Exploring the Possibilities of HERO System

Demiurgos

Largely my previous post was to discuss a few options.

It seems fairly clear that this character is mostly just using standard mental powers creatively. It's probably more efficient to buy Invisibility rather than AoE Mental Illusions just to cloak himself, but if he was buying the latter power anyway, they should cover "I'm not here" and he wouldn't necessarily need to buy a separate stealth power. Likewise, if he can, for all practical purposes make everyone else in the room ignore his conversation except the person he's chatting with using Mental Illusions, that would seem to be enough.

How it all works also informs its weak spots. A security camera or an audio bug would pick up the conversation, or record his presence. Someone who can resist his Mental Illusions can see right through it. Although the person with whom he's conversing CAN be completely immune to his powers, since that person is actually hearing the real thing (ah, but are they really immune, and are they really hearing him...?) 

I'm a big believer in creative use of powers and special effects and NOT overcomplicating power builds (part of being an old 3rd edition relic).

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My own thoughts are that using Force Wall/Barrier just for a cone of silence is a bit awkward, since it's 100% relying on special effects. That power's primary effect is to block damage and movement. Better to go with direct sense affecting powers when those are available; in this case some form of Invisibility and/or Darkness suggest themselves.

And there you have the character of the boards - if you ask a question you will get multiple ways to do things, all based on sound logic with each person tacking to the position they are most comfortable with in their game.  :-)

I went to the view that there was a sense affecting power in play here but the effect was not like something affecting someone else's senses but erecting a barrier against them.  That is why I went with the force wall route.  It is indeed like building an invisible room.  I thought about using the wall element of Entangle but it seemed to require too many modifiers whereas Force Wall seemed the obvious thing.

That does raise the question about SFX.  It is a pretty trivial effect really and I dont think it should cost too much in the way of points.  I also think that the edge effects are better covered by Force Wall than the other options, Invisibility requires megascale etc and even then might be susceptible to someone further away than that.  I might go and see what Steve thinks about a barrier to senses - seems like it would be a decent adder to the power.  The privacy field SHOULD have a mild defence against sonic attacks and I am building it slightly backwards with the defence providing the main focus rather than the main focus providing a slight defence...but it works in my head.

But for the OP - you now have a few options - none of them are THE way to do it, they all have pros and cons.  In HERO, ultimately, you make a call on what you think best decribes the power you want and how you want it to play.  The best thing  about that is, if it does not play the way you want, you come back in and change the design until it does play they way you want.  :-)

It seems fairly clear that this character is mostly just using standard mental powers creatively.

I don't believe in characters that can "do everything," as I find it boring. What I do believe in, is, after defining what a character's powers are, exploring the full extent of those powers (allowing for some Disadvantages that may affect some uses), and how they can be used in various situations. In my design notes for characters, I put down favored tactics, and if something spontaneously comes up during the course of a role play, I'll make a note of it. As I said before, psionic powers can be generic (telepathy, mind reading, mental blasts, illusions, TK, mind scan, psionic surgery, basically every psionic ability it's possible to have, stay out of sight and snipe from a distance, blah, blah, blah, the exact same tactics), so I didn't give him the typical full gamut of psionic powers, and came up with specific uses unique to him so that he stands out as a unique character rather than being yet another expy. He's not someone given to drawing a lot of attention to himself, and that's how a character's personality can inform the type of powers they have. (e.g., the brash, hot-headed guy just so happens to get fire powers, etc.)

It's probably more efficient to buy Invisibility rather than AoE Mental Illusions just to cloak himself, but if he was buying the latter power anyway, they should cover "I'm not here" and he wouldn't necessarily need to buy a separate stealth power. Likewise, if he can, for all practical purposes make everyone else in the room ignore his conversation except the person he's chatting with using Mental Illusions, that would seem to be enough.

