Photo
- - - - -

Anyone use Kingdom rules from The Ultimate Base?

Kingdom PostApoc

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 ngross

ngross

Powerful Hero

• 245 posts

Posted 12 October 2017 - 10:56 PM

I am tinkering with the idea of running a Fallout/The Morrow Project type of game for my group.  It looks like I have a 6 months to a year, so no pressure in designing it.  I have heard of The Morrow Project and just bought it to mine some ideas.  Additionally, I have played through about 3/4 of  the Fallout 4 video game.  One of the main ideas/missions in Fallout 4 is the creation, building, upkeep, defense, and/or subjugation of settlements.  I was wondering how to represent a settlement other than the classic size of town/base/camp, types of inhabitants, and special features/loot/weapons.  I then remembered that I bought the 'The Ultimate Base' a long time ago.  Never read it, but it mentioned Kingdom Rules in the jacket/write-up.  I am starting to look at them right now.  

I was wondering if many people have used those rules and how they liked them. I am looking at the rules with regard to the following thoughts:

1.  Use Kingdom rules in combat.  Could I speed up combat buy having the PCs classified as a unit and attack the town/base?  Would this simplify things a little too much?  Maybe bore the players....

2.  Should I just use this to organize and cement the idea of the towns, organizations/groups, and bases?

3. Would using something like this push the PCs to actually scout an area and not just go in guns blazing?  Would it actually change the perception of the towns, etc?

So I am coming to the forum for advice on if I should use the Kingdom rules and how to use them if I do.

Norm.

#2 assault

assault

Exenor!

• 6,139 posts

Posted 17 October 2017 - 04:32 PM

Doesn't look like anyone uses them.

Personally, I've never read them.

The character in my avatar is Captain Atom.

#3 megaplayboy

megaplayboy

Left Hook of Justice, Esq

• 20,668 posts

Posted 17 October 2017 - 05:28 PM

I think in the abstract, those rules could work.  The use of STR seems a little hinky, though.  If one unit gives you 10 STR and another 15, is it accurate that combined they give you 25 STR, and if you lose one, your STR drops to the score of the remaining unit?  Seems a bit off.  

ROOMMATE WANTED in Northeast DC, beginning January 1st. If interested, please PM me.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Kingdom, PostApoc