megaplayboy

Best Gun Fu, Sniper and Western Gunslinger films

I'm trying to compile a list of great films showcasing the cinematic renditions of "gun fu", sniper skills and fast draw/gunslinger skills and tricks.  

For me the obvious start is John Woo--The Killer, A Better Tomorrow 1 and 2, and Hard Boiled are, I think, the best HK gun fu films.  Add to that Equilibrium, Ultraviolet, the Matrix Series, John Wick 1 and 2, and Shoot Em Up.  Wanted rounds out a baker's dozen.  

Sniper films are trickier, but offhand I'd say Enemy at the Gates (for a more realistic sniper duel), the Sniper series starring Tom Berenger, and both Shooter the film and the tv series.  Concealment and making difficult long range shots are the major skills showcased.

Gunslinger films focus on quick draw, trick shots and firing from horseback, among other things.  The Eastwood spaghetti westerns, Django Unchained, The Shootist, True Grit, Magnificent Seven.  Maybe El Mariachi, Desperado and Once Upon a Time in Mexico might count as a modern Mexican Western.

Of course there are anime, comics and tv shows that also showcase firearms skills and super-skills.  But I figure this is a good start.  

There's some decent gun fu/gunslinging here and there in the Kingsman films.

The sniper character was the best part of the terrible '90s Navy Seals movie.  Hurt Locker and American Sniper need to be included in any sniper movie list, though they hardly glorify the violence. 

The Quick & the Dead  is short on tricks but long on different styles of gunmen.

The movie Hannie Caulder has Robert Culp who was one of the better real life quick-draw and gun twirlers in Hollywood at the time (there's an impressive clip of him on YouTube taken from an appearance on The Rifleman) teaching Raquel Welch how to be a gunfighter. Both films may help you.

Jackie Chan's New Police Story (2004) 1) Is not very funny 2) Has plenty of gunplay 3) Is one of like six Police Story films Jackie Chan stars in 4) Hinges on the rapid reassembly of a handgun.