bigdamnhero

HD is locking up on me?

Yesterday HD was working fine. I don't think I made any system changes, but today it's locking up on me. It opens fine, I can open character files, switch tabs, change characteristics, no problem. But when I try to open a Skill, Power or Complication, it completely freezes up before anything can open. Happens whether I double-click, or if I select it with the Enter key. I have to use Task Manager to close it out. I downloaded & installed the latest HD version, and even reinstalled Java, but no change. It doesn't sound like an HD bug, but I'm hoping someone might have some ideas?

Running HD Build 20171119

Windows 10 laptop

Java v8, Update 151 (build 1.8.0_151-b12)

All dialogs in HD (including the edit dialogs) are modal -- they will take and retain focus until dismissed (or another dialog is raised in front of them). Additionally, they will "remember" their last position on screen and size.  Normally this is a feature, but if a dialog gets positioned offscreen (or screen size changes), it can lead to what you're seeing.

Shutdown HD and delete the AppPrefs.xml file -- you should be good to go after that.

I'm assuming by "reasonably responsive" you mean that HD is not locking up on you, just slowing down.  If that's the case, look to the number of files (particularly prefabs) that you have open at any given time.  Too many, and there's a LOT of processing that HD has to perform anytime something changes in the current character in order to keep the prefabs up to date.

Correct - HD gets very slow -- we're talking as much as 1 minute just to change from the Basic Info tab to the Background tab.  It seems to be much, much worse when I'm on a 24" 1920x1080 display than when I'm using a smaller display with a lower resolution and PPI.

As for the number of open files and prefabs -- how/where would I check?  I googled "hero designer prefabs" and didn't come up with anything that might provide guidance.  (I have only the stock tabs open .... and am not using the result of the prefab creator, at all -- if that's what you meant.)

Post the trace.log file (or the contents of it) after the problem occurs -- it will show the number of open files as well as other info (like the memory on your system and how much is being allotted to HD)