Dropping an item mid move

techogre

Technically, but you could use Strafe or Snapshot even within the strictest interpretation of the rules.

If it's not an aimed shot, I'd probably be fine to allow it as a non-attack zero phase action. But it would also depend on the actual power, setting and situation.

i.e.

Case 1: Sergeant First has primed a normal equipment (not bought as powers) pineapple grenade but not thrown it yet. A German soldier pops around the corner and starts shooting - Sarge drops his primed grenade and dives for cover into a nearby trench. I'd allow a zero phase action to drop the bomb, as part of aborting to Dive For Cover. The grenade will explode 5 segments later. Of course, the German solider may have moved away or the grenade may roll or bounce, so Sarge just has to hope for the best.

Case 2: Gadget Girl has an array of special effect grenades, built as Flash, Smoke and what have you. All are built to take effect immediately (no timers or delayed effects). Since dropping one at her own location is just her choice of target spot, it's a normal attack action. Strafe will allow her to do this while making a full move, though.

Assuming the character doesn't care where in a hex the item lands/ends up, I would not declare it necessary to use Strafe if dropping the item doesn't constitute an attack of some kind. On the other hand, if it needs to be dropped very precisely, then I'd say we have to treat it like an attack.

I wonder if the example object (a grenade) is throwing off our assessment? I mean, what if he had asked about dropping a set of car keys mid-move?

In the case of a grenade, if the grenade is intended to explode on the same Phase that it is dropped (no different than a grenade intended to explode on the same Phase it is thrown), then I'd probably tell the player that it will go off while he is still in that hex, taking damage and ending his move (aside from any knockback that might result). But if the grenade isn't armed (or is on a Time Delay) then it is just being dropped like any mundane small object, and I'd call it a zero-phase action that occurs during the move. Precision here is just "somewhere in the hex I was in," and if you want to really get prickly about it you could roll for bounce and scatter.

On the other hand, if the player is trying to drop a golf ball into the hole on a green as he moves past it, then I'd call it a 0-hex range Strafe attack.

7 hours ago, zslane said:

I wonder if the example object (a grenade) is throwing off our assessment? I mean, what if he had asked about dropping a set of car keys mid-move?

In the case of a grenade, if the grenade is intended to explode on the same Phase that it is dropped (no different than a grenade intended to explode on the same Phase it is thrown), then I'd probably tell the player that it will go off while he is still in that hex, taking damage and ending his move (aside from any knockback that might result). But if the grenade isn't armed (or is on a Time Delay) then it is just being dropped like any mundane small object, and I'd call it a zero-phase action that occurs during the move. Precision here is just "somewhere in the hex I was in," and if you want to really get prickly about it you could roll for bounce and scatter.

On the other hand, if the player is trying to drop a golf ball into the hole on a green as he moves past it, then I'd call it a 0-hex range Strafe attack.

As I think more about this, I think Strafe should always be used, regardless of circumstances, if the character cares (in any way) about the end location of whatever is dropped.  Why?  Because the character's own effort and velocity/movement has to be accounted for when dropping something on the run with an end location in mind -- regardless of whether that end location is the hole on a green and the dropped item is a golf ball ... or it's a target hex for a grenade whose AoE Explosion is intended to encompass one or more targets.  i.e. A To Hit roll is appropriate in either case ... as would be the penalties for trying to hit either target while on the run (which is what Strafe's penalties represent).

Now if the character is dropping the item just to have it off his/her person (i.e. "Get it off me!") ... without (any) regard (whatsoever) for where the dropped item comes to rest ... then I think there's no need for Strafe.

21 hours ago, mrinku said:

Yeah, I think we're largely in accord here. Any targeted attack needs to be part of a proper maneuver (Snapshot might also be used if starting and finishing in cover).

Been awhile since I read Snapshot but doesn't that only work if your going to do something like pop around a corner, take a shot, then pop back?  I would think Strafe would, in this case, be the more suitable maneuver as it allows for the moving (from cover), the dropping and then the moving (to cover again).

For most situations, yes - Strafe would be needed.

Usually you're ducking back behind the same cover, but I'm good with it being used to move between very close cover points (it IS a full phase action and leaves you exposed for a segment). The description in CC doesn't specify the cover having to be the same spot.

But in any case, if there's any question about it, use Strafe.