How To Build: Lock-On

CrosshairCollie

AoE Radius 2m is the 6e equivalent. Instead of buying a cheaper advantage, you spend less points on the AoE size.

And while not autohit, it will scatter if you miss, which may not be what was desired. It will also hit anyone very close to the target (i.e. a hostage) and can't usually be used to make placed shots.

Dunno of anyone's mentioned it, but Brace goes well with Cover, too. If you have lead time, Brace and Set work well from ambush.

An "always hits" advantage really ends up only being worth around +1/2, with a reasonably common or easy to use way to avoid the hit (like line of sight).  I know it sounds super powerful but really the cost of a bunch of levels to hit with or buying that AE hex kludge is pretty inexpensive.

The other problem with AoE is that the target can abort to dive for cover to completely evade the area of effect, while against a direct attack they would actually need to get behind cover for it to matter. You can work around that by targeting the character directly, but then it's normal OCV vs DCV to hit them (and usually a much higher chance of inconvenient scatter). So it usually doesn't simulate a super accurate attack as well as the same points spent increasing OCV.

On 12/4/2017 at 10:35 PM, Lucius said:

Sure Shot:  (Total: 4 Active Cost, 2 Real Cost) +2 with Cover (4 Active Points); Limited Power Must go ahead and take the shot if the roll succeeds. (-1/2), Requires A Roll (15- roll; Must be made each Phase/use; -1/4) (Real Cost: 2)

Does not expend END or Charges unless either attack hits, or a 16 to 18 is rolled.

In 5e, I can't put limitations on a 2pt CSL

4 hours ago, Ninja-Bear said:

The 2pt csl should be specified for use with covered. I wouldn’t worry about giving it a limitation.

The limitation is very much about the specific query of the OP.

The SFX are that if a shot is missed, it uses no END and depletes no charges.  That implies that there is indeed an attempt to attack but it saves you resources.  As such, being able to abort the shot would not be in the spirit of the power...would work for other situations though.

Doc

On ‎12‎/‎6‎/‎2017 at 6:04 PM, mrinku said:

The other problem with AoE is that the target can abort to dive for cover to completely evade the area of effect, while against a direct attack they would actually need to get behind cover for it to matter. You can work around that by targeting the character directly, but then it's normal OCV vs DCV to hit them (and usually a much higher chance of inconvenient scatter). So it usually doesn't simulate a super accurate attack as well as the same points spent increasing OCV.

AoE (to desired size/shape),  Accurate (+1/4), Constant (+1/2), Reduced Endurance (+1/2), Usable As Attack (+1 1/4) .... should resolve the Dive For Cover problem, as the Accurate advantage gets you a specific target within the AoE while still targeting only DCV 3 ... and the Usable As Attack advantage allows you to 'attach' the Constant power to said specific target (per 6e1 p359) so that said target can't simply dive outside of the affected area to escape it.  (Reduced END is just icing to make the Constant power END-affordable.  One could just as easily do Continuing Charges, instead ... if one wanted to bring the active point cost down some .... and if Charges made sense for the power build, of course.)

Note that I presumed the attack was neither AoE nor Constant to begin with ... which is important if, say, the attack was something like Darkness (which is already an AoE ... and Constant) ... meaning you wouldn't need the AoE or Constant pieces of the advantage puzzle for a Darkness attack (because Darkness inherently has both, already).

Mmmm.  'Locking on' usually takes time; that time could, I think, be represented by the 'Cover' maneuver.  Purchase the OCV with the Cover maneuver (which basically means 'I know I hit because I already rolled the dice') and then the shooter can decide at the end of the phase whether or not the shot actually gets taken.  Otherwise the lock-on doesn't happen (i.e. the Cover maneuver doesn't succeed) and no shot is taken, no END or Charge expended.

If all you want is the accuracy you could use the require roll with the roll being an attack.  This would still use charges, END and any other prep for the power.  The attack roll may need to take a penalty based on active points, but you could purchase skill levels to compensate. 

You could possibly use the trigger advantage with the trigger also being the attack roll.  I would say you would need to be able to define the trigger with each use, you would also need the automatically reset, and probably the can expire as well.    This may allow not to spend the charges or END. It would of course be a GM’s call, but may work.