Take control of another persons summon/ritual

illaden

My general question is the following 

How would you people design a power that takes over another persons summon power, transformation power and so on 
We meet a group of magicians last adventure and that question come up when they started to summon a great demon that they would control. 
What I wanted to do was to hijack the power and when the summoning was done I would be in charge over the demon instead. 
Have you people any idéa how to make a power like that ?

The ultimate effect is for you to be in control of the summoned creature.

I think that I would probably opt for a limited version of Mind Control.  I think I would have to require some kind of opposed roll with the magicians summoning prowess and also restricted to summoned creatures.  You might also want to add colour limitations such as taking time, making ritual or knowledge rolls etc to get your counter ritual in place to challenge the magicians.

Beyond that you would simply have to roll well enough to mind control the creature.

I like this route because it does not require you to have to replicate a variety of summoning spells, just to suborn a creature summoned by other people.

Doc

Summon linked to a Dispel, and with appropriate mimicking modifiers would work. So you stop their Summon and then summon whatever it was they were summoning. If your Dispel doesn't work, they succeed and you fail.

IMHO this is a fairly clean way to do it - all the normal Summon rules now apply between your character and the creature and the original casters are out of the loop. Mind Control leaves open the possibility that control of the creature will revert to the original summoner. Which is fine if that's what you want.

Pseudocode would be something like:

Dispel (Summon)

Summon (Limited Group - creatures summoned by target of linked Dispel +½), Linked to Dispel

Currently, summon does not give you control over that which you summon unless you put hefty advantages on the summon.  So I agree with Doc Democracy, the best way to go about it would be with a mind control to take over control of the summon creature.  To cheapen the cost, you could probably purchase it with a limitation, only affects summoned creatures.