Major Disaster/Scarlet Witch

jimofpeace

I was wondering how you would make Major Disaster's and the Scarlet Witch's powers in Champions.  I once saw Major Disaster cause an army of tanks all break down and always thought that was pretty cool.  I also like Wanda's power of probabilities where all of a sudden a gas main just so happens to rupture beneath the feet of the villain.  How do you write these unpredictable powers up in Champions?

2 minutes ago, Hyper-Man said:

VPP with appropriate limitations on what they can't do.

When you say, "appropriate limitations," do you mean telling them something like, "you can't cause people to spontaneously explode," or do you mean the game mechanics of power limitations (-1/4, -1/2, -3/4,...etc.)?

For Scarlet Witch, I built her with the following abilities:

11D6 Luck, 13- activation, costs end only to activate, side effects (if she fails her activation roll, it activates her 5D6 unluck)

11D6 Energy Blast, 1/2 end, variable advantage +1 1/4 (enough for area effect radius selective), indirect +3/4, variable special effect: any, 13- activation, side effects, use locks out VPP

70 point VPP, powers can be changed as a half-phase action

This lets her do several different things.  Sometimes in the comics, she just lets the team get lucky breaks.  Until her power goes wrong, and then something bad happens to them.  That's just her Luck power.  The second thing she can do is directly attack people.  This is her Energy Blast.  Because it has variable special effect, indirect, and variable advantage, the visual effect of this power can be almost anything.  A city bus careens off of the street and slams into the villain from behind.  11D6 EB, special effect: bus.  A gas main ruptures and an explosion hits the villain from underneath his feet.  11D6 EB,  explosion.  Power line falls from overhead and lands on the bad guy.  11D6 EB, continuous.  Special effect: electricity.  Something goes wrong inside Ultron and malfunctions.  11D6 EB, NND (defense is not being Ultron).  Then she has a VPP for the times when her hex power just does something totally weird that isn't covered by stuff randomly breaking and hurting her enemies.

If you wanted to save points, you could buy the variable advantage as a naked advantage and slap extra endurance, extra time, and/or another activation roll on it.  Otherwise it's a 275 active point power, and you shouldn't always feel the need to use up the entire variable advantage every time.

Building characters is not unlike designing software. It is as much art as science, with many, many ways to accomplish the same thing using the "programming language" of the game. Which is why I fell in love with Champions the moment I first encountered it (back in 1982).

7 minutes ago, Cassandra said:

Mental Illusion 6d6 AE 3"

The Illusion would be that the tanks no longer worked

I've always thought that magic is really an illusion.

Wouldn't the tanks still be able to hurt you, though?  I'm looking for a power that really does disable them to where they are useless, with the special effect that they all broke down.  I like what Mrinku said, maybe a Dispel on the tanks or something?  Arrrggghh, so many ways to do powers in this book!!!  But that's what makes it so cool.  :)

5 minutes ago, zslane said:

Transform, at a high enough level, can be used to cover most situations, taking care of the "what happened" (army tanks break down), with special effect taking care of "how it happened" (massive internal parts failure).

This is probably how I would build the power.  It seems like a pretty powerful power that would cost a lot of points.  This is exactly how I picture it, what with the "massive internal parts failure" and all.  I really like how this system lets you come up with the special effects yourself.  I just hope my players and I have the imagination to do this game any justice.