He does have Invisibility to cloak just himself, but the thing was how he could mechanically simultaneously uncloak himself to some people while cloaking himself to everyone else, and cloak himself and some other people. He does already have AoE Mental Illusions regardless whether it came up as a suggestion in this thread or not, and it was the fact that he already had it, and posters happened to mention it as a possibility for Selectively being visible to some people and cloaked to everyone else (which the rules explicitly state can't be done with Invisibility) without knowing the character had it or even anything about the character at all (since I just asked about power constructions and never posted anything about the characters they were for), made it perfect. Since it was already a power he had, he could use it for that purpose as well.

It isn't for stealth per se, as he doesn't have those skills (he's got people for stealth missions), but rather to be unnoticed and not draw attention to himself. Knowledge is power, and if no one knows anything about him he doesn't want them to know, then they can't develop countermeasures against him. There are too many super scientist inventors running around. So he isn't given to flashy displays of power. He has Invisibility and Mental Transform in a That Which is Done in Secret Will Remain Secret power grouping. He conceals the fact that he has powers, and his doings outside of his civilian identity. In The Usual Suspects, "Kobayashi" said Kaiser Soze couldn't be betrayed because he had no people, and people who worked for him didn't even know they were. This character uses Mental Illusions so that none of his minions have ever seen his true face or heard his true voice. Mental Transform to erase memory of anything he doesn't want other people to find out (they literally wouldn't know anything to tell). Then under another appearance give a Mind Control order for their next instructions. Have meetings in public places that no one sees or hears. He works primarily behind the scenes. No one sees him coming until he's already established himself.

How it all works also informs its weak spots. A security camera or an audio bug would pick up the conversation, or record his presence. Someone who can resist his Mental Illusions can see right through it. Although the person with whom he's conversing CAN be completely immune to his powers, since that person is actually hearing the real thing (ah, but are they really immune, and are they really hearing him...?)

Correct. Those are the intended weaknesses they're supposed to have. It only affects sentient beings, so does nothing against security cameras. If he used an Illusionary Disguise, regardless what everyone saw, any cameras would record his actual image even if absolutely no one recalls every seeing that person and swears they never came in that day. He could be bugged, and his conversation recorded even if no one actually there at the time heard it. Resisting the illusion is a possibility, though that would require someone being able to do so just happening to be at the right place at the right time (or the wrong place at the wrong time, depending on whose perspective one is taking).

And there you have the character of the boards - if you ask a question you will get multiple ways to do things, all based on sound logic with each person tacking to the position they are most comfortable with in their game.  :-)

I went to the view that there was a sense affecting power in play here but the effect was not like something affecting someone else's senses but erecting a barrier against them.  That is why I went with the force wall route.  It is indeed like building an invisible room.

Hence why it appealed to me, because to me it elicited a comparison to a invisible soundproofed room. And it doesn't matter how far away someone is from a soundproofed room, they can't hear the sound, whereas someone outside the area of effect of a sense-affecting power wouldn't be affected by it.

But for the OP - you now have a few options - none of them are THE way to do it, they all have pros and cons.  In HERO, ultimately, you make a call on what you think best decribes the power you want and how you want it to play.  The best thing  about that is, if it does not play the way you want, you come back in and change the design until it does play they way you want.  :-)

I appreciate all the suggestions, as they gave me options to think about, and I'll take a closer look at them. Indeed playtesting once I get a grasp on the HERO System game rules could iron stuff out. I've built characters one way in other systems, but after actually playing with them, made some changes until they got to the point they were performing as I wanted.

I'd like to note that many GMs (at least of the ones I know) will not allow you to Detect a large class of things in an individual target.  Note, individual GMs have different acceptances of what is valid.  Your GM may beg to differ from my opinion.  

The detect large class of things explanation will sound strange but I'll try to explain my point of view.

