Simon

Site Upgrade

20 hours ago, Simon said:

Curious that you're trying to debug code that you've never seen...and which doesn't exist.

I simply can not help myself from analysing Progrmam behavior. It just happens when I use it. WIth Webpages the Browser and how long it stores cookies is part of the Programm Flow. Especially when logins are concerend. And cookie behavior is the one thing I have complete awareness and even control off.

11 hours ago, Simon said:

Let's do this once more for posterity:  I did not write the software for the forums.  I am not interested in changing the code, "debugging" or anything else.  The software for this site works just fine for Fortune 100 companies...I suspect it will do just fine for HERO Games.

Maybe you could at least relay the bug? I can only check the client side behavior, not the server side configuration.

Continuing:

There seem only two cookies that are deleted with Browser Closure:
ips4_IPSSessionFront and ips4_ipsTimezone

All others have "this should never be deleted on a frequent visitor" Enddates.

And killing ips4_IPSSessionFront via Firefox ability to  does indeed result in the index page turning up in the "not logged in" status. And it is not regenerated until I visit any other page.

You can do with that information what you want:
Ignore it.

Relay it.

I know fully well that even with knowing the exact behavior causing the issue, solving it might be infeasible or somebody elses job (and better kept that way).

Doing a full 4 sides model analysis of my intentions (as these tend to not transmit via text):

Factual Side: The primary purpose

Self revelation: Look, I am good at this. Writing "Awesome Programmer" as Forumtitle was not hyperbole.

Relationship: We are both programmers.

Appeal: Intentionally left blank, because I see how demanding people on Forums can be over the slightest bugs that have the most complex fixes.

6 minutes ago, Christopher said:

Maybe you could at least relay the bug? I can only check the client side behavior, not the server side configuration.

Let's go with "No."

Just. Stop.

You have a solution.  Use it and move along.

Has anyone else experienced this: when you post a comment quoting a post that's not on the most-recent page of the thread, the old software would take you to the most-recent page so you could see your new post. The new software doesn't do that, it seems to leave you on the page you were quoting from and doesn't give you a notification that your post went through. As a result, I wound up creating 3 or 4 duplicate posts before I realized what was going on. Could just be user error, of course, but seemed odd.

10 hours ago, bigdamnhero said:

Has anyone else experienced this: when you post a comment quoting a post that's not on the most-recent page of the thread, the old software would take you to the most-recent page so you could see your new post. The new software doesn't do that, it seems to leave you on the page you were quoting from and doesn't give you a notification that your post went through. As a result, I wound up creating 3 or 4 duplicate posts before I realized what was going on. Could just be user error, of course, but seemed odd.

Doesn't matter if you're quoting or not -- you're using the quick reply form at the bottom of the page.  Replies will always go to the end of the thread, but having the page change from your current selection is non-ideal, so you'll need to just trust the "Saving..." and clearing of the form.

Doesn't matter if you're quoting or not -- you're using the quick reply form at the bottom of the page.  Replies will always go to the end of the thread, but having the page change from your current selection is non-ideal...

I thought with the old software, entering a comment with Quick Reply would change the page to the most-recent page? [shrug] I'm not sure either way is significantly better, just different.

...so you'll need to just trust the "Saving..." and clearing of the form.

Well that's the thing, IIRC it didn't clear the form or give me a SAVING label or anything to trust in?

Yeah...it's doing both.  If you're not seeing it, you're going to want to check your system's settings -- browser cache (how is that still a thing?), any script blockers, etc.

The site is working as-designed.