Superheroes might save the world, but they’d totally wreck the environment

Greywind

Two problems with that article:

1. Most superheroes don’t use/consume conventional energy sources, so the underlying basis of the article is flawed to begin with.

2. Examining how superheroes would impact “the real world” is a fundamentally flawed premise to begin with because superheroes don’t live in the real world, but rather a comic book world in which very little “real physics” play a role in anything that happens.

And then there's the fact that the fictitious world in which superheroes exist -- was made by their creators specifically for it to be set upon and/or messed up by villains .... as well as up, knocked down, and/or otherwise screwed up by superheroes as part of their efforts to save it.  (Let's talk about the Russian nuke that couldn't be stopped by Team Arrow in the DC TV universe, shall we?  OR heck, let's look at Flashpoint for a truly shining example of a superhero screwing up/with his world? :) )

I personally subscribe to the theory that most superhero universes have a "reset button." It might be a literal button in some of the nuttier universes, or it may be a reality-bendingly powerful cosmic being who likes to maintain the status quo of space-time and will use his/her/its powers to restore things to normal if something big happens that can't be fixed by more conventional means.

It's ironic. I was just thinking, the Champions Universe actually makes a big deal about having cleaner energy tech more common among the masses. then add to that superheroes and how they can do things like put out wildfires and the like (If they have the right set of powers)) and I actually think things balance out pretty nicely.

On 27/12/2017 at 5:38 AM, Greywind said:

“If I calculate my own carbon footprint, that's a bummer,” Traer says. “But if I calculate it for Batman, things get interesting.”

- I completely disagree ;-) 

2 hours ago, death tribble said:

The article makes one big mistake. What would happen if the heroes don't intervene.

Same as if they do intervene. Everybody Dies.

Eventually.

Now, as to who and when, that's just a matter of demographic statistics.

8 hours ago, Cassandra said:

Jodie Foster says Superhero Movies are destroying the world.

As if we needed more evidence of the persistent sense of self-importance that is Hollywood, now we're told that movies have the power to destroy mankind.  Only Jodie Foster knows what our viewing habits should be.

15 hours ago, Armory said:

As if we needed more evidence of the persistent sense of self-importance that is Hollywood, now we're told that movies have the power to destroy mankind.  Only Jodie Foster knows what our viewing habits should be.

She goes on to say she would only be interested in directing a super hero movie if the hero had  “really complex psychology”. Which suggests she has never seen a super hero movie. 

She's just saying the same thing that directors have said for a long time.  That the big budget spectacle movies tend to hurt the art of the movie.  She's just latching on with the current trend with superheroes/comics.  To be honest, I also see a trend that directors are long winded and overly egotistical and do not edit their films enough, wasting large amounts of money on useless scenes that only gratify themselves.

On January 3, 2018 at 12:32 PM, death tribble said:

She won the best actress Oscar twice. Three BAFTA awards and two Golden Globes.

In the Mutants and Masterminds Freedom City book they have a hero who repairs the city.

The article makes one big mistake. What would happen if the heroes don't intervene.

I kind of liked her in Maverick.

And she is married to David Hedison's daughter.

You know, getting back to this, might be amusing to have a character with some sort of constant area of effect transform to remove pollution or change environment to do the same.

"Not only does Captain Civic save buildings from crashing, air pollution  goes down 5% every time he pulls a kitten from a tree."

It's also worth pointing out that while Batman may have a horrendous carbon footprint, he is still just one guy. The "wreck the environment" tagline on the article is quite misleading, unless there are millions of equivalent supers kicking around. The Batmobile is still going to have a minor footprint compared to any commercial airliner, let alone a fleet of them.

And... is there any doubt that the proper Batman (Adam West) would take care to ensure all his Bat-operations were appropriately sensitive to the environment? I think not!

You know, getting back to this, might be amusing to have a character with some sort of constant area of effect transform to remove pollution or change environment to do the same.

I actually designed my original build for Earth Girl with a Change Environment effect that did this, but decided that it worked better for her to be an angry eco-terrorist who couldn't just make the environment better by passively occupying it. More fun to have her overturning bulldozers at rain forest slash-and-burn operations and shutting down pollution-heavy factories with minor earthquakes.