strtnewman

Martial/Non-Martial Maneuver

In 5Ed it says on "Strike" the damage is STR or by weapon type. I go into HD6 and make a new character with str of 10. I go to martial arts and select the "Basic Strike", not the "Martial Strike" and it gives me the damage as 4d6. There is no "Strike" maneuver, so I would guess the "Basic Strike" as being the maneuver. The basic strike is also giving a +1 ocv/+0 dcv, whereas the book gives strike as +0/+0. What am I missing.

7 hours ago, strtnewman said:

In 5Ed it says on "Strike" the damage is STR or by weapon type. I go into HD6 and make a new character with str of 10. I go to martial arts and select the "Basic Strike", not the "Martial Strike" and it gives me the damage as 4d6. There is no "Strike" maneuver, so I would guess the "Basic Strike" as being the maneuver. The basic strike is also giving a +1 ocv/+0 dcv, whereas the book gives strike as +0/+0. What am I missing.

What you're missing is the distinction between "Strike" and "Basic Strike."

Strike is available to every character, costs no points, and provides no bonus to combat value or damage.

Basic Strike, despite the name, is not available to all characters, has a point cost, and provides a bonus to damage and to combat value.

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary says the Martial Arts Tab in Hero Designer has only maneuvers that cost points. Including the free maneuvers would be pointless.

4 hours ago, Hyper-Man said:

HD only lists maneuvers that cost points by default and those are the martial versions. Use the custom maneuver option if you want to build the standard ones.

Doing it that way, the "standard" maneuvers would still have a minimum point cost of 1. There IS a way to make a maneuver free on the Martial Arts tab and I will explain how if anyone really wants to know but it's not all that easy or obvious.

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary wants more martial arts for quadrepeds

17 hours ago, Lucius said:

Doing it that way, the "standard" maneuvers would still have a minimum point cost of 1. There IS a way to make a maneuver free on the Martial Arts tab and I will explain how if anyone really wants to know but it's not all that easy or obvious.

7 hours ago, Ninja-Bear said:

I’m interested Lucius.

Okay. The only way I know to get the cost of a Maneuver on the Martial Arts tab to 0 is to use a Cost Multiplier of 0.0.

edit;  it might be worth emphasizing that just because this is the only technique I know, doesn't mean it's the only way to do it or even the best way. I'm sure there are plenty of people around here who know the ins and outs of the Hero Designer program much better than I do.

Now, it's entirely possible that you won't see "Cost Multiplier" as an option. If it's available, it will show down at the bottom of the window you are editing the maneuver in, right next to "Create Notes."

If it's not available, you have to availabilize it. To do that, go to "Current Character" then to "Campaign Rules" then "View/Edit Campaign Rules" then to the "Rules" tab.  You will see an option to check "Allow Cost Multipliers." Click on that box to put a checkmark there. Then "Save" at the bottom of that window. It may be necessary to close and re-open Hero Designer, but now you can use Cost Multipliers when appropriate.

I suppose you could also use them when NOT appropriate, but that's between you and your Game Operations Director.

If that's too many hoops, you could also just use a Martial Arts List and put a negative Adder on the List that cancels out the cost of any Maneuvers that should be free. This will look less elegant on the sheet but will still zero out the cost.

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary wants more martial arts for quadrepeds