Paladins

Maccabe

When building a standard "priest" you can add a limitation to their abilities that those said abilities only work when advancing their patrons cause.

Now I'm curious about paladins-aren't they usually more limited then priest types??  A priest might err and be forgiven but usually if a paladin "falls" they

can never be a paladin again.

What level of power limitation would you give to such a build?

I probably wouldn't, but if for some reason I were going to, I'd look into the Limitations for Expendable Focus and/or Charges Difficult to Recover.

One way might be to use Multiform:

Preternaturally Pure, Potent, and Positive Paladin Power!:  (Total: 80 Active Cost, 8 Real Cost) Multiform (400 Character Points in the most expensive form) (80 Active Points); 1 Charge which Never Recovers (-4), Extra Time (1 Year, Only to Activate, -3), Personality Loss First Roll After 1 Turn (-2), Must Be Used At Full Power (-0) (Real Cost: 8)

Give the Multiform a Complication:

Accidental Change:  Major Impurity Always (Uncommon)

If the paladin commits a significant violation of precept, they change back to their pre-paladin identity. Since the Multiform has only one Charge that was expended to become a paladin in the first place, they're stuck.

Unless you want to allow redemption, in which case they can rewrite the power:

Preternaturally Pure, Potent, and Positive Paladin Power!:  (Total: 80 Active Cost, 8 Real Cost) Multiform (400 Character Points in the most expensive form) (80 Active Points); 2 Charges which Never Recover (-3 1/2), Extra Time (1 Year, Only to Activate, -3), Personality Loss First Roll After 1 Turn (-2), Must Be Used At Full Power (-0) (Real Cost: 8)

Doesn't even cost any points to get a second nonrecoverable charge. But there's a reason the power has that Extra Time, and it shouldn't be an easy year for the penitent either.

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary says it only costs one point to get a third charge, but by that point don't you think either the paladin should give up on the Gods, or vice versa?

The idea that once a paladin falls it is forever is kind of a D&D thing.  Even the later editions of D&D relax this.  I don’t require this for any games I run.  I do require all the paladins powers to have religious restriction on them.  If you want to make it more difficult for a paladin to atone the best way would be to increase the value of the restriction. 

Typically the difference between a paladin and a priest is how they purchase their powers.  The priest is usually a spell caster so they tend to have more limitation on the spells.  Things like incantations, gestures, foci, and require a roll are fairly common limitations for a spell.  With Paladins they tend to have less limitations.  They are more like talents then spells.  Some of the talents are actually perfect for a paladin.  Just add the limitation religious restrictions to them and they work fine.