Thor: Ragnarok spoiler thread

Bazza

1 hour ago, Matt the Bruins said:

Completely ignoring the fact that Odin has enchanted at least one similar hammer (Stormbreaker) with the same powers as Mjolnir without having to wrangle some cosmic storm into it.

Mjöllnir was made by the Dwarfs. As was Stormbraker. They propably did all the "Wrangling" nessesary.

Or they just allowed Stormbreaker to tap into Odins power via a link to Mjöllnir (as Thor usually carries it).

The dwarves made Stormbreaker, but Odin also transferred the old "whomsoever is worthy shall have the power of Thor" enchantment. Which he placed on Mjolnir way back when he originally banished Goldilocks to Midgard as Donald Blake for being a dick, which he deemed Thor no longer needed. That also had the side effect of giving Beta Ray Bill a normal body again (the Donald Blake effect), instead of the bionic one he'd volunteered to be made into to act as guardian for his sleeping people. Among other things that helped with his love life. And I believe Lady Sif may have benefited.

Man, I'm surprised I remembered all that, but it's clear as crystal.  

Edit: Looked it up - all the making of Stormbreaker stuff happened in Thor #339.

14 hours ago, Christopher said:

But I think this defies a simple buying off of a limitaiton. He changed all the way from a Hammerwielding Asgardian Melee Warrior to a flying Energy Blaster.

Sortof.

Pre-Ragnarok MCU Thor:

Super strong and resilient. Expert trained warrior.

Hammer increases his superstrength damage, has range, can be used to fly, used as a focus to call down lightning.

Post-Ragnarok MCU Thor:

Still super strong and resilient. Expert trained warrior.

Uses lesser weapons to increase his superstrength damage. Throws around lightning directly. Flight ability might be gone as his hammer can't pull him off any more. I think we may have seen him hover, but don't recall if it was that or a leap.

He's still a melee warrior who has lightning powers. He always was. But he's lost the focus limit on those, probably had them buffed a bit (he can now do the biggest lightning bolt in the history of lightning bolts!) as well as all the neat tricks he could do with Mjolnir (Hold Loki and dragons in place, threaten Loki, prove that the other Avengers except Vision aren't worthy, physically smash things that might have a lightning conductor on them...). Also lost depth perception; there's a physical complication there.

Dunno. Feels a lot more like a "radiation accident" rewrite with similar points to me.

Walt Simonson (bless him) even bought the goat chariot out during his run :)

Hela gets "death of hammers" amongst her death abilities, clearly. Or maybe the pre-defined way to destroy that indestructible focus was "Touched by a Death Goddess in Norway when Odin isn't looking." What are the chances, eh?

It's also something that happened post-Odin, so maybe the "Worthy" aspect of it was gone. We never got the chance to see. 

Another thought is that Odin may well have built in vulnerability to Hela, just in case he needed her to take care of Thor. That decision would have been made eons ago.

Or, if the hammer was originally Odin's (which I think is in some Marvel continuities) she may well have been involved in its creation.

But I tend to go with "Death Powers".

9 hours ago, mrinku said:

That also had the side effect of giving Beta Ray Bill a normal body again (the Donald Blake effect), instead of the bionic one he'd volunteered to be made into to act as guardian for his sleeping people. Among other things that helped with his love life. And I believe Lady Sif may have benefited.

You know, we recently had a joke about "Trouser Snakes" in News Thread. This sounds like a setup for a "Hung like a Horse" joke.

Also that means I did not just image Sifs interest in Bill in that one Cartoon Episode "The Ballad of Beta Ray Bill" :

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_The_Avengers:_Earth's_Mightiest_Heroes_episodes#Season_2_.282012.29

10 hours ago, Starlord said:

Given Valkyrie's affection for Hulk, I was thinking after the movie that there should be a love triangle where Valkyrie loves Hulk and Black Widow loves Banner.  :)

Too simple. Val's probably Bi, so I'd go with her hitting on both. Or have them both chasing Natasha. And Thor should be involved there too.

Plus Loki would really like to mess with that situation. :)

We saw it last night (our house was hit by a power outage, the theatre wasn't).

Kinda wish Skurge's sacrifice and redemption had been more worthy of the version of that tale in the comics, which is definitely in the "crowning moment of awesome" category, while the movie stuff ... wasn't.

1 hour ago, assault said:

I agree, and they were clearly setting his redemption up all the way through, but there's only so much space that can be given to relatively minor characters.

They also punked the Warriors Three pretty off-handedly. The same logic applies.

The later is a sore point  with me.  Not so much there killing, but that Thor never even asked about them when he got back to Asgard following Hela's conquest.

Yes, I know that they had settled on making the movie a comedy, but some of the best comedies that I have seen have had sad and poignant moments.  Thor could have taken a moment out to mourn his friends and we still would have laughed when the Hulk attacked Surtur.  Indeed, taking time out to observe the sad moments would have made funny moments even sweeter.  

13 hours ago, Hyper-Man said:

I saw the movie last Wednesday and loved it. My only issue was Thor being affected by the star wars slave bolts when the sfx sure seemed taser / electrical.

Squirrel Girl Beats Up The Marvel Universe may have a possible answer there.

Thor has lightning powers, which means direct current. Doesn't mean he or she can deal with alternating current. 

But more likely it's "neutronic" energy or something. 

Do I get a No-Prize?

On 15.11.2017 at 5:27 AM, Ranxerox said:

The later is a sore point  with me.  Not so much there killing, but that Thor never even asked about them when he got back to Asgard following Hela's conquest.

Yes, I know that they had settled on making the movie a comedy, but some of the best comedies that I have seen have had sad and poignant moments.  Thor could have taken a moment out to mourn his friends and we still would have laughed when the Hulk attacked Surtur.  Indeed, taking time out to observe the sad moments would have made funny moments even sweeter.  

He asumed they would be fighting to the last man. And that was a foe that had already beatem him.

He also had a glimpse through Heimdalls Eyes. If any of the 3 had survived, chances would be good they were with Heimdall.