Help with Magic Items

iamlibertarian

So, AID I understand. But Characteristics as Powers, am I missing something?

Something as simple as a +1 Sword (OCV). UOO

It is already 0 END to cast and maintain. It is already Persistent. Add in the focus (the sword itself). It is already Difficult to Dispel, Drain, etc.

Is that really all there is to it? Castable as often as I like. Never ending. Has its own Power Defense (if the magic makes it unbreakable).

So, my teammate has a sword. I cast my spell granting that player's sword +1 OCV. 3-4 point (OAF vs OIF) spell I can then cast on any teammate's weapon at 0 END, for any number of teammates (one at a time). Or, I could cast AID 1d6 to OCV, which has a duration and an END cost on their weapons.

Hell, even simpler, who needs . I can cast +1 INT on myself for nothing, lasting forever, or AID INT 1d6 on myself with a built-in duration and END cost? Why would I ever use AID instead?

1) If the only answer is "GM says so," why even create an Official power that way, where every GM would want to overrule something just about every time?

2) If the only answer is, "GM says so," then in the opinions of the GMs here, when would it be reasonable to use Characteristics as Powers?

As always, I am thinking more in terms of Superhero level of play, and from the perspective of a player who likes playing 'support characters,' or BUFFers, in the MMORPG sense.

Thanks!

DC :)

Since the question was for superhero play the real limiters are what the GM is comfortable with especially if they have Caps, whether hard or soft on active points and combat values. Buffing characters are for the most part an artifact of MMORPG'S and not really represented in the core source material - comics. Blue Lanterns are the exceptions not the rule.

Remember that the job of a GM in creating npcs and deciding power levels for encounters is already a balancing act without buffer PCs. Some GMs want to focus more on good story than variable combat algebra.

1 hour ago, iamlibertarian said:

So, AID I understand. But Characteristics as Powers, am I missing something?

Something as simple as a +1 Sword (OCV). UOO

It is already 0 END to cast and maintain. It is already Persistent. Add in the focus (the sword itself). It is already Difficult to Dispel, Drain, etc.

Is that really all there is to it? Castable as often as I like. Never ending. Has its own Power Defense (if the magic makes it unbreakable).

So, my teammate has a sword. I cast my spell granting that player's sword +1 OCV. 3-4 point (OAF vs OIF) spell I can then cast on any teammate's weapon at 0 END, for any number of teammates (one at a time). Or, I could cast AID 1d6 to OCV, which has a duration and an END cost on their weapons.

Hell, even simpler, who needs . I can cast +1 INT on myself for nothing, lasting forever, or AID INT 1d6 on myself with a built-in duration and END cost? Why would I ever use AID instead?

1) If the only answer is "GM says so," why even create an Official power that way, where every GM would want to overrule something just about every time?

2) If the only answer is, "GM says so," then in the opinions of the GMs here, when would it be reasonable to use Characteristics as Powers?

As always, I am thinking more in terms of Superhero level of play, and from the perspective of a player who likes playing 'support characters,' or BUFFers, in the MMORPG sense.

Thanks!

Basically, a lot depends on what you're trying to do, including HOW MUCH you're trying to do. If you want to raise a number of Characteristics at once, for example, you may find Aid works better. If you want to raise just one and only for yourself you are likely to find that buying that Characteristic with appropriate modifiers is most efficient.

Until you get a feel for it you may want to try, each time you are building such a power, to build it both ways and compare them.

Lucius Alexander

If you want a palindromedary, you've come to the right tagline

4 hours ago, Hyper-Man said:

If the intent is to make relative low active point 'buffs' CSLs w/UOO and a Continuing Charge should work.  Differing Modifiers are another tool you should take a look at.

But why the continuing charge, other than, "GM says so?"  Why not just leave it going forever? And if, "GM says so," is the only reason, refer to the questions in the OP?

Thanks! 

4 hours ago, Hyper-Man said:

Since the question was for superhero play the real limiters are what the GM is comfortable with especially if they have Caps, whether hard or soft on active points and combat values. Buffing characters are for the most part an artifact of MMORPG'S and not really represented in the core source material - comics. Blue Lanterns are the exceptions not the rule.

