Severe transform (effectively enslavement)

(defined as being obvious to: sight group, radio group)

Invisible power effects: invisible to sight group (+1/2)

invisible power effects: inobvious to radio group (+1/4)

Limited target: computerized devices that accept wireless communications, or you are connected to by hardline (-1/2)

May have:

AVAD: Mental Defense (+0)

and

works against INT, not BODY (+0?)

as adders, depending on how stuff is supposed to be implemented. But it looks like computers are all supposed to have INT, so that might work.

May also be a workable implementation.  But that doesn't seem to let you 'fabricate' phone calls, as that's not really something the phone can do normally.  But this would seem to cover the 'hacking' of the phone itself.

It would depend on your GM.  I have seen GMs allow the actions with just radio hearing/transmit and the appropriate skills all the way to the using of powers.  

If you are asking me how I would GM it, I would allow any of the suggestions so far but each would have a slight different effect.

1. HRRH and skills could be used, but the skills would probably have a hefty penalty on them.  Even the government has a hard time unscrambling phone encryption and had to legislate a backdoor.  They also found its easier to bug than to decrypt, just saying.  But this is the world of action movies and comics, so a high enough skill can do the things you ask, just expect a -5 min on you skill rolls.
  2. I would treat transform into hacked phone as just that.  The phone is hacked but setting it up to do certain actions will still require a skill roll, just nowhere near as bad as option one and security systems would not be needed.
  3. Using radio images would work, with the PER roll to note if something was amiss with the signal.  Maybe one skill roll to help sell the image but beyond that no skill needed.
  4. Mind control machines would work but probably only with modern phones and be limited to programmable features.  You wouldn't be able to fake a voice message but you could get it to trigger at the wrong time or send fake text messages.  No skill needed.

Part of why I think the build should be 'power based' is that 'technology' as sfx (in a supers game) should not be some sort of inherent weakness.  So, for example, I'd expect hacking you 'magic scroll' based communication system to be as difficult as hacking you 'cellphone'.

IMHO that should only be true if the magic scroll and the cell phone were both purchased with points. Even then, each of them is vulnerable to different special effects; a magnetic pulse may fry the phone while leaving the scroll untouched. On the other hand, splashing ink on a phone may be easily wiped off, while destroying the scroll. 

However, normally gear that is common doesn't have to be paid for anyway. In 2017 everyone has a smartphone. Part of the benefit of paying for a magical means of communications in a typical modern superhero setting is that it is more exclusive. 

mrinku, in 2017 almost everyone has a smart phone. I know some people who don't.

I'd go with what you suggested, the: Images (Radio) -5 PER rolls (20pts base); Requires a roll (Security Systems) -½; Only vs cell phones (-1); 8pts total.

To me, powers trump skills.  HRRH would do most of what you need.  To beat encryption, maybe you need a security systems or bugging roll, but I wouldn't make it too severe.  You aren't using real world technology, you're using a superpower.  And you're attempting to hack into a piece of equipment that the other guy got for free.  To fake a signal, radio images works great.

We're not trying to simulate the real world, I don't care what kinds of encryption an iPhone has or why the FBI has trouble unlocking somebody's phone.  You're playing Cyber-Man, who can literally speak cell phone.  Conventional data security doesn't work well against people like that (because in the real world, there are no people like that).  At the end of the day, this is a relatively minor power, especially when compared to reading minds or walking through walls.  It shouldn't be too expensive.

Unless this is a secret agent type game where people are doing this all the time, and it's an integral part of the plot, you don't need to sweat the small stuff.  This seems like the sort of flavor power that gets used once, maybe twice in a campaign.

mrinku, in 2017 almost everyone has a smart phone. I know some people who don't.

I'd go with what you suggested, the: Images (Radio) -5 PER rolls (20pts base); Requires a roll (Security Systems) -½; Only vs cell phones (-1); 8pts total.

Almost every adult knows how to drive a car. I know some people who don't (including my 21yo son). But it's a TF everyman skill anyway.

For the purposes of "common equipment" it's the same as starting with clothing these days. Spider-Man: Homecoming is a good example of where things are at. Instant, portable communications through a handheld computer is the baseline. You could even look at a Social Complication of "Does not use modern technology" for some characters. 

It's also worth noting that a smartphone isn't going to be much use in a super fight. Peter Parker's new suit has it all built in and that does cost points. When he loses it , relying on his normal phone is awkward at best. And it's always got a cracked screen.

Personally, if someone uses HRRH in my campaign, they can:

1) Encrypt their own communication with the server without a skill roll (though a skill roll to encrypt will make it harder to decrypt).

2) Listen in on unencrypted communications (like radios, CBS, over air transmissions, or wireless phones you find in houses).

3) Send over air transmissions.

4) Detect radio wave usage, type of usage, and whether its encrypted (radar, vocal communication, television)

5) Detect header information. Even if the message is encrypted, a lot of information isn’t. The to and from aren’t. Time stamp. Location of the towers which picked up the message. Etc.

A lot of communication is unencrypted. Your wireless phone in your home (not cellphone) is probably not encrypted. The radios used by police are not encrypted as are most emergency radios. Text messaging wasn’t encrypted for a long time but now a lot of them encrypt between two same apps.

A lot of wireless networks (especially home ones) aren't particularly secure either; that would determine the difficulty of the skill roll. Once cracked, you can talk to any devices using wifi (though doing anything else to them may need further work).

Another thing to consider in a superpowered world is advanced technology, or special access. Quantoid, with an alien quantum supercomputer brain might consider primitive digital security no more a barrier than unencrypted traffic. In a setting where some party has already infiltrated or has full control of the communications network (Shadow Government, VIPER, Dictatorship within their borders, Evil Telco etc) the rules may be quite different than a "fair" public encryption situation.