Superhero: Potions

iamlibertarian

Preferred GM method of making potions: Delayed Effect vs Trigger

Even though 6E1 332 says about Delayed Effect, "It’s not recommended for Superheroic campaigns." I have seen examples of Delayed Effect used for potions in superhero environment source books, as well as Trigger.

I am looking for what your average GM prefers when it comes to potions.

I usually use charges too. But that is because most Champions books I’ve seen uses charges not because I’ve sat down and looked at other limitations. And a caveat about your question. Remember even the book will tell you that just because something is or isn’t recommended, it does comes down what you think should be in the game ultimately.

Simplest: just go with charges, and ignore any time lag in taking effect. The potion itself could be a focus.

Or treat the whole thing as an Only In (whatever) ID. Maybe with an Accidental Change: back to unpowered form after (period of time).

Or a Physical Limitation - powers only work for a period of time. (Needs a new dose to restore abilities.)

Or a Dependence, if the potion is addictive.

Or...

6 hours ago, iamlibertarian said:

Ok, I like that even better... Thanks! Though the source material seems to suggest Delayed Effect or Trigger...hmmm...

If you feel that Delayed effect and or trigger better represents what you see in fiction then by all means use it! Btw when I get a chance, I should look at Steve Long’s Chinese wizard and sample spells. He might even use those limitations.

39 minutes ago, iamlibertarian said:

Clarification for all... When I am talking about "Potions", I am talking about not just having a focus for a power, but the true potion where all the heavier limitations are done prior to use... Extra time, charges, any END cost, so on and so forth, then just being able to drink the potion on a moment's notice.

Then I think what you meant to ask about (but didn't ask about, originally) is how to portray alchemy ... since that's the preparatory component/activity that yields the potions.  However, since you asked about potions ... you got responses about (wait for it) ... potions. :)

i.e. The Trigger vs. Delayed Effect remarks in the original post weren't really enough for people to clue into the fact that you were really inquiring how others toolkit alchemy, itself, I suspect.

Interestingly, in Superheroic games, I wouldn't toolkit Alchemy, at all -- as I think that's more inline with an agent-level game.  i.e. a VPP or a MP with charges is 'good enough' for me (and many ... maybe even most?) when it comes to a SuperHeroic game.