California fires

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#1 Iuz the Evil

Iuz the Evil

Evil Demigod

• 3,870 posts

Posted 11 October 2017 - 09:51 PM

This is like nothing I've seen before, and I've been in disasters ranging from the 1999 F5 Moore Oklahoma tornado to the Valley Fire and Lomo Prieta Earthquake. This is worse, in that it just goes on and on - fires completely uncontrolled despite best efforts and the weather gets worse (dry and increased winds) tomorrow.

Santa Rosa is devastated, I'm over in Napa manning emergency behavioral health and the heroism shown by the community and responders in the face of this is incredible. And now Solano is having impacts.

https://youtu.be/ryPKCEdxq2w

https://youtu.be/E7jrZvpvGP0

https://youtu.be/OU417MkwDO4

Yikes. Keep us in your thoughts.
  • wcw43921, bigdamnhero, massey and 2 others like this
"Elections have consequences." -John McCain "Focusing your life solely on making a buck shows a certain poverty of ambition. It asks too little of yourself. Because it's only when you hitch your wagon to something larger than yourself that you realize your true potential." -Barack Obama

#2 megaplayboy

megaplayboy

Left Hook of Justice, Esq

• 20,668 posts

Posted 11 October 2017 - 09:58 PM

My mom lives in Contra Costa County and she says she can smell the smoke whenever she goes outside.  It's already one of the 3-4 worst ever wildfires(and rising up the list every day) in CA history.  

• Burrito Boy likes this
ROOMMATE WANTED in Northeast DC, beginning January 1st. If interested, please PM me.

#3 Nolgroth

Nolgroth

Medium unnatural humanoid

• 9,662 posts

Posted 11 October 2017 - 10:03 PM

I woke up at 2:00 AM this morning and there was so much smoke in my backyard, I thought my duplex was on fire. I had to do a circuit of the building and neighboring buildings to confirm that it wasn't. The smoke hung around until about 2:00 PM this afternoon and there is still the faint smell of burning ash in the air.

• Burrito Boy likes this

#4 Burrito Boy

Burrito Boy

Closet Chimichanga

• 2,261 posts

Posted 11 October 2017 - 10:22 PM

I woke up at 2:00 AM this morning and there was so much smoke in my backyard, I thought my duplex was on fire. I had to do a circuit of the building and neighboring buildings to confirm that it wasn't. The smoke hung around until about 2:00 PM this afternoon and there is still the faint smell of burning ash in the air.

Same thing happened to me this morning. I smelled smoke shortly after I woke up and went running around the house to figure out where the fire was. I was afraid that it might be on my side of the valley this time. It wasn't until a friend called and reminded me about the fires in California that I settled down. But now that I know firsthand what it's like to be so close to a fire, I haven't calmed down completely. You Californians are definitely in my thoughts and prayers.
  • Nolgroth and tkdguy like this

RIP David Burton (1960-2011)

Kurt Wilcken's pulp web comic Hannibal Tesla

#5 Nolgroth

Nolgroth

• 9,662 posts

Posted 11 October 2017 - 10:40 PM

Same thing happened to me this morning. I smelled smoke shortly after I woke up and went running around the house to figure out where the fire was. I was afraid that it might be on my side of the valley this time. It wasn't until a friend called and reminded me about the fires in California that I settled down. But now that I know firsthand what it's like to be so close to a fire, I haven't calmed down completely. You Californians are definitely in my thoughts and prayers.

The thing is, I am about an hour and a half drive east of Napa (I am in Sacramento). The last time the smoke from an outside fire was this bad was way back in circa '99. I remember because I had just gotten out of the Army some months prior and was interviewing/training for a tech support position at Earthlink. We have had smoke hit us since then but nothing this bad.

Also, I apologize if anybody thought I was in danger. I was merely posting to show that the fires are so bad that even this far away the smoke is still pretty thick. I certainly have nothing to bitch about after watching those videos above, especially the first one. My heart goes out to those people. When I was a child, my family lost everything to fire a couple of times. I vaguely remember those events and how much heartbreak goes into finding that everything you have, save the clothes on your back, is gone.

• Burrito Boy likes this

#6 Hermit

Hermit

Resplendent Recluse

• 40,846 posts

Posted 11 October 2017 - 10:44 PM

Prayers and hopes for those in California.

• Ternaugh, massey and Burrito Boy like this

“I've looked at the world for quite a few years now and I've found that if I don't laugh, I'll probably end up crying."
- Prince Kheldar of Drasnia aka Silk

Meet the People of Campaign City

The Adventures of "Fish Guy"

#7 Sociotard

Sociotard

Octuple Millennial Master

• 8,361 posts

Posted 11 October 2017 - 10:54 PM

So we just need tsunamis and volcanoes to win 2017 disaster bingo? At least no asteroids . . .
  • Burrito Boy likes this

Billing for the Versus Superdraft

Roster for the World Creation Superdraft (best wishes, Log Man)

I am the one true Sociotard

#8 tkdguy

tkdguy

Just me

• 23,799 posts

Posted 12 October 2017 - 01:46 AM

Best wishes to all those in Santa Rosa and the other affected areas.

I live south of San Francisco, and I can smell the smoke at times.

• Burrito Boy likes this
Patron saint of sore feet, fury, and breaking things

:uranus: :whip:

Please visit Chris Goodwin's website: Unofficial HERO System Forum

#9 Logan.1179

Logan.1179

Doomed

• 26,942 posts

Posted 12 October 2017 - 07:41 AM

I have family in the area and I'm hearing some terrifying reports. An old elementary school classmate had her house burned down. My aunt was forced to evacuate to the fairgrounds and had to leave her cats behind because they couldn't find them. We couldn't find her for a long time because the cell service is so spotty there now. Really scary stuff.