Remember that the job of a GM in creating npcs and deciding power levels for encounters is already a balancing act without buffer PCs. Some GMs want to focus more on good story than variable combat algebra.

Buffs themselves are not all I am interested in, I kinda put that badly. "Support" characters are what interest me, which just happens to include Buffs. Team healer, transport the team, dig the tunnel as the way in, find things for the team, build/create things for the team, interrogate for the team, etc.

As for the GMs, I do not envy them (and am trying to learn to be one) already, especially in a system that, while very rich which is appreciated, is also very complicated. I too, as a player and a potential GM, greatly prefer story over combat algebra, or even very much combat at all. Which is why I am asking such a question; I am trying to see it from both sides.

In this case, building a characteristic buff spell, I truly want to know the reason one way is so cheap and unlimited and the other costs END and has a built-in time limit, and what the intended purpose of the 'cheap way' is meant to be, and where it is appropriate and inappropriate to use.

There is even a selfish reason to ask from a player point of view: I don't want to go to all the trouble of creating a character, especially a complicated one, and have it tossed out like it is yesterday's news, lol.

5 hours ago, Hyper-Man said:

If you want some examples of self-only buffs using a variety of mechanics take a close look at these 2 character's VPPs.

https://forum.rpg.net/showthread.php?795840-HERO6E-My-rookie-JLA-builds&p=20707008#post20707008

Bless you. I am always interested in how others build VPPs anyway. I often look at the various source books to see how NPCs build them for inspiration (at least the ones that come with sample powers for them.)

Aid is less limited in a lot of ways when compared to Attribute as power:

1) Aid is already usable on others.  Attribute as power (AAP) must purchase it.

2) Aid can hit any number of targets, given time.  AAP is limited to whatever level of Usable on Other you purchased.

3) Aid doesn't keep your VPP or MP reserve 'locked' after being 'cast', as its duration is instant.  This is actually one of the most potentially unbalancing things about Aid - you can free switch to another slot without ending the effect.  Unless you have Uncontrolled (another expensive advantage) or Continuing Charge on Attribute as Power  the 'buff' ends the instant you switch to another slot. 

If you take 'standard effect' on a strength Aid, for example, you can get 3 points of str for 5 AP.   You can throw this at whomever you want whenever you want, fire and forget.  

+3 str attribute of power with usable on others, uncontrolled will cost at least the same but probably more to make it as 'good' as Aid with regards to targeting ability.  

Also, for GM who are sticklers for it, there's a lot less stop signs involved with Aid than the advantages needed to make AAP fake Aid.

27 minutes ago, DasBroot said:

1) Aid is already usable on others.  Attribute as power (AAP) must purchase it.

2) Aid can hit any number of targets, given time.  AAP is limited to whatever level of Usable on Other you purchased.

3) Aid doesn't keep your VPP or MP reserve 'locked' after being 'cast', as its duration is instant.  This is actually one of the most potentially unbalancing things about Aid - you can free switch to another slot without ending the effect.  Unless you have Uncontrolled (another expensive advantage) or Continuing Charge on Attribute as Power  the 'buff' ends the instant you switch to another slot. 

If you take 'standard effect' on a strength Aid, for example, you can get 3 points of str for 5 AP.   You can throw this at whomever you want whenever you want, fire and forget.  

+3 str attribute of power with usable on others, uncontrolled will cost at least the same but probably more to make it as 'good' as Aid with regards to targeting ability.  

Also, for GM who are sticklers for it, there's a lot less stop signs involved with Aid than the advantages needed to make AAP fake Aid.

1) True

2) Not sure I understand this one.
 2A) The cheapest version of UOO is +1/4 (as long as my character isn't paying END each time the power is used (UGH, +1 INT, every time the recipient Thinks, lol) which would make the UOO free) (Or remains close to the caster, which isn't much of a magic item, lol).  At +1/4, which I have to pay anyway to use it on others at all, it can also hit any number of targets, given time. Sure, if using on others (as in the originally listed magic item concept), my character would have to pay that +1/4 so it remains a little more expensive than AID (if you don't factor in AAP costs no END, and to match that you make AID reduced END 0 for +1/2) (and Persistent, if you really want the AID to match the AAP for another +1/4).
  2B)  If this was a 'spell' for just my character, AAP wouldn't even have to have the UOO, making it far cheaper than AID.

