Ranged Weapon with STR Bonus for Damage

C-Note

1 minute ago, C-Note said:

How would I construct a Ranged Weapon (Heroic Campaign) that allows a character to add in their STR bonus for damage?  e.g. Odysseus' Bow.  Use Hand-to-Hand attack with the "Ranged" modifier?

The Bow of Odysseus did not add damage from STR. It was high damage and was a Focus defined as Personal rather than Universal.

However, if you want a bow that adds STR damage, just give it STR minimum. Most bows do NOT add damage because they took STR min with the option to not add damage, which is a further Limitation.

Lucius Alexander

Tagline does not add palindromedary damage

Interesting.  Hero Designer does not allow adding a STR minimum on a Ranged Attack unless you include the adder "STR Min. Cannot Add/Subtract Damage".  Looking in 6E2, it doesn't look like the RAW permit adding STR bonus damage to Ranged Attacks.   Unless I'm missing something.

6E2 p199: "Characters can also apply STR Minimum to
Ranged weapons, such as bows, crossbows, and
guns. However, those weapons are built with Blast
or RKA, neither of which add damage from STR.
Therefore characters can never add damage to
these weapons by using extra STR..."

Any other ideas?  Thanks.

For thrown weapons, Range Based on STR is also an option.

As a general comment, I'd avoid this for bows. It really does not make sense - the draw of a bow is pretty much fixed to the arrow length and largely baked into the design. You can underdraw it for less damage (which the "STR Min cannot add damage" covers nicely). In the event a player wants to try using a bow with a longer arrow and overdrawing it, I'd allow it as a makeshift solution, but definitely impose a higher chance of breaking the bow and apply an OCV penalty. For a designed bow just take the appropriate DC RKA+STR Min in the first place. It's certainly realistic to construct a powerful bow that only Heroic Strength can draw.

One caveat - magical effects could allow it, and I'm fine with that. It's also possible that you could have the effect through technology... for example a "bow" that uses some other way to store muscle energy than deforming a spring (maybe electromagnetism) and/or which then propels a missile indirectly.

HKA+Ranged works well for a long range thrown weapon (javelin, boomerang, magic hammer etc), though.

12 hours ago, C-Note said:

How would I construct a Ranged Weapon (Heroic Campaign) that allows a character to add in their STR bonus for damage?  e.g. Odysseus' Bow.  Use Hand-to-Hand attack with the "Ranged" modifier?

In 5th ed you allowed to add ranged to HA only in Heroic games. So a Tonfa that is throwable would be written up this way. 

20 hours ago, C-Note said:

Interesting.  Hero Designer does not allow adding a STR minimum on a Ranged Attack unless you include the adder "STR Min. Cannot Add/Subtract Damage". 

Hero Designer seems to be letting me do it.

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary is trying to stop me for some reason....

21 hours ago, Ninja-Bear said:

Off the top of my head, just the talent - deadly blow define it as normal damage and add limitation STR min. (Away from books not sure if this works)

Thing is with Deadly Blow is that a 90 pound weakling would get the same deal as Hercules, so it's not really what was asked for. Deadly Blow represents really good shot placement, not sheer force.

Edit: just realised you added STR limit on it. So I guess... seems simpler just to work with the base powers that Deadly Blow is actually built from, though.

Just now, mrinku said:

Thing is with Deadly Blow is that a 90 pound weakling would get the same deal as Hercules, so it's not really what was asked for. Deadly Blow represents really good shot placement, not sheer force.

No. I said STR min. So if the DB has STR min 15 and weak guy has STR 8 then he isn’t getting a bonus. And Deadly blow can be placement (which I usually use) but can be for STR or super sharp blade or blessed weapon or damned weapon or anything else the sfx is approved. This is Hero after all.

On 12/4/2017 at 5:34 AM, C-Note said:

Try saving the character and then reopening it.  On mine, the "STR minimum" limitation disappears from the Ranged Attack.

I can add the strength min without issue.  Go to Help and select About.  Under the words HERO Designer 6, it should denote the build version.  What version does it say?