Iuz the Evil

California fires

This is like nothing I've seen before, and I've been in disasters ranging from the 1999 F5 Moore Oklahoma tornado to the Valley Fire and Lomo Prieta Earthquake. This is worse, in that it just goes on and on - fires completely uncontrolled despite best efforts and the weather gets worse (dry and increased winds) tomorrow.

Santa Rosa is devastated, I'm over in Napa manning emergency behavioral health and the heroism shown by the community and responders in the face of this is incredible. And now Solano is having impacts.

https://youtu.be/ryPKCEdxq2w

https://youtu.be/E7jrZvpvGP0

https://youtu.be/OU417MkwDO4

Yikes. Keep us in your thoughts.

I woke up at 2:00 AM this morning and there was so much smoke in my backyard, I thought my duplex was on fire. I had to do a circuit of the building and neighboring buildings to confirm that it wasn't. The smoke hung around until about 2:00 PM this afternoon and there is still the faint smell of burning ash in the air.

I woke up at 2:00 AM this morning and there was so much smoke in my backyard, I thought my duplex was on fire. I had to do a circuit of the building and neighboring buildings to confirm that it wasn't. The smoke hung around until about 2:00 PM this afternoon and there is still the faint smell of burning ash in the air.

Same thing happened to me this morning. I smelled smoke shortly after I woke up and went running around the house to figure out where the fire was. I was afraid that it might be on my side of the valley this time. It wasn't until a friend called and reminded me about the fires in California that I settled down. But now that I know firsthand what it's like to be so close to a fire, I haven't calmed down completely. You Californians are definitely in my thoughts and prayers.

Same thing happened to me this morning. I smelled smoke shortly after I woke up and went running around the house to figure out where the fire was. I was afraid that it might be on my side of the valley this time. It wasn't until a friend called and reminded me about the fires in California that I settled down. But now that I know firsthand what it's like to be so close to a fire, I haven't calmed down completely. You Californians are definitely in my thoughts and prayers.

The thing is, I am about an hour and a half drive east of Napa (I am in Sacramento). The last time the smoke from an outside fire was this bad was way back in circa '99. I remember because I had just gotten out of the Army some months prior and was interviewing/training for a tech support position at Earthlink. We have had smoke hit us since then but nothing this bad.

Also, I apologize if anybody thought I was in danger. I was merely posting to show that the fires are so bad that even this far away the smoke is still pretty thick. I certainly have nothing to bitch about after watching those videos above, especially the first one. My heart goes out to those people. When I was a child, my family lost everything to fire a couple of times. I vaguely remember those events and how much heartbreak goes into finding that everything you have, save the clothes on your back, is gone.

I have family in the area and I'm hearing some terrifying reports. An old elementary school classmate had her house burned down. My aunt was forced to evacuate to the fairgrounds and had to leave her cats behind because they couldn't find them. We couldn't find her for a long time because the cell service is so spotty there now. Really scary stuff.

The thing is, I am about an hour and a half drive east of Napa (I am in Sacramento). The last time the smoke from an outside fire was this bad was way back in circa '99. I remember because I had just gotten out of the Army some months prior and was interviewing/training for a tech support position at Earthlink. We have had smoke hit us since then but nothing this bad.

Also, I apologize if anybody thought I was in danger. I was merely posting to show that the fires are so bad that even this far away the smoke is still pretty thick. I certainly have nothing to bitch about after watching those videos above, especially the first one. My heart goes out to those people. When I was a child, my family lost everything to fire a couple of times. I vaguely remember those events and how much heartbreak goes into finding that everything you have, save the clothes on your back, is gone.

I work for a Tax office 1 day a week in Rancho Cordova and live in the Pollock Pines/Placerville area, and we were getting the smoke here on some days, depending on the wind.

Look, my expectations for the Orange Occupant Of Our Oval Office are quite low, but it would be nice to see at least a perfunctory tweet or public statement of concern or sympathy for the citizens of a state that voted for his opponent last year.  

Yeah. It would also be nice to win the lottery. I don't see either happening anytime soon. Best to take anything further on this particular aspect back to the Political Discussion thread though.

Partial containment today. Shelter operations ongoing. Pretty standard stress levels for an event of this magnitude at this time. Folks are taking care of one another, lots of support in place.

I'm pretty cashed, going to get 8+ hours tonight no doubt. Then hit it tomorrow for my 7th 12-14 hour shift. Got 4 more days then I will probably be able to take a day off. Folks doing overall a good job of self care, looking out for people they work with and making them take time to sleep.

Not over for a while yet, need to plan accordingly.

City of Napa evacuation orders all just lifted. Starting to shift from EOC towards LAC efforts and repopulation. Hoping to do that anyway, we will see.

Lots of property destruction, loss of life still being determined. Several forensic sites locked down, need cadaver dog teams to check.

Sonoma got even more heavily impacted, obviously.

For any folks wondering about wineries, several with fire damage. Lots of smoke and radiant heat damage as well. Most of harvest was already completed, aside from the hillside cabs.

Admittedly, our perception of Australia is Mad Max, teeming with giant crocodiles, spiders, and snakes, on fire.  It's basically Gamma World.  We appreciate the expertise with fire, but why do you live there?  ;)

Admittedly, our perception of Australia is Mad Max, teeming with giant crocodiles, spiders, and snakes, on fire. It's basically Gamma World. We appreciate the expertise with fire, but why do you live there? ;)

I call it "home". Also fire is just one of natures ways of renewing itself here. So bushfires are common-ish, but can still be dangerous.

Look up Ash Wednesday bushfires in the 1980s, that was a bad one . And in the last decade there have been a couple just as bad if not worse in New South Wales/Victoria & Western Australia.