3A) AAP is already Persistent, so the only way the magic item is turned off is if my character "consciously decides to turn it off or dies"  (6E1 128, 334). Plus, switching VPP slots does not undo ongoing powers taken on a Focus (6E1 412) as long as the Focus was taken on the individual power instead of the Control Cost, else the Blaster mentioned on that page would suddenly stop working for the NPC who stole it, for example.
3B) Plus, UOO (UBO) Switching Powers in a Framework does not shut a Power off when the slots are switched (6E1 357)

Uncontrolled: Would I even have to apply this Advantage to the power? There are many mechanics to create a power, and Uncontrolled is just one of them.
(6E1 352) Uncontrolled, just as with 'any ordinary Constant power,... 'But unlike an ordinary Constant Power, if he’s Stunned or Knocked Out, or loses Line Of Sight on the target,
the power does not cease working.'  However, Persistent already handles that. Plus with my note 3B) above, it makes it seem even more like Uncontrolled isn't needed in this particular case.

Thank you so much for your thoughts either way. They are helping me think this through, both to have a power created that is less likely to be rejected after all the thought put into it, and as a potential GM.

53 minutes ago, iamlibertarian said:

1) True

2) Not sure I understand this one.
 2A) The cheapest version of UOO is +1/4 (as long as my character isn't paying END each time the power is used (UGH, +1 INT, every time the recipient Thinks, lol) which would make the UOO free) (Or remains close to the caster, which isn't much of a magic item, lol).  At +1/4, which I have to pay anyway to use it on others at all, it can also hit any number of targets, given time. Sure, if using on others (as in the originally listed magic item concept), my character would have to pay that +1/4 so it remains a little more expensive than AID (if you don't factor in AAP costs no END, and to match that you make AID reduced END 0 for +1/2) (and Persistent, if you really want the AID to match the AAP for another +1/4).
  2B)  If this was a 'spell' for just my character, AAP wouldn't even have to have the UOO, making it far cheaper than AID.

3A) AAP is already Persistent, so the only way the magic item is turned off is if my character "consciously decides to turn it off or dies"  (6E1 128, 334). Plus, switching VPP slots does not undo ongoing powers taken on a Focus (6E1 412) as long as the Focus was taken on the individual power instead of the Control Cost, else the Blaster mentioned on that page would suddenly stop working for the NPC who stole it, for example.
3B) Plus, UOO (UBO) Switching Powers in a Framework does not shut a Power off when the slots are switched (6E1 357)

Uncontrolled: Would I even have to apply this Advantage to the power? There are many mechanics to create a power, and Uncontrolled is just one of them.
(6E1 352) Uncontrolled, just as with 'any ordinary Constant power,... 'But unlike an ordinary Constant Power, if he’s Stunned or Knocked Out, or loses Line Of Sight on the target,
the power does not cease working.'  However, Persistent already handles that. Plus with my note 3B) above, it makes it seem even more like Uncontrolled isn't needed in this particular case.

Thank you so much for your thoughts either way. They are helping me think this through, both to have a power created that is less likely to be rejected after all the thought put into it, and as a potential GM.

Response to

2) I also am finding it hard to understand you.

2A) "isn't much of a magic item" : can you please explain clearly, in plain language not game terms, exactly what kind of magic item you are trying to make?

And should I assume  are trying to buy it via a Variable Power Pool?

"It can also hit any number of targets, given time." No. It can't. At the basic level you can bestow the power on exactly ONE other character. Not "any number of targets, given time." If you think that, no wonder you're confused.

2B) "If this was a 'spell' for just my character, AAP wouldn't even have to have the UOO, making it far cheaper than AID." Well....what do you expect? The rules weren't written encourage everyone to buy all their Characteristics down to 1 and then buy them back cheaper with Aid.

