Sign in to follow this  
Tech priest support

Reverse the polarity of the plotron flow!

"Don't call me a hero - I ain't got it in me. I just like killing - and fortune has seen fit to put a bunch of ******* who need it in front of me.  When they're gone you're going to have a choice between putting me down or running like hell  - but y'all better start thinkin' about that long and hard now: When the time comes you ain't going to have time to take a vote."

See also: murder-hobos

Is a murder hobo doing the right thing?

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary wonders what to call someone who does the left thing for the right reasons

Also, bank robbers are the protagonist of many films. If you are tired of allways playing the same side of law... You can have more or less honorable thieves as PCs.

The problem is, in the heist films, the audience must be surprised by the clever plot. That can't be translated into RPG. The other option is a plot complicates and fails. (Or a superhero appears. May be interesting if a superhero campaign has a moment to focus in normals against superpowered, if only to show how above mortals are your heroes)

Or the criminal PCs can be against something more evil than themselves.

Yeah, it's truly tricky to run something akin to Oceans Eleven or Now You See Me with the players as the crew, since they know how its done. Bank Robbery plots like those in Baby Driver where the plan is known and the dramatic tension comes from things going wrong are much easier.

Potentially, with player agreement, you could have them play without knowing the full story, especially if the crew leader is an NPC. So they do their role and only find out the whole sting at the end. The Sting is the granddaddy of them all, of course:) 

I did a "dark" take on Star Trek TNG in which the players would be rebels against the "psychocrats" who had taken over the Federation.  They had banned genetic engineering because they didn't want anyone messing up their engineering of humanity to be docile.  They placed "counselors" on all the big Starfleet ships to police their loyalty and ideological purity.  They outlawed currency transactions so that the government would act as the intermediary in commercial transactions outside of the grey market.   They are treating pre-warp drive worlds as laboratories to develop their social manipulation techniques, starting back as far as the time one of their agents recreated the Nazi party on an alien world to study the results before they'd even really taken over.  They're in the process of handing frontier worlds to other powers so they can concentrate on managing the Federation's core.