Access the internet & other

Tech

18 hours ago, mrinku said:

Thing is, "The Internet" isn't one source, and what we usually mean when we refer to it is the public stuff, or in some cases common user access (i.e. it doesn't really count if you have to log in, but can obtain a free or cheap user account, such as with Facebook or Gmail). Each restricted database or system is its own Perk. The access does *not* need to be legal, though - a hacker who has pre-established backdoor access to a secure site might pay the same Computer Link cost as the site admin.

If you want a character that doesn't have formal access but can hack in to whatever system, just use Computer Programming. Security Systems really only applies to physical security, though they can overlap when computers are involved in the physical security setup. But when it's pure hacking, Computer Programming is the skill used. Various complementary knowledges will help.

Here's some food for thought... Wikipedia is about a 9GB download; it's a practical option to store all that on a 16GB smartphone, and access it regardless of connection (And used as a minor plot point in a time travel story in The Unbeatable Squirrel Girl) . Once we are getting into the territory of Iron Man suits or sentient robots, stuff that any regular person can do on a piece of common commercial electronics that costs a few hundred dollars really should be assumed.

The real question is "how does this robot character access the internet?" If they just have a smartphone built into their head, buy radio listen and transmit. If they need to plug into an access point by physical cable, I'd probably just let them do it.

Yadda etc " Each restricted database or system is its own Perk."  I'm assuming you mean if a character has the ability to access a particular database, whether via security clearance, password or whatever.

You cannot assume anything unless the GM approves it and whatever you want fits into the campaign, of course.  Although I mentioned Iron Man's suit, really I'm aiming for a robot character. The character can access any database in the world with a thought (if they're online anywhere). Depending on security system (Security System roll), the robot can access, well, whatever it is.

If I'm not catching what anyone's saying, I'm not feeling my best, sorry.

29 minutes ago, Tech said:

Yadda etc " Each restricted database or system is its own Perk."  I'm assuming you mean if a character has the ability to access a particular database, whether via security clearance, password or whatever.

You cannot assume anything unless the GM approves it and whatever you want fits into the campaign, of course.  Although I mentioned Iron Man's suit, really I'm aiming for a robot character. The character can access any database in the world with a thought (if they're online anywhere). Depending on security system (Security System roll), the robot can access, well, whatever it is.

If I'm not catching what anyone's saying, I'm not feeling my best, sorry.

Computer Programming is still the usual skill for this sort of thing, unless the setting is using Security Systems for the purpose (as a Cyberpunk one might). Read the skill descriptions. In some situations they both may be relevant, such as hacking into a server and then turning off the alarm system.

Basically Security Systems *only* deals with dealing with "alarms and traps", Lockpicking *only* deals with opening physical locks and Computer Programming deals with anything relating to computer access.

But yes. Radio Listen and Transmit plus a high Computer Programming roll should be all that's required for what you want. A few complementary skills such as KS: Database Security, SC: Cryptography , or indeed Security Systems (to avoid being detected) are a good idea, too.