Site Upgrade

Simon

Options were toggled based on software defaults.  "I deleted all the e-mails without reading one" is on you.  

Yes, I am frustrated that you seem to expect others to take care of things for you and continue complaining and questioning when it's pointed out (repeatedly) that you can and should handle it on your own.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Once again (for posterity):  there are a LOT more options.  From following people (and receiving notifications when they post), to following forums, news articles, products, receiving notifications when your name is mentioned, etc.

All configurable under notification settings.  Any email received contains a link to the specific notification setting that generated it (in the event that you want to change it).

I just noticed that the, "bold" text style is on by default and can't be turned off. As examples:

This is normal text.

This is bold text.

This is italic text.

This is bold italic text.

This is underlined text.

This is bold underlined text.

This is italic underlined text.

This is bold underlined italic text.

10 hours ago, IndianaJoe3 said:

I just noticed that the, "bold" text style is on by default and can't be turned off. As examples:

This is normal text.

This is bold text.

This is italic text.

This is bold italic text.

This is underlined text.

This is bold underlined text.

This is italic underlined text.

This is bold underlined italic text.

No idea what you're talking about....all examples you posted are fine.

I am having some issues with SPOILER tags. While the opening tag is procesed properly, the closing Tags seem to be ignored.

If I write:

This is before SPOILER.

[SPOILER]
This is in Spoiler
[/SPOILER]

This is between Spoilers

[SPOILER]
This is Spoiler 2
[/SPOILER]

This is after Spoilers

I get:

This is before SPOILER.

This is in Spoiler

This is between Spoilers

This is Spoiler 2

This is after Spoilers

Edit:
Okay, somehow this keeps working. But I have issues in many other threads, particular:

Where I have one Spoiler tag around each set of Videos.

12 hours ago, Simon said:

Don't embed videos in spoilers?

Videos are large. That is the one thing I want to embed into Spoilers the most, in order to not break up the formating too much with a screen filling image.

Plus if ia Video somehow breaks that, there is something fundamentally wrong with the HTML creation or post saving when Videos are concerned.

18 hours ago, Old Man said:

My email inbox is most grateful to you for pointing this out.

Welcome.

The first couple of times I visited the notification settings, I thought the initial view was it.  Then when Simon was talking about all the different settings in there. I *almost* asked him "where" but decided to go and look more thoroughly.

That's when I saw the scroll bar and had my "ah-ha!" moment.  Figured I'd share . . . :)

I have a quick comment/question: When I log in to the new site, I'm not automatically logged in as I was before. My login information is remembered, and automatically filled in on the login screen, and the "remember me" box is checked, but I'm not "remembered." I've tried logging out and logging back in, unchecking the box, and deleting the login info from my keychain, but I still get the same results. My other devices (iPad, iPhone) automatically log me in and I'm remembered each time I visit. It's only on my computer, and this is only after the update was made. 

Am I missing or forgetting something?

30 minutes ago, Brian Stanfield said:

I have a quick comment/question: When I log in to the new site, I'm not automatically logged in as I was before. My login information is remembered, and automatically filled in on the login screen, and the "remember me" box is checked, but I'm not "remembered." I've tried logging out and logging back in, unchecking the box, and deleting the login info from my keychain, but I still get the same results. My other devices (iPad, iPhone) automatically log me in and I'm remembered each time I visit. It's only on my computer, and this is only after the update was made. 

Am I missing or forgetting something?

Usually those "remain logged in" mechanics work on a really long lasting cookie. Short of cleaning up all the cookies on closure or having a totally miss set clock*, nothing should break this.

*That would also cause other issues like Certificates always being out of date.

Maybe the link to the subpage you saved no longer works, and the Forum is redirecting you to the Login on because it asumes you must be "not logged in". Could you share what precise link you follow to come here? Particulary if it is Autocomplete/recently visited?
For example, the "often Visited" list still has "http://www.herogames.com/forums/index.php?app=core&module=search&do=followed" as the URL. Wich does not work anymore.
I saved the new link "http://www.herogames.com/forums/discover/followed-content/?&stream_include_comments=0&view=condensed", but recently visited listings still show the old page. Until I visit the new link a bit more often.

I bookmarked Herogames.com/index.html. This is the same link I use on my other devices, and they "remember" me when I go to the site. I'll switch to my iPad here in a little bit while I get settled in for the night, and when I use that link it's automatically log me in.

Although . . . now that I think about it, i did have to log on with those other devices on the new site the first time after it was updated. They stuck, but the MacBook Pro hasn't. So the iOS devices are working properly, but he OS X device isn't.

2 hours ago, Brian Stanfield said:

I bookmarked Herogames.com/index.html. This is the same link I use on my other devices, and they "remember" me when I go to the site. I'll switch to my iPad here in a little bit while I get settled in for the night, and when I use that link it's automatically log me in.

Although . . . now that I think about it, i did have to log on with those other devices on the new site the first time after it was updated. They stuck, but the MacBook Pro hasn't. So the iOS devices are working properly, but he OS X device isn't.

For myself, I find that the main page (news) doesn't remember me but as soon as I move to the forums it does.  No login required.  See if you find the same...

1 hour ago, Amorkca said:

For myself, I find that the main page (news) doesn't remember me but as soon as I move to the forums it does.  No login required.  See if you find the same...

I can confirm this. If the first page I visit in Firefox in any Firefox session is http://www.herogames.com/index.html the forum indeed does not register that I am logged in.
But if I got to any other page first, the running login is properly noticed. And if visit that page later I am logged in.

That is really odd behavior, but at least it should be predictable so it is debuggable.

Edit: Even repetedly refreshing that index page does not log me in.
However if I try my above link that goes to the 404 page, I am logged in. And once login has been "confirmed" by any other page, the index.html usually notices it too. So something is wrong with the index.html

Theory: If the current Forum Session Cookie is set to "Browser Session Lifetime" and the "remember I was logged in" cookie is set to a much higher time, the server would have to create a Session Cookie everytime you log in, that you have a valid "remember me" cookie. But exactly that line of code might be missing/broken on the index.html.

18 hours ago, Christopher said:

I can confirm this. If the first page I visit in Firefox in any Firefox session is http://www.herogames.com/index.html the forum indeed does not register that I am logged in.
But if I got to any other page first, the running login is properly noticed. And if visit that page later I am logged in.

19 hours ago, Amorkca said:

Same thing happened for me. I'm not recognized on the top page, but as soon as I go to the forums, I am recognized as logged in. 

I'm not trying to antagonize you, Simon, but it does seem to be a bug. The site wasn't behaving this way before. I was just pointing it out. It was my understanding that that is the purpose of this thread. If I'm mistaken, please forgive my posts.

Let's do this once more for posterity:  I did not write the software for the forums.  I am not interested in changing the code, "debugging" or anything else.  The software for this site works just fine for Fortune 100 companies...I suspect it will do just fine for HERO Games.

If you have a question about how the forums work (since there are a LOT of changes), that's fair game.  If you think there's a bug, by all means ask...but if there is a perfectly reasonable "fix" suggested -- USE IT.  Don't keep posting about your personal theories on how the code for the site is written and how it should be fixed.

There is no "index.html" page for the site -- that is entirely handled via redirect in .htaccess file for the docroot, since the site resides in the /forums subdirectory (beneath docroot).   That is not an invitation to figure out "what's wrong" with the current redirection scheme vis a vis auto-login -- it's simply an explanation of how things work and why those who are positing theories on what's going wrong "in the code" are out of their depth.  Just do what works and move on.