Multipower of Stuff That Affects Character

g3taso

When dealing with Multipowers, you're saving points at the cost of possible later utility.  For example, Catman has a CatBelt with his Catarangs (1d6 RKA, +3 STUN, AP), CatMask (LS: breathe gasses), CatsEyes (Clairsentience), Cat's Claws (Clinging), etc.  If he puts them all into a Multipower (bought as multiple OAF), he'll need to decide how many he can use at the same time and set the Multipower pool level appropriately.  Depending on what all that stuff is, he may want some / all of it as separate powers.

If ForceGuy can pass by guards without being noticed (Invisibility), walk through walls (Desolidification) and even walk on air (Flight), sure, all can go in to a Multipower.  But if he wants to be able to do all three at once, he'll be better off buying them separately.  Though one could easily say that he can only do at most two of them together (and setting the Multipower pool to that level) due to the required level of concentration.  Or maybe they're so difficult that he can only do one at a time.  Then you're perfectly in line with putting them in a Multipower.

1 hour ago, DasBroot said:

If you want to be able to use more than one thing at a time, though, you're better off with Elemental Control Pool (edit: which apparently I mentioned earlier D'oh): The Force 

Mind you in every edition it's available you're almost always better off with an ECP.  They're crazy.

ECs work fine as long as the bundled powers are around the same points. They become less efficient if one or more of the powers is at a lower point value than the others, since that will reduce the size of the bonus.

In any case, if you only want one or two powers at once, a MP is probably a better fit.

One of the more overlooked maneuvers in HERO is the "I blast him with every attack I got" combined attack maneuver (6e2p74).  In the most common application of multipowers, where each slot is an attack uses up the entire multipower pool and the slots are fixed, you can't do this.

On 27.11.2017 at 2:23 PM, g3taso said:

Sorry. For what it's worth the powers I wanted to multipower are all using Star Wars "Force" FX and included some jumping, "seeing into the future" Jedi reflexes and so forth. As I understand it, you don't put stuff that affects you in a multipower in 5e

As you need to keep a constant/persistent power "slotted" in order to benefit from it, there is no such rule.

Movement/combat multipowers are some of the most common multipowers in the Hero System. You may want to move during combat, so at that moment tehre will be a viable tradeoff.

There are GM warnings against uncontrolled/charge powers with long durations in a Power Framework. By their nature you could "cast" them on yourself, then swap out the slot without disabling the power. That would get around the limitations that make up the price decrease off the framework.

Out of combat utiltiy powers (like looking into the future) are a edge case. If you overuse it, asume the GM will demand it moved outside of the Power Framework. But then again Precognition powers are their own can of worms regardless where you put them. I propably would never allow any player controlled Clairsentience (Future). Other utility powers with precognition special effect (like CSL or Reflection from Jedi Combat Precognition) are okay. But not actuall Divination/Precognition.

Also since they do share a common special effect (the force), you really should consider a 5E Elemental Control isntead. It was abolished in 6E because it could be too point efficient and was better solved with the Unified Limitation.

On the other hand if you definie the Multipower reserve high enough, you could even have multiple powers "slotted" at the same time. That is another way to get around it.