• Burrito Boy likes this

#10 megaplayboy

megaplayboy

• 20,668 posts

Posted 12 October 2017 - 09:45 AM

There are around 300 people reported missing, the vast majority of whom i hope will be found alive.
  • Ternaugh and Burrito Boy like this
ROOMMATE WANTED in Northeast DC, beginning January 1st. If interested, please PM me.

#11 tkdguy

tkdguy

Just me

• 23,799 posts

Posted 12 October 2017 - 11:43 PM

I could definitely see and smell the smoke today, and I'm all the way across the bay. Best of luck to you all who are affected, or have family and/or friends who are.

• Burrito Boy likes this
Patron saint of sore feet, fury, and breaking things

:uranus: :whip:

Please visit Chris Goodwin's website: Unofficial HERO System Forum

#12 bigdamnhero

bigdamnhero

Don't try this at home!

• 6,284 posts

Posted 13 October 2017 - 09:33 PM

Terrifying. I’ve seen some awful wildfires here in Colorado, and in New Mexico before that. But nothing like this.

• Burrito Boy likes this
"If I ever decide to kill you, you'll be awake, you'll be facing me, and you'll be armed."

#13 Iuz the Evil

Iuz the Evil

Evil Demigod

• 3,870 posts

Posted 13 October 2017 - 09:49 PM

Starting to get containment. Atlas fire almost half contained. Nunns fire still working on it.

I'm really tired, people are doing an amazing job in very trying circumstances.
  • slikmar, Old Man, Ternaugh and 3 others like this
"Elections have consequences." -John McCain "Focusing your life solely on making a buck shows a certain poverty of ambition. It asks too little of yourself. Because it's only when you hitch your wagon to something larger than yourself that you realize your true potential." -Barack Obama

#14 slikmar

slikmar

Sarcastic B@st@rd

• 2,946 posts

Posted 14 October 2017 - 02:51 PM

The thing is, I am about an hour and a half drive east of Napa (I am in Sacramento). The last time the smoke from an outside fire was this bad was way back in circa '99. I remember because I had just gotten out of the Army some months prior and was interviewing/training for a tech support position at Earthlink. We have had smoke hit us since then but nothing this bad.

Also, I apologize if anybody thought I was in danger. I was merely posting to show that the fires are so bad that even this far away the smoke is still pretty thick. I certainly have nothing to bitch about after watching those videos above, especially the first one. My heart goes out to those people. When I was a child, my family lost everything to fire a couple of times. I vaguely remember those events and how much heartbreak goes into finding that everything you have, save the clothes on your back, is gone.

I work for a Tax office 1 day a week in Rancho Cordova and live in the Pollock Pines/Placerville area, and we were getting the smoke here on some days, depending on the wind.

• Burrito Boy likes this

Court Death all you want, just make sure you keep your mistress, Lady Luck, happy. Quote from my brother "Wait, , she (his girlfriend) doesn't know that you are a cynical, sarcastic b*s*a*d".

Pawns of Fate, web comic done by my brother: http://pawnsoffatecomic.weebly.com/

#15 megaplayboy

megaplayboy

• 20,668 posts

Posted 14 October 2017 - 03:04 PM

Look, my expectations for the Orange Occupant Of Our Oval Office are quite low, but it would be nice to see at least a perfunctory tweet or public statement of concern or sympathy for the citizens of a state that voted for his opponent last year.  

• Burrito Boy likes this

#16 Nolgroth

Nolgroth

• 9,662 posts

Posted 14 October 2017 - 06:50 PM

Look, my expectations for the Orange Occupant Of Our Oval Office are quite low, but it would be nice to see at least a perfunctory tweet or public statement of concern or sympathy for the citizens of a state that voted for his opponent last year.  

Yeah. It would also be nice to win the lottery. I don't see either happening anytime soon. Best to take anything further on this particular aspect back to the Political Discussion thread though.

#17 Iuz the Evil

Iuz the Evil

Evil Demigod

• 3,870 posts

Posted 14 October 2017 - 07:54 PM

Partial containment today. Shelter operations ongoing. Pretty standard stress levels for an event of this magnitude at this time. Folks are taking care of one another, lots of support in place.

I'm pretty cashed, going to get 8+ hours tonight no doubt. Then hit it tomorrow for my 7th 12-14 hour shift. Got 4 more days then I will probably be able to take a day off. Folks doing overall a good job of self care, looking out for people they work with and making them take time to sleep.

Not over for a while yet, need to plan accordingly.
  • Nolgroth, Old Man, bigdamnhero and 2 others like this

#18 Iuz the Evil

Iuz the Evil

Evil Demigod

• 3,870 posts

Posted 15 October 2017 - 01:10 PM

City of Napa evacuation orders all just lifted. Starting to shift from EOC towards LAC efforts and repopulation. Hoping to do that anyway, we will see.

Lots of property destruction, loss of life still being determined. Several forensic sites locked down, need cadaver dog teams to check.

Sonoma got even more heavily impacted, obviously.

For any folks wondering about wineries, several with fire damage. Lots of smoke and radiant heat damage as well. Most of harvest was already completed, aside from the hillside cabs.
  • Nolgroth likes this

#19 Cancer

Cancer

Ontology oncology

• 50,399 posts

Posted 15 October 2017 - 01:12 PM

"Smoky Ridge Cab. No charge for extra smoke."
... abnormal, non-Euclidean, and loathsomely redolent of spheres and dimensions apart from ours.

#20 Old Man

Old Man

Youth and skill are no match for old age and treachery.

• 42,210 posts

Posted 17 October 2017 - 01:27 AM

m32jdq9cx9sz.jpg

• tkdguy likes this
...and that's when the destruction began.