Justice League Film

I haven't seen the film but here's an article on early reviews.  They're mixed; none are completely negative, but none are exactly glowing either.

Most seem to like the characters and consider it an okay introduction, the villain is depicted as being yawn CGI when he's even mentioned.  They mention the tone is lighter but its bloated with special effects and poorly placed music (Suicide Squad had the same feel to me).

1 hour ago, Christopher R Taylor said:

I haven't seen the film but here's an article on early reviews.  They're mixed; none are completely negative, but none are exactly glowing either.

Most seem to like the characters and consider it an okay introduction, the villain is depicted as being yawn CGI when he's even mentioned.  They mention the tone is lighter but its bloated with special effects and poorly placed music (Suicide Squad had the same feel to me).

Those were pretty negative, ouch. 

Okay, I enjoyed this a lot. I am a notoriously soft touch for superhero movies, but I rank it over Avengers: Age of Ultron below Avengers itself if you want a comparison. I had a great time, and didn't have to turn my brain off to do so. In fact, some of the little touches were telling.

Aquaman is a brunette, but they frosted his tips blonde, so that whole 'Blonde hair is considered unlucky/cursed' bit can still apply. While I expected him to be the action junkie/surfer bro kind of mentality, it went deeper that, and not just when he chatted with Mera about his Mother

Twice in the film see signs that Arthur has deep sympathy for the forgotten folks of society, the folks who have no place else to go. Be they in Maine and on hard times, or in Russia, with no other place they CAN live besides a former melt down location.

Cyborg, for a guy caught in a CGI suit, did some solid acting. I was worried he'd be all "Interface guy" and that was all, but he got some action moments in as well. And I think the most telling lines for his character was at the start of the film

WHere he tells his dad he didn't want to show himself because he wasn't sure people were ready to know about the monster, when his father assures him he's not a monster, Cyborg looks at his father and says "It's funny you think I'm talking about me"

and the other near the end, where

Someone says they want to live, and Cyborg comments "me too" and almost sounds surprised.

This after more than one scene where he looks like hates his very existence.

Flash is the comedy routine, take that or leave it, but Batman gives him some great advice that, works . And for me, the comedy worked, others I understand found it a mixed bag. Barry as portrayed here is so green they should give him a power ring, but as the rookie he is rather adorkable. He also shows some brains despite his inexperience, coming up with a few good ideas.

The Amazons were awesome, despite being out matched by Steppenwolf.

Speaking of the bad guy, Steppenwolf was, IMO, a better villain than the ones in Iron Man 2 and 3 and Thor 2. Others might disagree. Well, they can't all be Loki.

Wonder Woman has some great moves in this, and we learn more about how the loss of Steve scarred her. If you are hoping this is HER Movie, nope, but it wouldn't be possible without her and that's made abundantly clear. She gets to try her hand at leadership a bit, not enough, but we can see the seeds of her reclaiming her place as an inspiration.

Batman did tell some funnies, but nothing that jolted me out of the story. More than that, he is much better portrayed than he was in Batman V Superman. He's still an ass at times

And provoking an Amazon by throwing  Steve Trevor's death  in her face? MISTAKE

but he's not such a #### that you cease to like him.

And of course, to the surprise of almost no one who has read a comic

Superman comes back to life, but you know? I like the way they did it. It borrows elements from this movie and BvS that make it make sense...at least comic book wise. Resurrected and dazed Superman does have a fight scene with others, but it is mercifully short and he comes to his senses soon. And damn, once he does, it's fantastic! If they had shown us more of THIS Superman in Man of Steel and BVS I think some Clark vans would have been much happier.

The movie is pretty fast paced, having over 50 minutes of footage cut, I guess it had to be.

And, rather upbeat despite the usual 'world in danger ' thing. The message of hope is not subtle, but then it shouldn't be.

the lighter palate besides 'gray and more gray' was a godsend there.

Stick around, there are two scenes during/after credits. I guess DC finally gave up and weent 'fine, you want it that way? let marvel say we're stealing it'. One was wonderful for Comics buffs, a nostalgic smile. The other? Well, it has a good hook, but has a downside for me as it is the one and only appearance of EISENBerG! god, i had hoped they cut him entirely. Still, at least you'll get to see another villain.

B+ maybe even A-

4 minutes ago, Ternaugh said:

I'm a fan of Superman, but not Man of Steel.