When you detect or sense, you get a minimum of knowledge.  For example, if you can detect automobiles.  That may be a large class of things depending on the number and variety of automobiles in the campaign.  This would be acceptable by most GMs.  Detecting the automobile is not the same as determining the make, model, year, etc.  You just note that there is an automobile and probably general direction, size, and maybe shape/manufacturer depending on the GM (ex: You detect 2 cars to your left, one is a convertible and one pick up to your right.").  Just very basic level of information.  With discriminatory, you get more detailed information.  You will be able to tell the make, model, year, VIN, license plate.  Everything you need to know to identify that vehicle from another similar vehicle.  (ex: "You detect two cars to your left.  One is a 2005 Miata license plate 2vhk000.  The other is a 1957 Ford Fairlane license plate 5jtd876 ... etc.")  At the analyze level, you can tell even more detailed information about the subjects (ex: "The Miata has a half tank of fuel and has been run recently.  Two bullet holes are in the trunk.").

The base detect gives information which is basic but not enough to identify the target by itself.  Discriminatory give you enough information to identify the target.  Analyze gives you the next level from Discriminatory with more information on the target.  Note none of these give you targeting, but from what your weapon sounds like, you still use your normal sight to target so its not an issue.

So your detect would probably be something like detect physiology discriminatory and analyze.  At just the detect level, you could probably tell if the target is healthy, hurt, awake, stunned, impaired, or unconscious and how a general level of resiliency (normal, tough, inhuman).  At the discriminatory level, you could probably tell how much damage they have taken, what their general defenses are, what their current level of STUN, BODY, END is at, how much recovery they have.  At the analyze level, you could probably detect if their defenses are hardened, impenetrable, and at what level; other special defenses; probably vulnerabilities and susceptibilities; what caused the wounds; etc.

Hmm... thank you for your input. It seems Physiology should cover STR, CON, STUN, BOD, etc., and the information you said discriminatory and analyze provide would be the kind of stuff this particular character would want to know.

After looking at MegaScale after what you said earlier, how much would you advise, as MegaScale is an effect I haven't previously encountered. Would several blocks in every direction be sufficient? I suppose a PC could always come up with something, but there's no reason for anyone who happens to be present at the time to suspect anything.

Hmm... thank you for your input. It seems Physiology should cover STR, CON, STUN, BOD, etc., and the information you said discriminatory and analyze provide would be the kind of stuff this particular character would want to know.

After looking at MegaScale after what you said earlier, how much would you advise, as MegaScale is an effect I haven't previously encountered. Would several blocks in every direction be sufficient? I suppose a PC could always come up with something, but there's no reason for anyone who happens to be present at the time to suspect anything.

changing the scale with megascale to 1m = 1km probably should be sufficient with an area of effect of 4m radius.  That would be over a mile in all directions.

Had a chance to look at the rules now (though I only have 4th and 6th in pdf - 5th is safe at home on the bookshelf...) and in 4th (which I suspect is probably identical to 5th in this) Force Wall could be made opaque to one sense for a +5 adder and to a sense group for a +10 adder.  There is no provision for the adder to be transparent in one direction but I think to say transparent one direction for sound would be a +10 adder...

For 30 active points you would get a 4ED Forcewall, 4m in length (a 1.2m diameter circle) and completely invisible (I am being strict in interpreting the length - it says 1" (2m) for every 5 points in the power but does not explicitly exclude adders and advantages - in my game I would give this a reasonable 4m diameter.  Also strict in minimum cost (10points) which I take to mean 10 points of defence bought, not including adders and advantages).  You would get a 2.5m diameter for 40 active points and a 4m diameter for 50 active points.

The costs are very much about the length of the wall and keeping it fully invisible.  If there were some way people might notice that it existed (it might hum slightly, or be warm or something) then the cost would fall.

Doc 

D'oh!

Adders are still there in 6e, same cost. They're just listed under Opaque in the modifier section. 

The real problem with Force Wall/Barrier is that it physically exists, will prevent movement and has PD and ED and BODY. They can be created with 0 values in those, but my understanding is that effectively gives you a soap bubble that is destroyed as soon as something moves through it.

