VPP Skill?

g3taso

I want to model a power like "I know King-Fu" or learning to fly a helicopter in the Matrix. Lets say  modeling a small VPP with a single 3pt skill (or 3 1pt familiarities).

Variable Power Pool (Skills), 3 base + 1 control cost, (4 Active Points); all slots Skills Only (-1), Powers Must Be Changed By Operator (-1/2)

Is this the "super-cramming" way to pick up a 3pt skill(or some 1pt ones)? Or am I doing this wrong? I must apologize, as our game has never used them, so I'm ignorant.

You normally can't place Skills in a Power Framework because they're considered Special Powers. But if the GM decides this is they way they want to run such an effect, it's up to them.

However, it is possible to get the effect of switchable skills using Lockout on the skills in question.

A lot is going to depend on the setting. In some cases what you're looking at is just purchasable equipment. But for the most part, if you add a skill, you pay the points. Being in the Matrix, or having a computer brain might be the excuse to be able to instantly learn a new skill (by spending the CP) without having to train or study, though.

(How do you know Neo didn't have 10CP handy to learn Kung Fu with? :))

My fiendish idea is to have a VPP so I can pick a single skill (or 3 1pt familiarities) . I must assume that a VPP will cost more than just buying 3pts of skills.  The effect is generally along the line of the "Variable Effect" modifier you see on Suppress and others (I'm in 5th Edition). Think of it as Cramming, but I get a 3pt skill instead of a 1pt (or three 1pt).

Hopefully that helps clarify. And really, if there are alternate ways to do this I am all down for  checking them out.

Super Agility:  (Total: 46 Active Cost, 20 Real Cost) Breakfall 13- (Real Cost: 3) <b>plus</b> Combat Driving 13-, Usable As: Combat Piloting (+1/4) (4 Active Points) (Real Cost: 4) <b>plus</b> Stealth 13- (Real Cost: 3) <b>plus</b> Flight 7m, Position Shift, Reduced Endurance (1/2 END; +1/4), Variable Advantage (+1/4 Advantages; Limited Group of Advantages: Mostly "Usable As ____"; +1/2), Trigger (Activating the Trigger is an Action that takes no time, Trigger resets automatically, immediately after it activates; +1 1/4) (36 Active Points); Limited Power Only to simulate Agility Skills (-1), Requires A Roll (13- roll; Must be made each Phase/use; -1/2), Restrainable (-1/2), Only In Contact With A Surface (-1/4), no Noncombat movement (-1/4) (Real Cost: 10)

Super Intellect:  (Total: 67 Active Cost, 27 Real Cost) Analyze:  Anything! 13-, Variable Special Effects (Any SFX; +1/2) (4 Active Points) (Real Cost: 4) <b>plus</b> Paramedics 11- (Real Cost: 3) <b>plus</b> Inventor 11- (Real Cost: 3) <b>plus</b> Detect A Large Class Of Things: Answer to any question an Intellectual Skill could answer 13- (Unusual Group), Discriminatory, Analyze, Tracking (25 Active Points); Extra Time (Full Phase, -1/2), Concentration, Must Concentrate throughout use of Constant Power (1/2 DCV; -1/2), Sense Affected As More Than One Sense [very common Sense] (Usually has to see things ; -1/2), Nonpersistent (-1/4) (Real Cost: 9) <b>plus</b> Major Transform 1d6+1, Variable Special Effects (Limited Group of SFX: Intellectual Skill Effects; +1/4), Improved Results Group (+1/4), Variable Advantage (+1/2 Advantages; +1) (32 Active Points); Extra Time (Full Phase, -1/2), Concentration, Must Concentrate throughout use of Constant Power (1/2 DCV; -1/2), No Range (-1/2), Restrainable (-1/2), Requires A Roll (13- roll; Must be made each Phase/use; -1/2), Inaccurate (1/2 OCV; -1/4), Limited Power Only to simulate Intellectual Skills (-1/4) (Real Cost: 8)

Lucius Alexander

Super Palindromedary Tagline

On 12/2/2017 at 3:06 PM, g3taso said:

Variable Power Pool (Skills), 3 base + 1 control cost, (4 Active Points); all slots Skills Only (-1), Powers Must Be Changed By Operator (-1/2)

I think the way you're doing it works pretty well. (Subject to GM approval, obviously.) Although if you want to be able to buy a 3-point Skill, you need to up the Control Cost to 3 as well. And depending on how fast/easy it is to swap Skills, consider "No Skill Roll" and/or "Can be changed as 1/2 (or 0) Phase Action."

My group had talked about something similar to model the Intersect from the show Chuck. The problem is it becomes a very cheap way to know, basically, everything you want to. Expect some resentment from other players who actually spent point to learn a bunch of Skills the normal way. Use with caution...

I get that BDH. The idea is a support power, like Cramming but a real 3pt skill. Something that we can add a useful skill for an upcoming adventure off-camera (probably with Extra Time of 6 hours or longer and an immobile focus). Very much like Dollhouse, if Dollhouse involved small unit tactics regularly.  It's not a powergaming impulse, it's the notion that Dollhouse (and others) is a really neat idea. BTW here's what that Dollhouse VPP might look like:

Variable Power Pool (Skills), 3 base + 3 control cost,  (6 Active Points); Extra Time (1 Day, Only to Activate, -2), OAF Immobile (-2).    Yes, the :Limitations don't affect the cost. They are flavor.

There's plenty of examples in fiction of this sort of thing, it's mainly a matter of working out what it is you're really wanting and selling it to the GM.

In the case of Neo - I don't recall him ever forgetting Kung Fu, so he's more likely a case of spending XP on the fly. In fact, if you were to actually run The Matrix, you could tell the players they were playing a low power, modern day campaign and to design regular guys that might need to get involved in "something" later on. Then, once the big reveal happens, start handing out XP like candy until they get to the actual point values you had in mind all along.

Changing skills back at base is definitely something that you see sometimes and it's likely to be okay.

On 12/2/2017 at 4:06 PM, g3taso said:

I want to model a power like "I know King-Fu" or learning to fly a helicopter in the Matrix. Lets say  modeling a small VPP with a single 3pt skill (or 3 1pt familiarities).

Is this the "super-cramming" way to pick up a 3pt skill(or some 1pt ones)? Or am I doing this wrong? I must apologize, as our game has never used them, so I'm ignorant.

Subject to GM approval, I'd go this route as well.

On 12/2/2017 at 5:06 PM, g3taso said:

As BDH pointed out, the Control needs to be 3 points if you're going to have an actual skill like Acrobatics or Lockpicking there, rather than just Familiarity.  This doesn't change the Active Points at all, just makes it technically correct.

And if you're looking for uploading martial arts, you may want to increase the VPP Pool to 8-10 points to upload multiple martial arts maneuvers, and the Control to 4-5 points to cover the max cost of any maneuver.  (Though IMO that's starting to take this into "potentially abusive" territory.)

The other correction I would make is to have the Limitations on the VPP itself, not on the slots.  I think that's just a wording mistake.

If you're actually looking at a major ability makeover that you need to be back at base to perform, Multiform with most stuff staying the same might really be what you're after anyway, and can be more flexible than just a skill pool would allow. Kung Fu mode, Scientist Mode, Acrobat Mode, Ace Pilot/Driver mode etc.