Maybe rewatch it again, especially the Directors Cut? For some reason DC Films are really plagued by too many scene being cut. As I german I usually get a less cut version and those extra scenes make all the difference.

I really liked that the trailers had a lot of "false flag" scenes in the Trailers, that did not make it into the movie. That keeps the story a lot less predictable for me, especially the later part. I jsut watched it today, so I will try to use my favourite lines (and the associated scenes).

Batfleck:

"Because he is more human!" - when asked by he wants to bring back Superman. He aknowledged he is "not the right guy to lead a team".

"Something is definitely bleeding" - after being Supermanned across the Memorial site
"Just save one person, and you will see" - to Flash

Flash:

"So we are the accidents" - to cyborg while digging up supermans grave. A shoot out to the "Radiation Accident" origins. Wich in german is a term used for "Unplanned Child" too.

"So they all just disapeared. How rude." Disapears.
Just looking in utter horror as Clarks eyes keeps following him while he is moving in the Speed force.

Being the noob in the team.

Superman:

He did not have that many lines. But he had pretty awesome action:
Beating the entire Justice League. In particulary: Headbutt duel with Wonder Woman. Outspeeding the Flash. That is just how broken his powerlevel is.

Carrying a whole Building to safety, while flash pushes a car.

Hearing and identifing his mothers car a minute before we actually hear it.

"I reconsidered. I would prefer to be dead."

The classical Superman vs Flash Race

Diana:

Supermanning Batfleck for bringing up steve trevor. I could have sworn I also saw lightning in the background.

"If I wanted to attack you, I would have done it at the Lake" - trustbuilding the Amazon way.

Blocking the entire magazine of a automatic weapon sprayed across a civilian group. Except that one guy whose head she moved out of the way.

Using her lasso to make a bunch of Criminals spill their guts (note the various threads on the Legal application of that power and any knowledge derived from it).

Also her Exposition is never boring.

Aquaman:

"The Whiskey is on him" after savng a guy

Actually going to help his people - that he is obviously on poor relations with - after he resqued that guy and noticing the alien blood

Brazenly trying to con Batfleck with literal pictures of him on the wall.

He never admits that he "can talk with fish"

Pulling a Steve Trevor with the lasso.

Cyborg:

"Funny that you thought I was talking about you."

floats with Jetboots "that did not work Yesterday"

"Boyah!"
I can not quite tell if he had hacked the Batcave months ago. Or accidently did it during the Video. In any case it seems he "jammed" the full viewing of the video the whole time, even if just subconsiously.

I find it a bit of a pitty that his "no control over the Armor" storyline will propably make Blue Beetle less likely for the DCEU. The Motherbox variant of his Origin is simply too similar to the Beetle Problem.

25 minutes ago, Christopher said:

For some reason DC Films are really plagued by too many scene being cut. As I german I usually get a less cut version and those extra scenes make all the difference.

Then they seriously need to get into their editing department and either decide to do movies that are longer here in U.S. or cut out different stuff.

I won't see until next saturday, as I am going with my boss from work and it is his first chance to do so.

Reports I read/heard from several sources are that Warner Bros. was spooked by complaints over the run time of BVS and Suicide Squad, and mandated that JL could be no longer than two hours. That's probably why so many people are complaining the film feels rather choppy, and like important material isn't included.

Normally I avoid "extended cut" versions of a film, because IME they mostly include stuff that was cut from the theatrical release for good reason. But I think I'll need to check out JL if they release a longer version.

11 hours ago, Starlord said:

Well, I thought it was really good!  Very fast-paced with some jumping around a bit, but overall I thought everything worked.  If you're a fan of Superman, you'll love this movie IMO.

After thinking about it for a day, my favorite moment is the

"HOLY SH&T!" look on Flash's face when he tries to flank Superman.

:rofl:

19 minutes ago, death tribble said:

I have not seen Batman vs Superman nor Wonder Woman. Will this affect my enjoyment of the film ?

They're are definitely a few conversations that will not make sense, nor have that much emotional depth.  Particularly some important scenes between Batman and Supes and Batman and Wonder Woman.  However, if you have decent knowledge of the characters and their general backstory you'll get by ok.

24 minutes ago, Christopher R Taylor said:

Green Lantern is definitely missing from the league.  Its time for a re attempt at the character, and this time by fans who have read the comic.

Well, at least they

give a nod to the Lantern Corps in the original battle with Steppenwolf 5000 years ago