Diamond Spear

Play by Chat Room

Would there be any interest in a play-by-chat room game? Specifically Dark Champions? To be more specific I was kicking around the idea of trying to run a small group in a hybrid play-by-post/play-by-chat room game. The idea would be to run as a traditional play-by-post during the week and on the weekends pick a day and time to get everyone together in a chat room for a few hours. Not only do I think doing so helps foster more of a sense of being a play group instead of just typing things for strangers on the internet it also makes it easier to have back and forth conversations and to run combat. In the spoiler tag below is a quick and dirty run down on the setting. If this sounds like something you'd like to try please post a reply. 

OVERVIEW

This setting is designed to walk a fine line between Dark Champions, Horror and Urban Fantasy. Essentially the setting is Dark Champions without a dystopian background (or at least a traditional one) that is also sprinkled with bits of the unexplained, horrific and strange. The rich and powerful, both individuals and corporations, powerful criminal organizations and governments all struggle to gain more power and influence. To do so they recruit and employ both singular individuals and small groups to fight their proxy battles; they also find themselves in conflict with those trying to turn the world to a better, or at least better as they perceive it, course. Unlike in more traditional Dark Champions settings their conflicts are largely unknown to the general public and the effects of their machinations, while felt by all, are almost never directly traced to these shadow conflicts.  The overwhelming majority of the population will never know about the power struggles that shape the world they live in. Those that move in the shadows live in a world so complex, dangerous and fascinating that most who become involved in it almost never leave it.

GENRE CONVENTIONS

Soldiers Fight Soldiers

Families, bystanders and other “non-combatants” are off limits. This isn’t to say that innocents are never killed or injured but wanton destruction without regard to collateral damage is strictly taboo. This is a central tenant of the setting and one of the major reasons that this complex, second society can exist alongside the more mundane, normal, one without being obvious. For instance, a hit may take place in a restaurant but the gunmen would target only the person they are after and not indiscriminately spray the room with bullets or simply use a large bomb. In extreme circumstances the family members of high-ranking individuals might be kidnapped and held but even then they will rarely, if ever, be mistreated. There is also an unwritten rule that even though killing is expected and accepted outright cruelty is frowned upon and people who cross the line into true psychopathy tend to find even their nominal allies out to remove them.

The World Is Not All Doom And Gloom

Assuming that one does not get involved in the shadowy second world it is entirely possible to live, work, raise a family and live to a ripe old age and never so much as suspect the struggle that goes on beneath the surface. Even the majority of wealthy individuals and politicians stay blissfully ignorant or at most skim the surface of the shadows without ever realizing how deep they go.

Real World Tech…Mostly

For the most part there is no “super technology”. There are no suits of power armor, artificial intelligences with distinct personalities or plasma rifles. This is not to say that large organizations or governments don’t have access to bleeding edge technology, it just means that such technology should, for the most part, be based on real world technology and research. A good rule of thumb is James Bone level tech and gadgets is about the limit.

The Magic, Fantastical And Horrific

The magical, fantastic and horrific and fringe of the fringe elements. Someone who claims to be a witch/wizard is going to be someone who uses 99% practical effects and real world magic tricks with just a trick or two that can’t be explained by conventional means. A psychic is a typical palm reader and tarot card diviner but when paid enough or otherwise greatly motivated their predictions are always accurate. Monstrous creatures are genetic experiments gone wrong except for the one per cent that can’t be explained as such. Devices and technology that are a quantum leap forward are one-offs that are normally either created by a Tesla-level fringe scientist or an accidental fusing of disparate technologies that just happened to work. Such things also tend to be single or limited use, have undesirable side effects and tend to be self-destructive. All three elements should be used rarely, if at all as overuse will dilute their effectiveness and strangeness.

That sounds like a really intriguing campaign idea, and I like the format. I’m available some of the time some weekends. I’m in Pacific US time zone. Morning or late evening would probably be best. 

I'd be up for trying a play by post style, since my schedule can be a bit erratic during the week, and sometimes weekends. However, later on Sunday evenings would be the best bet for me to do a chat room style, my time zone being Central Time in the US.

Are there any other aspects you had planned? I'm not too experienced in Champs, 6E being my comfort zone for knowledge of the system, but I was in a play by post campaign for a bit before life hit the Game Master. Likely I'd be asking a lot of questions during creation and what not, so I hope I wouldn't be a bother!

I meant things akin to what Edition you were planning on using, character sheet requirements/restrictions, and even other character archetypes you won't allow other than the obvious things like 'SUPER MAGICAL MAGE-NESS' according to Dark Champions' general setting.

I'm open to either fifth or sixth edition.  So you and Alder can feel free to let me know which you would prefer. As for archetypes characters will have either a law enforcement, military or even criminal background. I haven't worked out the precise point totals as yet but characters will be built on skills, talents and perks without natural powers. 

Right, to place my official preference for edition in, I have to go with 6th Ed. so I'm not completely lost. Got more pdfs of that edition than I do 5th or any other.

Law enforcement, military, or criminal background to some degree I can work with no problem. However, will you allow a character who is not entirely human anymore (with skills that aren't power based of course) by why of the 'Genetic experiments gone wrong/what have you' thing listed under the Genre Conventions? Or did you just want straight human with no enhancements of any kind? I started looking at characters from Batman for ideas on things, though I'm not 100% certain if the Batman-verse is a good example of what a Dark Champions game is like.

Sorry, I'm weird and like to be sure my thought process gets clarification. |D

Hmm, alright, I think that covers my questions for now unless I come up with more. At this point it comes down to doing a bit of research on things on my end, as well as what everyone else who takes interest in this game desires. Not sure what Alder thinks of it all, since he hasn't posted anything further.

As tempting as that is, give me a moment to think about it. I'm not that experienced with the HERO System like I mentioned, especially a Dark Champions setting: all of the characters I've mocked up using Hero Designer all involve powers to some degree, so I'm not sure if I'd do it correctly for this specific genre. |D

However, doesn't mean there is no chance of me saying yes to a solo game. Just let me think on it a bit.

1 hour ago, CrazySaga said:

As tempting as that is, give me a moment to think about it. I'm not that experienced with the HERO System like I mentioned, especially a Dark Champions setting: all of the characters I've mocked up using Hero Designer all involve powers to some degree, so I'm not sure if I'd do it correctly for this specific genre. |D

However, doesn't mean there is no chance of me saying yes to a solo game. Just let me think on it a bit.

No problem. If you've got questions just let me know.

You know what, I'll bite. I'll probably mess up super bad, but I suppose I can at least attempt the first act or something solo and hope somebody joins us so I don't have to suffer my stupidity at the system alone. |D lol

I'm used to doing a lot of forum roleplays, so I might get carried away with posts at times. No worries on wanting story~ I just like to do things right with a system, because the powers that be know I've experienced how messy D&D 3.5 rules can be at times. Yeesh. Anyways, back on topic.

Did you have a place to do play by posts in mind already with something set up? Or did you want an overview of a character I can mock up first?