3A) (6E1 128, 334). I believe you are very seriously misinterpreting this page. Slapping "Persistant" on a Power means it doesn't go away if you are knocked out or go to sleep, not that you can apply it to all the slots of a Multipower or Variable Power Pool and then have them all running full blast at the same time.

(6E1 412) You stopped reading too soon. Further down you would find

"This doesn’t mean a character can use a VPP

as a cheap way to buy a lot of weapons or gadgets

and then hand them out to his friends. There can

still only be as many powers active in the VPP at

once as its Pool allows. Losing a weapon or gadget

bought through the VPP doesn’t count as “using”

it, but giving the weapon or device to another

character does."

So if you give a blaster pistol to an ally and then switch points out of it - yes it darn well does stop operating, or more likely, you're told you just don't get to switch those points until you reclaim the pistol from your ally and disassemble it for parts.

3B)(6E1 357) I believe you are correct in your interpretation here, although some Game Operations Directors may find it questionable. So making your item Persistant or a Focus will not allow you to give it to someone else and then switch the points out and have the item still operate, but making it Usable by Others just might. However, you still only get to give it to one person, not a mob of them, unless you buy a bigger Advantage.

(6E1 352) I believe you are right again, I don't think you would necessarily need Uncontrolled for an ability bought Usable by Others.

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary says in earlier editions there might be a point to buying Characteristics down and buying them back with Aid in some circumstances....

58 minutes ago, Lucius said:

2A) "isn't much of a magic item" : can you please explain clearly, in plain language not game terms, exactly what kind of magic item you are trying to make?

DC: I am trying to understand the entire concept of making a magic item, so as the OP suggested, an example would be a +1 OCV sword which anyone could use, and pay CP for if they are going to keep it, AND a way to simply cast a spell to turn a sword into a temporary magic sword +1 OCV (and understand why AID or Characteristic as Power is better, more reasonable, etc when CAP is so much cheaper).

And should I assume  are trying to buy it via a Variable Power Pool?

DC: That is one of the variations I am trying to grasp. CAP vs AID as a 'permanent' (or at least long lasting) magic item. VPP OR a Non-VPP power a PC can cast as a 'spell,' Transform, 'Alchemy' etc. as a way to do it, whatever is not only mechanically correct, but also reasonable.

"It can also hit any number of targets, given time." No. It can't. At the basic level you can bestow the power on exactly ONE other character. Not "any number of targets, given time." If you think that, no wonder you're confused.

DC: Explain to me why?  AID can be cast on any number of targets, given time (one casting per Phase). Therefore so can Characteristic as Power (as long as UOO is paid). If not, please explain.

2B) "If this was a 'spell' for just my character, AAP wouldn't even have to have the UOO, making it far cheaper than AID." Well....what do you expect? The rules weren't written encourage everyone to buy all their Characteristics down to 1 and then buy them back cheaper with Aid.

DC: That is why one of my questions was about when it is appropriate or not. But also, 'far cheaper with AID' isn't really all that cheaper. +5 STR costs 5 CP. +5 CP through an AID can be dispelled if directly cast, or can be taken away if a Focus. Power boosting or granting items are a hallmark of the genre. 

(6E1 412) You stopped reading too soon. Further down you would find

"This doesn’t mean a character can use a VPP as a cheap way to buy a lot of weapons or gadgets and then hand them out to his friends. There can still only be as many powers active in the VPP at once as its Pool allows. Losing a weapon or gadget bought through the VPP doesn’t count as “using” it, but giving the weapon or device to another character does."

DC: I didn't stop reading too soon:
1) If a character (ally, whatever) wants to keep an ongoing power, VPP or otherwise, they would have to pay the CP for it, so it is not a cheap way to buy lot of weapons or gadgets and hand them out. UOO (UBO) on a CAP is just a simpler way to create an item that will last the session or adventure (assuming the character does not want to keep the item) than to cast a long-term AID and do all that point tracking. 
2) Per UOO / Power frameworks on 6E1 357, IF the item is created or spell/power is cast through a Power Framework, the item does not shut off if it is Given to another player, with the 'cheap way to buy a lot of weapons' concept already handled by the If the receiver keeps it he has to pay CP for it notion.
3) Further, let's say the 'spell' is not cast on an item. Lets say an AID is cast with Delayed Returned Rate of 5 pts per year, or century. This can be bought Inside or Outside of a VPP, and according to UOO; if Inside a VPP, switching slots around does not end that 'casting of the power'. Again, I am trying to come up with the simplest way to handle this.

