Jump to content
Tech priest support

Hate free, snark free, holiday movie thread.

Recommended Posts

Ok, it's nearly christmas so let's have one hate free, snark free thread on holiday movies you actually like and why.

I have a few. 

 

Most versions of a christmas carol are on my holiday view list. I like some of the older ones with Alistair sims, My favorite straight up version is the one starring George C. Scott, tho the one with Patrick Stweart comes in a close second. A variant I really like that doesn't seem popular is the musical Scrooge with Albert Finney.  Especially the uncut version with scrooge going to hell.

A peanuts christmas is a sentimental favorite.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Home Alone, though not typically to watch myself.  My two daughters have a tradition of doing a "sister sleepover" Christmas eve, where they "sleep" in the same room.  I put quotes around that word, because I think they're lucky if they get 3 hours sleep.  They typically wake up about 3-4 am, watch Home Alone (sometimes with HA-2 and HA-3), sort out the presents, and fight off the urge to wake up Mom and Dad too early.

 

It's a Wonderful Life, to watch just once over the holiday season. 

 

A Christmas Story, if only to see the Santa say "You'll shoot your eye out, kid" and then give him a boot-shove down the slide.  For some reason, that always cracks me up. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Scrooge 1951 with Alistair Sim. To see this once over the season is good.

 

I like Scrooged wth Bill Murray as well.

 

Then of course it is not Christmas until Nakatomi Plaza goes up. Die Hard. Although Die Hard 2 is set during the same holiday season you just don't get the same seasonal feeling. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Other than Die Hard, I don't really have any movies I really like.  I do like some of the xmas shows though - The Grinch and Santa Claus is Coming to Town are two of my favs (COLD MISER, HEAT MISER!).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My short list is Die Hard, Miracle on 34th Street, and the Alastair Sims Christmas Carol. As far as old Christmas specials go, I'm good with Santa Claus is Coming to Town, How the Grinch Stole Christmas, and Frosty the Snowman. Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer* sometimes makes my list, as does Little Drummer Boy.

 

 

 

 

*Back in my old retail days, I would wear a Santa hat during the holidays at work. Usually, I'd have a goatee, which would get me comparisons to the head elf in Rudolph. My current goal is to look like Yukon Cornelius, but I don't think that my beard's going to co-operate.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Everyone has already mentioned my go-to's, and since TV episodes seem to be fair game, here's a few of my faves that haven't been mentioned:

 

Santa Claus Conquors the Martians: I prefer the MST3K version but it has also been riffed by Rifftrax and Cinematic Titanic

 

The Adventure of the Blue Carbuncle episode of the Jeremy Brett Sherlock Holmes series.  Set during Christmas, one of the only mysteries that doesn't have a murder and does have an atypical happy ending

 

Comfort and Joy from DCAU Justice League and Holiday Knights from Batman: The Animated Series

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, BoloOfEarth said:

Home Alone, though not typically to watch myself.  My two daughters have a tradition of doing a "sister sleepover" Christmas eve, where they "sleep" in the same room.  I put quotes around that word, because I think they're lucky if they get 3 hours sleep.  They typically wake up about 3-4 am, watch Home Alone (sometimes with HA-2 and HA-3), sort out the presents, and fight off the urge to wake up Mom and Dad too early.

 

It's a Wonderful Life, to watch just once over the holiday season. 

 

A Christmas Story, if only to see the Santa say "You'll shoot your eye out, kid" and then give him a boot-shove down the slide.  For some reason, that always cracks me up. 

 

I always like the part where the kid sticks his tongue to the pole. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Badger said:

I always like the part where the kid sticks his tongue to the pole.

 

That one always makes me uncomfortable, because of a similar incident in my youth involving my stepbrothers.  But that aside, there were plenty of funny moments in that movie to make it otherwise enjoyable.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/7/2017 at 2:56 AM, Tech priest support said:

Most versions of a christmas carol are on my holiday view list. I like some of the older ones with Alistair sims, My favorite straight up version is the one starring George C. Scott, tho the one with Patrick Stweart comes in a close second. A variant I really like that doesn't seem popular is the musical Scrooge with Albert Finney.  Especially the uncut version with scrooge going to hell.

The beauty of George C. Scott's Scrooge is that the performance cuts through the traditional pretense (Scott doesn't even bother to alter his accent) and reaches what makes Scrooge himself, and what makes the character so compelling.

 

A Christmas Carol isn't really about Christmas. Or money, for that matter (though statements about "the love of money being the root of all evil" certainly apply to Scrooge). It is about a man who has poisoned himself mentally and morally, and has been paying the price for years with isolation and loneliness. Scrooge is, at heart, a lonely, bitter old man no longer capable of seeing the good in human beings -- even himself.

 

And then the really wonderful thing happens -- Scrooge can be saved. Even Scrooge, greedy and covetous as he is, lonely and contemptuous as he is -- has a glimmer of humanity that is waiting to be fanned into a flame. It's not a religious conversion, but rather a change in life that is something far deeper. I can imagine Scrooge applying his cleverness and insight to the business of mankind -- you won't be able to con or trick him, because he already knows all the tricks, but he would make other lives better as he "keeps Christmas in his heart".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, BoloOfEarth said:

 

That one always makes me uncomfortable, because of a similar incident in my youth involving my stepbrothers.  But that aside, there were plenty of funny moments in that movie to make it otherwise enjoyable.

 

Uhhh, I'd rather not know about that triple dog dare.  

 

For what it is worth, as a kid my friends tied me to a tree, when playing Cowboys&Indians........and completely forgot about it.  :fear:

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The short list? I like to call it the Shane Black collection: 

Iron Man 3

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang 
The Long Kiss Goodnight
The Last Boy Scout 
Lethal Weapon

 

We can also add: 

Die Hard

Trading Places (Although I tend to watch this on New Years Eve) 

 

For full on Christmas movies  we also have:

The Ref 

Scrooged 

Krampus 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I try to watch The Muppet Christmas Carol every year. I love that version and I think Michael Caine is tremendous as Scrooge.

 

And I know it is weird, but I cry every time Robin as Tiny Tim dies.  Just something about a grieving Kermit and Miss Piggy...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ok. My list.

 

Rupert the Great: Jimmy Durante and a stop motion squirrel star in this fantasy holliday movie which lectures against hording of wealth, and the uplifting effect of charity in saving neighborhoods.

 

Thank you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Dr. MID-Nite said:

Despite it being overplayed to death, I still enjoy Christmas Story. I also like all the Rankin Bass shorts. Miracle on 34th Street is also a good one.

 

I really enjoyed Miracle on 34th Street until I realized he was just a crazy old man.

 

Daniel D. Tompkins!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/9/2017 at 8:46 PM, Psybolt said:

I try to watch The Muppet Christmas Carol every year. I love that version and I think Michael Caine is tremendous as Scrooge.

 

And I know it is weird, but I cry every time Robin as Tiny Tim dies.  Just something about a grieving Kermit and Miss Piggy...

I second The Muppet Christmas Carol.  I also try to watch Muppet Family Christmas on YouTube every year.  It's one of my absolute favorites.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×