Damage Negation

dsatow

Question

A player wants to use Damage Negation in my game and the question is how does it work against an attack's advantages.  We are both GMs, so we are at a stalemate as to the legality.

We agree that in using 1d6 of Damage Negation against an AP(armor piercing) effect, the Negation is reduced to accommodate the advantage of AP.  So 5d6 of damage negation would stop 4 DCs of an AP attack.  The question comes with various advantages applied on the attack operating against the Damage Negation.

1) In the case of Area of Effect, I am supported by the book.  Reduce the number of damage classes negated by the advantage on the attack.  So 4 DCs of damage negation against an attack with a +1 AoE would reduce the attack 2 DC.  The question comes when applied to autofire.  He's of the understanding that the Damage Negation applies to each attack unmodified.  I'm of the opinion that it is modified for the advantage of the attack before applied.  So would 3d6 Damage Negation against a 2d6 Autofire(5) RKA reduces it to 1d6 or 1d6+1?

2) Advantages that damage negation has to take into account are all the damage affecting advantages (like AP).  How about non-damage affect advantages like reduced end or no range mods?

3) Does damage negation take into account double knockback?  I understand, you roll the effect of double knockback before applying the damage negation per the 6e1p183 rule.  How do I go about doing this?  If the character has 6d6 Damage negation against a 8d6 EB with double knockback, does the character take 2d6 EB or 4d6 EB?  Do I roll the negated dice anyways and double the body for knockback?  What if instead of an EB its a RKA?  How do I calculate out knockback for a double knockback killing attack partially negated?

1 answer to this question

1.  By the strict reading of the rules, Damage Negation should be modified to take into account the value of an Autofire Advantage. However, given what Autofire does, a GM would be well within his rights to ignore that rule and apply the Damage Negation without modification.

2. Damage Negation only has to take into account the Advantages that affect damage (see 6E2 98). It does not have to account for other Advantages, such as Reduced Endurance or Invisible Power Effects.

3.  Yes, Damage Negation has to be modified to take the value of Double Knockback into account. Once the attacker rolls his attack, you calculate KB from that and apply the doubling for the Advantage. As noted on 6E1 183, “Calculate the Knockback (if applicable) from the damage the attacker actually rolls, not from the DCs of the attack before [Negation]” — so you don’t have to worry about the dice that weren’t rolled due to applying Damage Negation.