Sign in to follow this  
Jmonty

Hero All-Stars

Hello.

Well, surely most of you know about this page:

http://surbrook.devermore.net/heroallstars/heroallstars.html

So, I like the idea of this All-Stars adventures. But, unfortunately, my imagination can't build adventures with only this. Well, I am running one with the 2008 cast, but without Holmes and Peter Pan, some sort of vampire-western in the first part and a fight against Robur the Conqueror in the second.

It would be nice if Darren still have some notes about the plots of the adventures, and enemies. I understand he could be very busy, but I had to ask.

Sorry if this is not the best forum for asking.

This post includes some mild SPOILERS for anybody who ever wants to play one of these, though I haven't run one in a couple of years now.

OK, the first All-stars game was Pulp, and the heroes were assembled when the dreaded Volcano Master set off a small volcano in the middle of Central Park. After dealing with that, the heroes track back the effects of the volcano machine, which leads them to the caldera of the volcano in the center of Skull Island only a couple of years after Kong's capture. They fight their way through dinosaurs and giant insects to find the Volcano Master, who is in fact in league with the Nazis in his plan to hold cities around the world for ransom.

2005 was 70s-80s heroes. When Steve Austin goes missing on a case, OSI calls FBI agent Bill Maxwell (from Greatest American Hero) to assemble a team of super-agents to track him down. (Maxwell is revealed early on to also be Kelly Robinson from I Spy, which is the one hint we allow.) The team picks up the trail of Los Angeles' master criminal Mister K, who uses amazing androids like Bigfoot and the KISS robots to commit crimes, and follow it all the way back to Fantasy Island (usually by taking the Love Boat, of course.) There, Mister Roarke and Tattoo are revealed to be the heads of the crime ring; more, Tattoo is actually Knickknack from Man With The Golden Gun, and Roarke is of course Khan Noonien Singh, using the advanced-robot-run island of fantasies to raise funds for the coming Eugenics War!  

2006 was Universal Monsters. A mysterious benefactor gathers the players and offers to grant them unimaginable power if they can only recover a magical amulet from a mad scientist's island laboratory near Goldstadt, which is defended by sharks, mole men and a giant tarantula. Of course, none of the monsters wants the others to get the amulet, and nearly every time this was run the group broke down into complete interparty battle. The benefactor is revealed to be Lucy Weston, since unlike most versions of Dracula she escapes in the Universal movie.

2007 was 60s super spies. This time, it's James Bond who disappeared on a mission, and the spies are assembled to find him. They track clues that eventually lead to Goldfinger, who having survived his apparent death is auctioning the right to kill Bond off to an island full of insane villains. The plot also involves the acquisition of the secrets to Bionics, which are of course descended from the work of Victor Frankenstein (and Jaws is himself the first actual Bionic Man, with his deadly mechanical mouth!)

2008 was victorian heroes. An all-star team of villains have discovered Narnia, and are using the Wood Between The Worlds to travel to and rob an entire multiverse. This one was pretty nuts, even by my standards. I had fun with Alice being a slayer in Wonderland, though.

2010 pitted the actual heroes of KISS, along with Alice Cooper and Wendy O Williams, against a plot to steal the soul of a teen fan of the band. They traveled through the worlds of multiple concept albums (including the Yellow Submarine, Xanadu and others) and received assistance from various other bands (ZZ Top showed up to give them the keys to a car when needed, for example.) In the end, they learn that the Devil (played by Ozzy Osbourne) has been tricked into taking an  innocent soul by Pat Boone, who hates that heavy metal has made Hell cool and wants to convert it to Easy Listening as the new ruler. The only way out for our heroes is to get the attention of a currently absentee God, who is played by Johnny Cash.

dw

I ran the 80s one more times than any other - for whatever reason that year I went to a large number of cons. Somewhere around my fourth or fifth run, a player came up to me after the game was over and said, "once I figured out the gag of same-actor-is-same-person and that Roarke was Khan, I kept expecting Captain Kirk to beam in and help us while disguised as an LAPD cop!"

My stunned, only response was, "where the hell were you when I was writing this?!?" dw

Wow, I couldn't climb to this heights of craziness.

But may be my version of this victorian heroes will travel to Narnia soon or later... The all-star team of villains is another interesting thing, but villains often are too egomaniac to work together.