It works neatly for a Cone of Silence or a highway noise barrier, which have physical presence, but for a silence zone that people can enter or leave, Darkness with a hole in the middle is probably a better solution (note that hole in the middle doesn't let you hear what's going on outside the zone).

D'oh!

Adders are still there in 6e, same cost. They're just listed under Opaque in the modifier section. 

The real problem with Force Wall/Barrier is that it physically exists, will prevent movement and has PD and ED and BODY. They can be created with 0 values in those, but my understanding is that effectively gives you a soap bubble that is destroyed as soon as something moves through it.

It works neatly for a Cone of Silence or a highway noise barrier, which have physical presence, but for a silence zone that people can enter or leave, Darkness with a hole in the middle is probably a better solution (note that hole in the middle doesn't let you hear what's going on outside the zone).

You can set it to be transparent to either PD or ED.  If you set it transparent to physical then people can walk through it without concern.

Oh - and as for the static, the player can set himself to be the centre of the force wall and it would move with him.  That is no cost.  I think as GM, if the ability was through a focus, I would allow it to be centred on the focus.

Doc

Barrier implementation may have problems.  I don't think transparent works that way according to RAW, but the GM can easily hand wave this (or the advantage needs to be bought twice or a limitation on the power placed such that it allows people to walk through).

Personal Immunity would not work on Barrier as it would eject those immune to it per RAW.  So those inside the barrier with personal immunity would not hear or see anything outside the barrier.

6e1 pg 173 under Barrier

One-Way Transparent (+½, +1): With the GM’s
permission, a character could define a Barrier
as being One-Way Transparent, meaning attacks
from one direction pass through unhindered
while the normal rules apply to attacks from the
other direction. The character defines which direction
the transparency works with when he buys
Barrier, and cannot change it thereafter.
     For a +½ Advantage, the Barrier is transparent
to a single attack or specific group of attacks; for a
+1 Advantage it’s transparent to all attacks. This is
an Advantage, since it’s assumed the character will
use the Barrier to protect himself while making
attacks through it unhindered; if that’s not the
case the GM might consider reducing the value, or
even making One-Way Transparent a Limitation.
Personal Immunity: Buying Personal Immunity
for his Barrier does not allow a character to walk
through and/or attack through his own Barrier
without hindrance. It simply prevents him from
being englobed by it.

The rules for this kind of thing did change in 6th edition.  I will have to peruse the rules to see how I would do it there.  In 5th edition, the stuff we are talking about works great.  I will have to really sit down and read the 6th Edition Barrier rules.

In 5th edition force wall - you could make your force wall essentially two way transparent to either energy or physical damage,  The passage of the one not defended against by the barrier would not cause it to collapse.  As 5th edition is what the OP is using - this is still valid but a quick scan of 6th suggests that Barrier is not the solution.

Doc

You can set it to be transparent to either PD or ED.  If you set it transparent to physical then people can walk through it without concern.

Unless they're carrying a candle or lit cigarette. Then I guess the ED barrier would snuff the flame.  Of course in the example being discussed it's Sonic only, so that particular thing would not happen.

However, what CAN happen is that a sonic attack can punch a hole in the barrier and negate the impervious to sound, which I'm not sure was a desired effect.

for a silence zone that people can enter or leave, Darkness with a hole in the middle is probably a better solution (note that hole in the middle doesn't let you hear what's going on outside the zone).

I was looking in the rulebook, and came across this while looking at the Hole In the Middle Advantage:

Example: Arkelos wants to be able to talk to his friends without anyone else hearing. He buys a Silence Field — Darkness that affects the Hearing Sense Group, with a 3" radius. He then buys the Power Advantage Hole In The Middle (+¼) for the Silence Field, defining it as the one hex in the center of the Silence Field. Now Arkelos and his friends can sit in the middle of the Field and converse without fear of being overheard. (5ER 259)

So it seems that's the simplest, most straightforward way to do it since that's specifically what the example is constructing. For +½ you can alter the size of the hole with every use to make it as big as it needs to be to accommodate however many number of people (it wouldn't be many though, as the more people there are, the harder it is to keep secret). As you said though, one wouldn't be able to hear anything outside of it just as no one outside of it can hear into it. (On an aside, there was a wind controller character I was working on, and it's nice to see that HERO has a way of simulating the eye of a hurricane.)

