Star Wars 8 complaint box

massey

14 hours ago, sinanju said:

He confronted THAT man with no intention of ever killing him.

No mention of ever killing him? What the hell are you talking about???

He was beating the crap out of him in anger, barely able to stop himself when he realised "his hand is cybernetic too" (his "save Martha" moment?). And all just because he mentioned his sister.

We have no evidence (in movie form) that Luke became a paragon of Jedi virtues (like Obi-Wan) after the end of Return of the Jedi. Yes, he stepped back from the edge of giving in completely to the dark side by not killing Vader, but we have no way of knowing if he was able to forever resist his darker impulses afterwords. I think fans just assume that he did, and fiercely protect this mythical version of him. Do we know where Lucas was planning to take the Luke character in his own version of episodes 7-9?

I always thought of Luke as being the person who was supposed to bring "balance" of light and dark. He didn't have the weight of centuries of Jedi teachings, so he had love, anger, regret, hope etc still in him, but could get past them to function (sort of like a normal person is supposed to). The Jedi teachings apparently had grown to be to bury all emotions, which is why it had grown stagnant and wanted to start training children prior to age 5 or so. The Sith were supposed to be the exact opposite (strangely then, more Anakin and Kylo then Palpatine or Douku), and all about the more darker emotions. I always figured that's what they meant by balance to the force. Someone who could walk either path, but tended to walk neither, but just stay somewhere in the middle (hopefully more on the side of morality as opposed to light or dark).

3 hours ago, zslane said:

We have no evidence (in movie form) that Luke became a paragon of Jedi virtues (like Obi-Wan) after the end of Return of the Jedi. Yes, he stepped back from the edge of giving in completely to the dark side by not killing Vader, but we have no way of knowing if he was able to forever resist his darker impulses afterwords. I think fans just assume that he did, and fiercely protect this mythical version of him. Do we know where Lucas was planning to take the Luke character in his own version of episodes 7-9?

Depends on what you consider evidence.

We've got all the Extended Universe (Legends) stuff.  And while I haven't read all of it, the stuff I have read never suggested that Luke would out-and-out murder someone just because of what they *might* become.

Nevermind . . . not sure how I missed "in movie form".

Sorry about that.

18 minutes ago, slikmar said:

I always thought of Luke as being the person who was supposed to bring "balance" of light and dark. .... I always figured that's what they meant by balance to the force. Someone who could walk either path, but tended to walk neither, but just stay somewhere in the middle (hopefully more on the side of morality as opposed to light or dark).

I thought bringing balance to Force referred to the fact that Vader had hunted the Jedi to extinction, leaving only the Sith and their devotion to the dark side to reign supreme, as it were. Luke was meant to train a new generation of Jedi to balance the scales. It doesn't make sense to me that this so-called "balance" was supposed to be embodied by a single individual.

1 minute ago, Vanguard said:

Depends on what you consider evidence.

We've got all the Extended Universe (Legends) stuff.  And while I haven't read all of it, the stuff I have read never suggested that Luke would out-and-out murder someone just because of what they *might* become.

Well, that's why I wrote "(in movie form)" in my post; to qualify the fact that I only consider the movies as canon. Sure, maybe we can consider the Clone Wars garbage as canon too, but that material didn't involve Luke in any case.

3 minutes ago, zslane said:

Well, that's why I wrote "(in movie form)" in my post; to qualify the fact that I only consider the movies as canon. Sure, maybe we can consider the Clone Wars garbage as canon too, but that material didn't involve Luke in any case.

Yep that would be why you did that.

Again, not really sure how I managed to read your post and miss that, very important, part of it.

34 minutes ago, zslane said:

I thought bringing balance to Force referred to the fact that Vader had hunted the Jedi to extinction, leaving only the Sith and their devotion to the dark side to reign supreme, as it were. Luke was meant to train a new generation of Jedi to balance the scales. It doesn't make sense to me that this so-called "balance" was supposed to be embodied by a single individual.

Except, and maybe you disregard it, even in the prequels, they talked about Anakin being the person to bring balance. Perhaps the idea of the balance is to train force users in the future in both light and dark, or more to the point, gray scale. Only someone who could be either really could teach how to be neither, I would think.

Wasn't Luke supposed to have a revelation about the Dark Side not necessarily representing evil in one of the novels, and learn to use both sides of the Force without becoming corrupt? I'm not big on the extended universe material (read: I never read any of it, except that one comic with the green rabbit people), this is just something I heard somewhere. I was wondering if that was intended to be some of the EU stuff that was considered more or less canon or not, or if it was even really a thing.

Well, the Thrawn trilogy would have made a much better 7 through 9.   After that, the EU is a bit hit and miss  (though my canon* is whatever I like best between canon and legends, as both have a lot of dumb stuff to piddle through)

*Yes, I reject their canon, to substitute my own.

On ‎6‎/‎01‎/‎2018 at 2:06 PM, massey said:

The Last Jedi is so long that you could cut it down by 20 minutes and it would still be longer than Star Trek: The Motion Picture.

STTMP would still feel longer...

What I took out of Last Jedi mythology-wise was the whole point about the Force being self-balancing. Remember that scene where he's showing the natural light and dark sides to Rey? Most important thing in the film IMHO. I don't think Luke was running away totally; I think he'd worked out that the more he raised up the Jedi the more the dark side would rise to meet it, so the ultimate solution was to withdraw. His own presence in the Force was just making Snoke and Kylo stronger, and it now seems that his withdrawal probably caused Rey to get tapped to replace him. He'd possibly hoped that his cutting himself off would cause their power to fade, but once Rey was on the scene he realised that hadn't worked.

My hunch is that becoming one with the Force at the end is part of all that. I don't think we've seen the end of Luke, so calling it "suicide" is a bit harsh.

As has often been the case in the past, maybe the novelization will clear up a few points when it comes out in March.