Keep in mind, these were all con games, intended to be run multiple times and frequently part of special events at shows I was guesting at, so putting in the extra time and effort on the details, props, etc. was the least I could do for players who were paying to be there. I don't know that I'm that great a GM in actual play, so at least there was always spectacle so players could go home and say "I played in the craziest game - Dracula and the Mummy got in a big fight and then the Invisible Agent called in an army air strike against the entire party, himself included!" dw

There was also a sequel to the pulp one which I never put up on Mike's site, since it was mostly the same PCs. It was basically a Ghostbusters prequel, though that wasn't clear until the climax, set in Hollywood where the construction of the Hollywoodland sign was suborned by Ivo Shandor and his cult to summon Gozer the Gozerian - "strange, it's made of a magnesium-tungsten alloy." It was always fun to watch people playing Doc Savage, Tarzan and the Shadow suddenly realize where they had heard "Wait for the sign, then all prisoners will be released" before. Whoever failed a PRE roll by the most at the end chose the form of the Destructor - if they all made it, Walt Disney was at the party where it was happening and so he appeared as Mickey Mouse. Fortunately, Mary Poppins was on the team and gave them sufficient firepower to usually defeat him, at least once by sending him into a chalk drawing on the sidewalk. dw

So... Any chance to see more details of this in the future, or the topic is closed?

If anybody has interest, I can post details of my take on the victorian heroes when the play is finished.

OK, and thank you again for your time.

2004 Pulp:

-The volcano cannot be stopped, I suppose the PCs are there to contain damage or save people.

-How can the volcano Master be tracked? Super-science in action, detective work?

-Are there Nazi villains in Skull Island? (from "Masterminds and Madmen")

-Were the game balanced? The PCs look like very powerful, but there are dinosaurs here...

2006 Monsters:

-Had the Mummy any chance to find his lost love in Goldstadt? Any interactions with the lesser mortal beings?

-Could Dracula fly to the island, leaving the other PCs behind?

-The scientist was Cagliostro? Had human minions? Were they vulnerable to Dracula's hypnosis?

-And the Amulet has power, and Lucy is playing right or foul with the PCs?

2007 Spies:

-The villains were all Bond-related?

2008 Victorian:

-Who were the all-star villains?

-And the worlds visited, Narnia, Neverland, Wonderland...?

Just for my own two cents....

2004 Pulp

All pulp adventures are made better by adding Nazis to punch. Hell, everything is made better by punching a nazi!

OK, and thank you again for your time.

2004 Pulp:

-The volcano cannot be stopped, I suppose the PCs are there to contain damage or save people.

People and animals - remember the zoo is in there. Keith Curtis legendarily played Tarzan in one of the first runs of this, in which he began the game by stripping out of his tux, leaping out the window to run across some power lines into the park, broke into the zoo, jumped on the back of an elephant and led all of the animals to safety while screaming and beating his chest. Everybody at the table loved it, except for one puzzled new player who cautiously raised his hand and said, "Umm, doesn't he have to, like, roll any dice to do this?" My response, which was "Of course not, he's f*cking Tarzan!" became the basis for a whole essay on GM-ing philosophy.

-How can the volcano Master be tracked? Super-science in action, detective work?

Yeah, brilliant scientists around the world coordinate their seismograph readings to track the movement of lava and plate tectonics caused by the machine. Doc Savage then draws lines on a map, which all converge in the middle of the Indian Ocean.

-Are there Nazi villains in Skull Island? (from "Masterminds and Madmen")

-Were the game balanced? The PCs look like very powerful, but there are dinosaurs here...

Yes, and to the extent we cared for a 4-6 hour game.

2006 Monsters:

-Had the Mummy any chance to find his lost love in Goldstadt? Any interactions with the lesser mortal beings?

IIRC, he wanted the amulet to get his revenge on the gods who cursed him, and he intended to demonstrate his superiority by bringing his wife back from the dead.

-Could Dracula fly to the island, leaving the other PCs behind?

As a bat? Sure. At that point they're usually still keeping their eyes on each other.

-The scientist was Cagliostro? Had human minions? Were they vulnerable to Dracula's hypnosis?

Cagliostro was a front, an actor hired by Weston. And he def had minions- IIRC, the Mummy did also.

-And the Amulet has power, and Lucy is playing right or foul with the PCs?

It does, and she intends to use it first to kill or enslave Drac.

2007 Spies:

-The villains were all Bond-related?

Some were, but this being an All-Stars game we also threw in ridiculous other ones. The Crazy 88s from Kill Bill were there, as were the Thuggee cult from Help!, THRUSH, KAOS, and others.

2008 Victorian:

-Who were the all-star villains?

Hmm. The White Witch, Moriarty, Captain Hook, the Knave Of Hearts, and a couple more I don't remember.

-And the worlds visited, Narnia, Neverland, Wonderland...?

Yes, and Oz, Pellucidar and a couple more. Another recurring quote from me was "My games are about how much fun it is when the Lone Ranger fights dinosaurs," from a discussion about heavy and deep themes in indie story games. dw