Hero System 5th Edition

jimofpeace

26 minutes ago, Cassandra said:

5th Edition has COM which is very important.  How can we tell how attractive someone is without a number?

you could go with a base 11- roll with a +1 for every level of SA  and get an "Bring Me the Pretty One"(this makes it an eye of the beholder choice)
I saw nothing wrong Com as a stat
just official guidance was needed in some edition 1-5
Bob Greenwade did a great 24 page example of a use for COM

Here for 5th ed

Based On COM.pdf

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

55 minutes ago, jimofpeace said:

Thank you, I will need all the help I can get!  Lol.

Do you have much experience with 5th edition?

Many in this online community have been playing 5th since it was published fifteen years ago. Quite a few of us are Hero gamers going back decades. And "system wank" is practically the short definition of a Hero gamer -- we love to discuss  how to apply this stuff to any situation. Believe me, you'll find no lack of expert advice here. ;)

Here is one advantage that the 5th Edition has over the 6th.  

Variable Advantage is an Advantage that allows a Character to use any Advantage as long as they pay twice to normal cost of any potential Advantage.

Example:  An Archer wants to be able to use Armor Piercing, Area Effect One Hex, Explosion, and No END with his Energy Blast.  All of these are +1/2 Advantages so if the Archer buys Variable Advantages at +1 he can use all of them along with any other +1/2 Advantage.

However if the player only choses 4 Advantages they my take a -1/4 Disadvantage.

This is especially useful with Flight.

Flight 10", Variable Advantages (+1/2), [[Invisible [Hearing], Megascale [1km], 1/2 END, or Usable Underwater Only (-1/4)]]

Cost 24 Points

15 minutes ago, Doc Democracy said:

Dont you mean

Flight 10", variable +1/2 advantages (+1), [[Invisible [Hearing], Megascale [1km], 1/2 END, or Usable Underwater Only (-1/4)]]

Cost 32 points

??

It should not cost less to use a choice of four advantages than it would to use just one....

:-)

Doc

Invisible [Hearing], Megscale [1km], 1/2 END, and Usable Underwater are all +1/4 advantages.

Remember with Variable Advantages you can't use more then one at the same time.

Someone who plays +1 for a Variable Advantage could use any +1/2 or two +1/4 at the same time as long as he doesn't chose four predetermined advantages to take the -1/4 limitation.

D'oh.  SHould have paid more attention to the content rather than the words.  :-)

However, I am not sure it feels right in this instance.

Flight 10", variable +1/4 advantages (+1/2), [[Invisible [Hearing], Megascale [1km], 1/2 END, or Usable Underwater Only (-1/4)]]

Cost 24 points

Flight 10", 1/2 END would cost 25 points.  Is it right that getting to switch between four +1/4 advantages is a point cheaper??

When I was costing the variable +1/2 advantages it looked reasonably OK, with the +1/4 advantages it looks wrong...

Doc

As you can tell, using any version of the game is just fine! The only caveats are that 3e is preferred to 1e or 2e because it's the most bugfixed version of the original and some excellent genre-specific games were produced for it, and Champions Complete or Fantasy Hero Complete are preferred over the two-volume 6e for everything but use as a reference work.

My version of choice is 4e, with bits pulled from 5e/5eR as needed, and using books published for 4e and 5e since they're all very compatible.

My recommendation for those new to the system is always Champions Complete, so they're not saddled with finding stuff on the used market.

But in your situation, 5e is a fine choice.

3 hours ago, Doc Democracy said:

D'oh.  SHould have paid more attention to the content rather than the words.  :-)

However, I am not sure it feels right in this instance.

Flight 10", variable +1/4 advantages (+1/2), [[Invisible [Hearing], Megascale [1km], 1/2 END, or Usable Underwater Only (-1/4)]]

Cost 24 points

Flight 10", 1/2 END would cost 25 points.  Is it right that getting to switch between four +1/4 advantages is a point cheaper??

When I was costing the variable +1/2 advantages it looked reasonably OK, with the +1/4 advantages it looks wrong...

Doc

It's a loophole.  Variable Advantage was envisioned to give a character more attack options, but the math works

Flight 10"  20 Points

Flight 10", 1/2 END (+1/4)  25 Points

Flight 10", Variable Advantages (+1/2)  30 Points

Flight 10", Variable Advantages (+1/2), [Use 4 Predetermined +1/4 Advantages One At A Time] (-1/4)  24 Points

12 hours ago, Cassandra said:

5th Edition has COM which is very important.  How can we tell how attractive someone is without a number?

Not having 6th that's something I've been very curious about. Apparently their is a (skill?) in 6th called (attractive appearance?). So you decide you want your character to be good looking and pay 3 points?

Striking Appearance is a Talent, so you pay 3 pts per +1 to Interaction Skill Rolls and +1d6 to Presence Attacks.

You can of course say "I'm beautiful, but there's no mechanical effect from it" and not buy that Talent.

And of course you can use this to say your character's appearance is striking in a frightening way, which would help with a different set of Interaction skills, etc.

I suppose COM is a bit of a game design anachronism, born out of the desire to break D&D's monolithic CHA characteristic into two more compartmentalized concepts: PRE (personality) and COM (physical appearance). I feel that if you agree in principle that PRE is worth codifying with a number, then there's no logical reason to reject COM.

10 hours ago, Cassandra said:

Here is one advantage that the 5th Edition has over the 6th.  

Variable Advantage is an Advantage that allows a Character to use any Advantage as long as they pay twice to normal cost of any potential Advantage.

Example:  An Archer wants to be able to use Armor Piercing, Area Effect One Hex, Explosion, and No END with his Energy Blast.  All of these are +1/2 Advantages so if the Archer buys Variable Advantages at +1 he can use all of them along with any other +1/2 Advantage.

However if the player only choses 4 Advantages they my take a -1/4 Disadvantage.

This is especially useful with Flight.

Flight 10", Variable Advantages (+1/2), [[Invisible [Hearing], Megascale [1km], 1/2 END, or Usable Underwater Only (-1/4)]]

Cost 24 Points

Why is it an advantage that 5th has over 6th? Variable is identical in 6th is it?

Also the intent is to remove 1/4 from the advantage value, not to add a -1/4 limitation.

Finally, the  Variable Avantage cannot be lowered below +1/2 so applying 4 different +1/4 advantage or less is still a +1/2 advantage.