Another way to build the privacy zone is to use images (mental or regular) and make the center of the zone unaffected with personal immunity (defined as those in the center of the zone).  The image is of no one there.  This build came out around the time of Predator the movie as another way to build invisibility in my group.

I was looking at Images vs. Mental Illusions for the option of not appearing to anyone except a certain number of people, and with the former anyone perceiving it makes a PER Roll, and if they fail they believe the Image (that no one's there, or the background behind him fills up the space he's standing in) is real, and with the latter, an Attack Roll is made, the illusion is defined (no one's there), the level of effect to achieve the desired illusion is looked up on the Mental Illusions Effects Table (I'm presuming this to be a Major Change, an important object not appearing to vision, EGO + 10 effect), then the Effect Roll is made. I was thinking about your suggestion and thinking about how an Image vs. Illusion would differ, and this is my line of thinking.

It seems that using Images to model the Selective Invisibility would represent the character essentially Photoshopping the observers' vision, overlaying the image of the space he's occupying over himself, so that it looks like nothing's there. It seems noticing with a PER Roll that something's "off" might be more accurate. If he were to actually do something offensively, or hide something being done that that would be an Illusion, but just to make everyone see the background minus himself could be done with Images. And this is an example of the difference in systems, as in the system I built it in, Illusion would be the only way to do it. But in HERO, there's the option of using Illusion to make something that isn't happening appear to or something that is happening appear not to, or Images to make someone see (or not see) something, and could be used to differentiate a more precise, specialized usage for only one particular purpose, which I like.

How does that sound?

Images and Mental Illusions can arrive at the same destination, but they have major differences. Images don't require an effect roll and are inherently multi-target (anyone who can perceive them is affected) but can be seen as fake with a Perception roll. Mental Illusions require both an attack and an effect roll, and the base power is single target. Images (which can be made a Mental power if you like) are better for simply passing information; failing to roll well enough may mean Mental Illusions does nothing, while even if the target(s) see the image is a fake, they will still hear/read/see etc what it is.

Demiguros a point about mind link and Hero system in general. Sometimes a Power doesn’t seem like a good fit because of the name. However if you look at the mechanical aspects of the Power it may work better than another power. Also Powers can change “classes” if you will. Like the mind link example I mentioned earlier, it’s bought iirc as an iif - helmet radio. So it’s not a mental power anymore but radio now.

Btw I have no horse in this race and understand if you like a build x instead of y. I know for myself It took awhile for the bit of Hero wisdom to sink in.

The game, through the editions has been slowly purging the SFX from the names of the powers.  It helps to divorce the game mechanic you are buying from the special effect that you are trying to model.  Once you have the idea of Energy Blast in your head, it is difficult to imagine it as a series of knives, or random thrown objects.  There is still some way to go...

I have been reading the rules again.  Still not 100% convinced 6th can do this privacy field as well as 5th could.  :-)

Doc

The game, through the editions has been slowly purging the SFX from the names of the powers.  It helps to divorce the game mechanic you are buying from the special effect that you are trying to model.  Once you have the idea of Energy Blast in your head, it is difficult to imagine it as a series of knives, or random thrown objects.  There is still some way to go...

Well, the explanation is simple if you look at it logically.

In the case of propelled physical objects, you're blasting them (blast, v. force or throw something in a specified direction by impact or explosion, shoot with a gun, strike hard) with it from range, and kinetic energy is involved (in Marvel, vibranium absorbs kinetic energy, which is why it makes Black Panther bulletproof when he wears it). Hence why it encompasses both energy blasts as people commonly think of and physical ranged attacks. There's nothing wrong with the name, one just has to think past beams, rays, etc. of energy.

