Merging

HeroGM

An easy way to do it is duplication, with the default form being the duplicates, and bought at lower power level than the merged form.  Throw some limitations on it like "can only merge limited times/duration per day" and have the duplicates be different and you get the basic effect.

Another is for the GM to let players build a gestalt character that they can combine into for special occasions or in certain circumstances.

I'm on the same page as Christopher R Taylor, as the Duplication approach (with the default form being the duplicates ... bought at a lower power level than the lead form ... using appropriate limitations) is the one I'd use.  The concept of Combining is detailed in APG1 starting on p58 ... and p59 goes into the use of Duplication for this purpose.

This build requires GM approval to place Duplication(a special power) in a multipower.  The always on limitation means that one or the other slot must always be active.  This is how I would do it with the core 6e books.  The APG probably has a better solution which I am not looking at since its late.

57 Multipower, 85-point reserve,  (85 Active Points); all slots Always On (-1/2)

6f) Multiform (400 Character Points in the most expensive form) (Instant Change) (85 Active Points); Always On (-1/2)

6f) Duplication (creates 163-point form), Easy Recombination (Zero-Phase Action at Full DCV), Altered Duplicates (100%; +1) (85 Active Points); Always On (-1/2)

• 2 weeks later...

Was hoping for the information from APG.

Pages are reversed but hopefully you get the. Both characters are run by a single player (in this case) with the GM stepping in in case of abuse.

Both kids clasp hands / bang bracelets and become Valor (male or female).

twins.png.7560bd3e57617fb47e0c3cdf4ff3e13d.png

Publication1.png

If they're both run by the same player then the lesser duplicate approach paid for by the strongest form approach  that was mentioned is cleanest.

IE: a 400 point hero (the super hero form) spends 25 points for two 100 point duplicates.... (and somehow ceases to exist when they're active. Hmm. Trickier than I thought.)

1 hour ago, DasBroot said:

If they're both run by the same player then the lesser duplicate approach paid for by the strongest form approach  that was mentioned is cleanest.

IE: a 400 point hero (the super hero form) spends 25 points for two 100 point duplicates.... (and somehow ceases to exist when they're active. Hmm. Trickier than I thought.)

that's why you combine it with Multiform

Ah, I get what you were going for now.  One form is a small multiform with duplication (not normally a fan of the dreaded 'nested 5s' - like multi-forms with duplication, summon, bases, vehicles, etc) while the bulk remains the superhero form.  Rather than 'combining' the duplicates switch multi-forms and turn into the hero ('disappearing' because that multiform doesn't have Duplication.).  That's pretty cool.

I originally parsed that as the largest point form having duplication and multiform, for some reason.

Yeah its a bit of a complicated build but it works out cleanly once you get the mechanics down.

Probably the best way to do it is to build the main big hero that everyone combines into with all the points.  Give that form a multiform and duplication.

When the character is not its gestalt form combined together, then it uses duplication to create altered, weaker duplicates, and the original multiforms into a copy of the weaker duplicates.  This multiform automatically goes off linked to duplication every time; it simply turns into the lower powered copy every time duplication is used.

Now you have a bunch of identical powered, minor characters, one of whom becomes the big powered form when the duplication is turned off.

I like Cassandra's idea, though it might be cleaner to go with Follower when both characters are meant to be controlled by the same player. DNPC means the GM can (and should) complicate things by having the DNPC unavailable, kidnapped etc on a regular basis. Paying the points for Follower shifts the control to the player. But you may want that level of  complication.

With either the DNPC or Follower approach, an appropriate Physical Complication such as "Merges With Partner in Hero ID" should cover things.

• 2 weeks later...

Im sort of new to the game but could you set it up like this:

Duplicate    ( limited to only one of,  say 50 cp? to be normal ish) game starts with a duplicate, duplicate is different/less powerful ( up to you, to simulate being to different people)

Multiform   this is your "gestalt form",trigger on (recombining with your duplicate), trigger off ( a time limit perhaps? because you cant maintain the form for too long or something)

then, switching back to your regular form triggers the duplicate

This is a basic idea of what i thought of, sorry i don't have the math all figured out.

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

The officially accepted method is to use a linked Duplication+Multiform construct, but I consider that a hold-over from previous editions.

My prefered method is for each of the component characters to purchase Crew Served Multiform.

The alternate form is the fusion of the two characters (whatever that fusion has been defined as). The characters are most likely one PC and their Follower(s), and individually they have fewer points because they share the cost of their combined form... plus one has to buy the others as followers.