Going up?

DasBroot

I found this answer interesting:

http://www.herogames.com/forums/topic/96076-gravity-vs-throw/

Steve doesn't discuss deign philosophy (wisely - it's endless)  but that's never stopped the forum from theory-crafting so lets throw (heh) a few numbers around.

For the examples let's use a character with 60 strength and a 100 kg character/object being thrown straight up vs being knocked back straight up.

Example 1: Standing

Knockback: Knockback isn't really affected by standing still (save for potentially doing less damage than a /v attack).  We'll take standard effect of 12 body on the 60 str attack and reduce it by 6 (for conveniences sake) for 12 meters of knockback straight up.

The target crashes to the ground the segment after being knocked straight up and takes 6d6 damage.

Throw: A str 60 character can throw a 100 kg object (such as a standard character) 80 meters (60 str - 10 str needed) on a running throw - which isn't defined in champions complete anywhere but I presume means you take a move action while carrying the object before throwing it.  I could be wrong. A standing throw is half this (40 meters).  

A standing throw of a character would probably be 'free' throw from Grabbing or any of the grab family moves, or any throw made without the object already grabbed (martial throw doesn't require a grab first so if you half move first, without the object grabbed, and then attack with it I think that would be a standing throw).

40 meters is a 3 segment fall that inflicts 15d6.  That seems strong at first glance but it's no haymaker (16d6, 1 segment).

This is why I was sure that it would be half distance vertically, which would further reduce that to a 20 m fall instead for 10d6 - still stronger than the knockback, but lacking the impact of said knockback in the first place it's actually not a very good use of your action.

Example 2: Running

Knockback, like I said, doesn't really care about this.  We'll stay with 12 meters.

Throw, though... wow. 80 meters straight up if you meet whatever the criteria for running throw is.

That's a 4 segment fall that inflicts 20d6.  That is a pretty good chunk of damage ... especially in a dc 12 game (it's 8 over, after all).

Where it gets interesting is that horizontal throws are limited to your STR damage *exactly* so this doesn't happen - but could anyone truly argue capping falling damage at your strength damage because you threw a target straight up instead of pushed them off a building from that height?

Now there are a lot of things that can happen* in 3 or 4 segments so this ultimately probably isn't overpowered (at least at 60 str) ... but it is interesting to see such a difference (12 m vs 40 m vs 80 m) the same strength can move that hundred KG object.

Special note: Telekinesis throw

As stated under the TK power throws with TK are running throws.  60 points in TK is 40 str, which becomes 30 for purposes of moving that 100 kg object, which is 48 meters: a 3 segment 15d6 impact just like the str 60 standing throw if you tossed them straight up.  That's a pretty cool coincidence - perhaps too cool to be one.

Outside of combat this is also a pretty interesting situational 'movement' power for your allies.  Need to get to the top of that 20 story building? Don't have a power to get you there? Have your friendly neighborhood brick toss you up. WHeeee!

Has anyone actually had anyone decide to throw something straight up, like Hancock in the movie (rewatching it is actually what inspired my question)?

Is there anything wrong with my numbers?

And what the heck is a running throw?

*1 point of Glide triggered when subjected to involuntary vertical movement,  Don't leave home without it?

Squirrel Girl also used this tactic against Kraven while she was figuring out what to do with him (though she was also catching him and throwing him up again). :)

A running throw is meant to be like a javelin, using your momentum to add energy to the throw, presumably with as much preparation and efficiency in throwing as possible. The knockback version would be comparing KB from a normal Strike (standing) with a Move Through (running) at the same STR.

CC doesn't seem to define Running Throw (as you say) but I'm pretty sure the old rule was it required a half move in the throw direction prior to the Throw Maneuver. Always been a bit of a rubber rule - you get no extra distance for a 20m half move over a 6m one.

For a vertical throw, the geometry pretty much limits it to a standing throw; unless you're using flight to make a vertical half move or something. If the move isn't in the same direction as the throw, it'll be a standing throw.