Images and Mental Illusions can arrive at the same destination, but they have major differences. Images don't require an effect roll and are inherently multi-target (anyone who can perceive them is affected) but can be seen as fake with a Perception roll. Mental Illusions require both an attack and an effect roll, and the base power is single target. Images (which can be made a Mental power if you like) are better for simply passing information; failing to roll well enough may mean Mental Illusions does nothing, while even if the target(s) see the image is a fake, they will still hear/read/see etc what it is.

Ah, okay. That's something to keep in mind then. I just wanted to give equal consideration to each suggestion and take a closer look. I was looking at power construction first (since it would simply be a matter of getting familiar with any new effects that don't have an equivalent from the system I'm used to), then acclimate myself to HERO System's rules for combat since those are completely different. But with Mental Illusions this character would translate to 13d6 in HERO System (I'm undecided as to whether to attempt to directly translate characters to what they would be in HERO System, or to readjust them to scale to the Champions universe). That would be an average roll of 45.5. "Noteworthy" and "Skilled Normals" are listed with 10 EGO, and "Competent Normals" have 11, so it seems using Illusions around the average Joe he isn't going to have any problem achieving the effect he wants.

Demiguros a point about mind link and Hero system in general. Sometimes a Power doesn’t seem like a good fit because of the name. However if you look at the mechanical aspects of the Power it may work better than another power. Also Powers can change “classes” if you will. Like the mind link example I mentioned earlier, it’s bought iirc as an iif - helmet radio. So it’s not a mental power anymore but radio now.

Btw I have no horse in this race and understand if you like a build x instead of y. I know for myself It took awhile for the bit of Hero wisdom to sink in.

Despite what I said earlier, I've been taking a look at it. There's what I initially say at the time, but I take a closer look at everything afterwards, and something different may be realized at that point.

It says, "Once established, Mind Link does not require Line Of Sight, and is only broken when either party wants to 'hang up' " (5ER 204). Is there any way to make it so that only the character who initiates it can "hang up"? Since he's enabling them to see him, they don't have control to be able to not see him anymore, he has to withdraw it so that they're no longer able to perceive him.

Well, the explanation is simple if you look at it logically.

In the case of propelled physical objects, you're blasting them (blast, v. force or throw something in a specified direction by impact or explosion, shoot with a gun, strike hard) with it from range, and kinetic energy is involved (in Marvel, vibranium absorbs kinetic energy, which is why it makes Black Panther bulletproof when he wears it). Hence why it encompasses both energy blasts as people commonly think of and physical ranged attacks. There's nothing wrong with the name, one just has to think past beams, rays, etc. of energy.

You are wrong, there is a problem with the name, it has been demonstrated for years that there is a problem, hence it was changed to Blast in 6th edition.

I know what you are saying, most of us here are adept at divorcing power name and game effect, not true of most people that we want to play the game.

So everyone's provided more than enough suggestions, and once again I thank everyone. You've all been tremendously helpful.

I'm still looking more at some of the other suggestions (like Mind Link), but for the moment, this is a writeup of what I have enough of a handle on to writeup. I'll do one for 5th edition and one for 6th. I have the 5th ed. rules, but HERO Designer enables me to do both.