3B)(6E1 357) I believe you are correct in your interpretation here, although some Game Operations Directors may find it questionable. So making your item Persistant or a Focus will not allow you to give it to someone else and then switch the points out and have the item still operate, but making it Usable by Others just might. However, you still only get to give it to one person, not a mob of them, unless you buy a bigger Advantage.

DC: All at once giving it to multiple characters, you are correct. But 'given enough time' as mentioned above, for example one casting per Phase, can give the power to as many characters as liked. Unless you know of some reason a character cannot cast AID for example through a VPP phase after phase? As for the GODs, lol, they can do anything they want. I just enjoy creating characters, and making them very...personal to me, with everything fleshed out, and the character's way of thinking, acting, personality, power suite, all worked out into one loveable (by me) package. So it takes me a long time, and I don't want to finally get to walk into a game and have my character sheet given to the dog to pee on, lmao.

(6E1 352) I believe you are right again, I don't think you would necessarily need Uncontrolled for an ability bought Usable by Others.

DC: Thanks for all your input as well Lucius. It really helps!

14 minutes ago, iamlibertarian said:

DC: Explain to me why?  AID can be cast on any number of targets, given time (one casting per Phase). Therefore so can Characteristic as Power (as long as UOO is paid). If not, please explain.

UOO can only be used simultaneously  on the number of people defined by the level of Advantage you paid for. If you use an Aid on someone, then wish to Aid someone else on your next Phase, the first person you Aided retains its benefits until the Aid reaches its fade duration. If you have a Characteristic UOO for one other person, if you give that Characteristic to an additional person, the first person immediately loses its benefit.

1 hour ago, Lord Liaden said:

UOO can only be used simultaneously  on the number of people defined by the level of Advantage you paid for. If you use an Aid on someone, then wish to Aid someone else on your next Phase, the first person you Aided retains its benefits until the Aid reaches its fade duration. If you have a Characteristic UOO for one other person, if you give that Characteristic to an additional person, the first person immediately loses its benefit.

Ummmm...why? There are multiple ways to construct everything. I know that Useable Simultaneously is one of them. I originally took Useable Simultaneously as 'per casting.' I guess I could be wrong...

But that would make it awfully tough to Ever create a true magick item. My character pays CP for a spell, "+1 OCV, Focus (H-H weapon)". Which he originally intends for his mage's staff. If he ever uses UOO to create a weapon for someone else, he can Never ever use it again either for himself or to ever create another such sword for someone else? Unless of course he wants to pay an ever increasing cost for an item for which the power never increases? I have to wrap my head around this...

Speaking of multiple ways to construct everything, a Persistent beneficial Spell/Power bought to 0 END can be cast in an area and affect multiple allies without incurring the ever increasing Active Point cost of UOO (Simultaneously) as another way of creating a power. Let's take that same +1 OCV. It can be built with Weapon Foci to affect everyone in the area of effect. Hmmm...still trying to wrap my head around this...

For that matter, how is a standard Pistol ever mass produced by a company? UOO, Simultaneously, with ever increasing costs to make? I am not looking to have a character be able to build 'cheap way to buy lot of weapons or gadgets and hand them out.' If characters want to keep them after an adventure, they have to pay CP just like 'buying a pistol from a store'. 

Maybe Transform is what I need. Again, the whole point of the original question was how to create a 'permanent' magic item, and do so in the simplest way. Characters can keep them or not after the adventure, if they wish to pay the CP or not.

And for simple mid-adventure buffs, just cast a Characteristic as a Power if it is a characteristic (simplest way), and if the buff isn't a characteristic, use AID with a long return rate if it is for a power they already have, or still use Transform with 'heals back normally' otherwise, which has the granted buff just gradually fade away.

That way, I can just avoid the whole "useable simultaneously" mess.

