Modeling "Take a Recovery"

g3taso

I am wondering how people might suggest an ability that allows people to take recoveries? I can see how you might want "Usable on Others" with the Attack option, since a person might be deeply unconscious.  How might you suggest this built as a power in 5e (or 6e)?

My initial take is   +10 END, Usable As Attack (+1) (10 Active Points). I'm assuming I will be touching this person aka Obi Wan in Episode IV, and while I touch them they have more END and can take recoveries.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I believe that at some point there was a Rules Question or FAQ entry that if it's something helpful, you don't need As Attack.  But they would only have the +10 STUN or whatever for as long as the Power was active.  You could add Time Limit: 5 minutes to keep from having to maintain it, which would most likely outlast any combat you use it in, and then out of combat END and STUN recovery is pretty much not tracked if everyone is conscious.

If the GM was willing to nod it through, as there is a LOT of handwavery here, you could buy +1 SPD, usable as an attack, must be used immediately, only to take a recovery, only once per turn per person.

I would see this working purely as allowing someone to use the current (or very next segment if they had already moved that segment) for a recovery.  If not used immediately (or if they act or take damage that segment) then the opportunity is lost.

I like this better for the description because it actually does the recovery thing.  I realise that it dismisses the whole SPD change rules but it is not really intended for changing SPD.  It is an instant power.  And doing it this way means that the power will vary with the REC of the recipient, just like it should.  :-)

Doc

Have you read the rules for Healing?

Almost anything is simpler than using Healing.

Lucius Alexander

Using a palindromedary for example

Perhaps you can take advantage of the Ultimate Speedster book and combine it with an one phase length trip to the Speed Dimension so (s)he had the time to take the Recovery.

Almost. I did say "Almost."

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary heard me.

Take a Recovery: (Total: 4 Active Cost, 4 Real Cost) Trigger (Activating the Trigger requires a Zero Phase Action, Trigger requires a Turn or more to reset; +1/4) for up to 10 Active Points of RECovery, Usable As Attack (+1), Grantor pays the END whenever the power is used (4 Active Points) (Real Cost: 4)

Takes the Naked Advantage: Trigger for up to 10 pts of REC and applies it on another character as an "attack" (so they don't have to be conscious) and triggers it.

Lucius Alexander

Recovering a palindromedary

Maybe, but doing it as a Transform sidesteps how knocked out they are. It's likely cheaper than a STUN heal that can deal with deep negative stun. -30 would need 5d6 and a few rolls to get there. You could buy a Transform for less active points... it should be a Minor transform, since it's just speeding up the natural process.

Having said that, you can help recovery without any powers whatsoever just by doing so.

In terms of Star Wars, all I see with Ben Kenobi is a STUN Heal combined with "helping to recover". That would bring even someone at the -30 level back around very quickly.

i.e. Luke Skywalker, SPD 3, PD 5, Rec 4, 20 STUN is clobbered by a single blow to the head from a Tusken Raider and takes 50 STUN, putting him at -25. He gets a normal recovery after one minute, taking him to -21. In the mean time Obi-Wan has scared off the Sandpeople and starts to tend to Luke. Ben's 2d6 STUN Healing rolls a 7, bringing him to -14, and since Ben is tending to him and helping him to regain consciousness, Luke is treated as being in the 0 to -10 bracket and starts to come around. He takes recoveries on each of his phases AND on post-12 and will be back to positive STUN within two turns, sooner if Ben heals him some more. 

Take a Recovery: (Total: 4 Active Cost, 4 Real Cost) Trigger (Activating the Trigger requires a Zero Phase Action, Trigger requires a Turn or more to reset; +1/4) for up to 10 Active Points of RECovery, Usable As Attack (+1), Grantor pays the END whenever the power is used (4 Active Points) (Real Cost: 4)

Takes the Naked Advantage: Trigger for up to 10 pts of REC and applies it on another character as an "attack" (so they don't have to be conscious) and triggers it.

How did you get that? I'm in 5E and it looks like I don't see how that one costs 4pt. 

12 Take A Recovery:  Trigger (Activating the Trigger requires a Zero Phase Action, Trigger requires a Turn or more to reset; +1/4), Usable As Attack (+1) for up to 10 Active Points of RECovery (12 Active Points). What edition?

How did you get that? I'm in 5E and it looks like I don't see how that one costs 4pt. 

12 Take A Recovery:  Trigger (Activating the Trigger requires a Zero Phase Action, Trigger requires a Turn or more to reset; +1/4), Usable As Attack (+1) for up to 10 Active Points of RECovery (12 Active Points). What edition?

I was using 6th, and REC costs less. It will cost about 10 pts under 5th edition. Or more or less depending on what max REC you choose to apply it to.

It's not going to instantly awaken someone who is deeply unconscious; for that you'd need either a massive Healing or instead of a Naked Advantage buy a massive REC that's Usable as Attack. Buying the Naked Advantage Trigger is a way to use the patient's own REC to help them.

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary asks, what are we trying to do again?

If you just want the target to be able to take his Recovery, why not buy Stun for the purpose of raising the target's current Stun above the threshold of unconsciousness where they can recover every phase?

I find myself wondering if g3taso wants to force the target to blow its phase by forcing it to take a recovery.  That sounds like something he would try to do...

If that's actually the end goal, then I think Mind Control, Only to Force Target to Take A Recovery (-1 1/2) is probably the cleanest way to go.

If you just want the target to be able to take his Recovery, why not buy Stun for the purpose of raising the target's current Stun above the threshold of unconsciousness where they can recover every phase?

I think that actually might be what the OP was intending to suggest in the first place (but he mixed up END and STUN).

Still probably better done with Healing IMHO.

It's not going to instantly awaken someone who is deeply unconscious; for that you'd need either a massive Healing or instead of a Naked Advantage buy a massive REC that's Usable as Attack. Buying the Naked Advantage Trigger is a way to use the patient's own REC to help them.

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary asks, what are we trying to do again?

That's a problem. I was wanting them to take a recovery (via trigger) so if they were deeply unconscious they could take that recovery.  It would synergize well with STUN Usable as Attack. Hmm....