For 5th edition:

That Which is Done in Secret Will Remain Secret:

Multipower, 150-point reserve

1) Privacy from Prying Ears: Darkness to Hearing

Group 4” radius, Hole In The Middle (+1/2) (30

Active Points)

2) Only You Can See Me: Mental Illusions 13d6,

Reduced Endurance (1/2 END; +1/4), MegaScale

(1” = 1 km; +1/4), Area Of Effect (10” Radius; +1)

Selective (+1/4) (179 Active Points); Limited Power

Power loses about half of its effectiveness (Only to

Make Self Invisible; -1), No Range (-1/2), Stops

Working If Mentalist Is Stunned (-1/2), Does Not

Provide Mental Awareness (-1/4)

2) Imperceivable: Invisibility to Sight, Hearing and

Smell/Taste, No Fringe (40 Active Points);

Limited Power Power loses about a third of its

effectiveness (Only Works Against Sentient Beings;

-1/2)

3) A Drink from the River Lethe: Major Transform 4d6

(removes memories, heals back normally), Invisible

to Mental Group (+1/4), Works Against EGO, Not

BODY (+1/4), Based On EGO Combat Value (Mental

Defense applies; +1), (135 Active Points); Limited

Power Power loses about half of its effectiveness

(Only To Remove Memories; -1), No Range (-1/2),

Limited Target ([Limited]; humans; -1/2)

It still irks me a bit that the areas are automatically chosen. Is there nothing that can be done? The Darkness field came out right, but the MegaScaled Mental Illusions needs to be 4", not 10". The Mental Transform needs one more limit, that it can only be used to remove memories of the character or memories pertaining to the character rather than absolutely any memory. What would you all suggest would be a reasonable cost for this?

For 6th edition:

Power

That Which is Done in Secret Will Remain Secret:

Multipower, 180-point reserve

1) Privacy from Prying Ears: Darkness to Hearing

Group 4m radius; Hole In The Middle (can be

changed any time; +1/2) (18 Active Points)

Reduced Endurance (1/2 END; +1/4), Area Of Effect

(4m Radius; +1/4), Selective (+1/4), MegaScale (1m

= 1 km; +1) (179 Active Points); Limited Power

Power loses about half of its effectiveness (Only To

Working If Mentalist Is Stunned (-1/2)

3) Imperceivable: Invisibility to Sight, Hearing and

Smell/Taste Groups, No Fringe (40 Active Points);

Limited Power Power loses about a third of its

Effectiveness (Only Works Against Sentient Beings;

-1/2)

4) A Drink from the River Lethe: Major Transform 4d6

(removes memories, heals back normally), Invisible

Power Effects (Inobvious to [one Sense Group]

Mental; + 1/4), Works Against EGO, Not BODY (+1/4),

Based On EGO Combat Value (+1) (100 Active

Points); Limited Power Power loses about half of its

Effectiveness (Only To Remove Memories; -1), No

Range (-1/2), Limited Target ([Limited]; humans;

-1/2)

I like that you can choose the area instead of them being chosen for you. I see that some powers cost the same and some are different between the two.

I was wondering if it was okay to ask a couple more questions, to keep everything consolidated in here rather than make a new thread later. This has been the most responsive group thus far, but at the same time I don't want to wear out my welcome having just registered, and make everyone sick of my questions. If not, it's okay, since everyone's been welcoming and gone above and beyond as it is.

It still irks me a bit that the areas are automatically chosen. Is there nothing that can be done?

Apply a small Limitation to cut the area down to size.

The Darkness field came out right, but the MegaScaled Mental Illusions needs to be 4", not 10". The Mental Transform needs one more limit, that it can only be used to remove memories of the character or memories pertaining to the character rather than absolutely any memory. What would you all suggest would be a reasonable cost for this?

I don't think the -1 Limitation you're using now, "Only to remove memories" is a valid Limitation. HOWEVER, change it to "only removes memories pertaining to the character" and I think it's valid at that value.

For 6th edition:

Multipower, 180-point reserve

Reduced Endurance (1/2 END; +1/4), Area Of Effect

(4m Radius; +1/4), Selective (+1/4), MegaScale (1m

= 1 km; +1) (179 Active Points); Limited Power

Power loses about half of its effectiveness (Only To

Working If Mentalist Is Stunned (-1/2)

[

You do realize that while using that particular power, you can NOT use ANY OTHER of the slots in the Multipower, right?

Lucius Alexander

And an illusionary palindromedary.