5 minutes ago, Hyper-Man said:

In a heroic game if a character wants to create a permanent 'magic item' to give to others they either spend the Real points and then give away the item (losing the points permanently) or find the item creation rules in Fantasy Hero.

So many rules in Fantasy don't translate well to Superhero, but I will give it a look again. It has been a while...

But I never understood the character who creates the item being the one to spend the CP. That character is really nothing more than the 'vehicle' for another character gaining another power. I mean, if the receiving character could just walk into a gun store and buy a gun, spending the CP to have it, then a creating character should be the same in my opinion. /shrug

I still don't have an answer on how to handle the other half of the original question though. When speaking specifically about casting a 'characteristics as powers' "spell" (with UOO vs a long-duration AID, I still can't see any reason to use the AID, since to match the value of the characteristics as powers, the AID is much more expensive. So there must be a base reason for characteristics as powers existence as a rule must have some specific intended use instead of AID, and I just can't figure out what that is.

7 minutes ago, Hyper-Man said:

Whatever version of the rules you have I suggest rereading the sections detailing the differences between heroic and super heroic.

Ok, just did, 6E1 29.

CP must be spent. I get that. So, say, for an improved sword (+1 OCV), or a rifle sight, you pay CP to -have- it. Money, if anything at all, is just a vehicle to -get- it (as is having a teammate Make it:  staple of superhero comics). Still have to pay CP to own it. The character Receiving the power pays CP. Never disputed that. So I am not sure to what you are referring?

Thanks again for the help!

6 minutes ago, Hyper-Man said:

Like I said elsewhere the item creation rules are in Fantasy Hero but for a superhero setting anything better than mundane needs points. It's why Mr. Fantastic or Tony Stark aren't partners with GM producing flying cars for the masses.  That would be a LOT of equipment doublings.

Ahhh, now that I get. Sort of. Though Stark Industries, for example, mass produces weapons for the government (or at least did). But if Iron Man wants to Use whatever he produces, he has to pay CP. See, I have never disputed that. I only asked about the mechanics of mass production (in game) to try and understand the mechanics of creating magic items.

I am trying to find my copy of Fantasy now. I hope it translates well to Superhero, lol.

1 minute ago, Hyper-Man said:

I'm not sure you have it yet.  Batman pays for everything in his Utility Belt even if it might be otherwise mundane.  John Wick pays for the Perks to have equipment and far more on the skills to use it.  You can find links to my version of both in my signature below.

I will look at the links after looking at Fantasy, but I don't think that I don't get it? Not sure what you think I am not getting is the problem. In Superhero settings, *everything* costs CP. That is why even a Cell Phone requires CP. I don't dispute this, and am not trying to find a way to work around it. I am merely trying to understand the mechanics of Building something, whether it be a +1 OCV sword, a +1 OCV Sight, etc.

If I have a 'spell' that gives my sword +1 OCV for X minutes, that's cool, but it is not truly a 'magic item', a thing of permanence (for which one would have to pay CP.

I think we're also running into a problem with genre conventions. In Hero fantasy games, which is typically a "heroic" genre, characters don't pay points for equipment, so you want to have some magic item creation guidelines to arbitrate the flow of such items in the game, keep them from becoming a flood. In superheroic games, characters pay their own points for whatever they possess. In the supers genre, if someone with the relevant ability -- technological or sorcerous -- is creating an item for someone else to use, nobody worries too much about how it's done. The person makes it, and then the other person has it. In Champions terms, the recipient invests the Character Points in it. If he wants another one he won't get it until he has the points to pay for it. So the creation of the item is just a plot device, unless inability to get it made contributes to the plot in a particular case.

If you still want a mechanism for creating an item for a superheroic game, I suggest having the creator of the item roll for success on what you rule as an applicable Skill, with any appropriate Complementary Skills, and a penalty to the roll based on the Active Points in the item (-1 per 5 or 10 AP, depending on how difficult you want the creation process to be). You can use extra time per the Time Chart to gain bonuses to the roll, but you may want to set a minimum necessary time for "realism." If you make the roll, the item is created. If you fail, you have to start over again.