How to build shotgun with clip of four different ammo

Theros

I am looking for to build a shotgun where are four different type ammo in clip (clip contains 6 of each). Explosive (3d6 aoe), armor piercing (halves armor) , stun (1 hour) and spray shot (few meters wide after 5 meters or so and damage 2d6-1 and decreases a bit after every meter or so). Range for others 100m.

Could you help me :)

Assuming one type of shot at a time, it's a pretty simple multipower.  Looking at the ammo, it seems like:

Explosive (3d6 aoe)  Call that the baseline - say, 3d6 RKA, 16 meter radius, explosion (+1/4) doing full damage to a target on Ground Zero, and 1 DC less every 2 meters out (so 2 1/2d6 at 2-4 meters, 2d6+1 at 5-6, 2d6 at 7-8; 1 1/2d6 at 9-10, 1d6+1 at 11-12, 1d6 at 13-14, 1/2d6 at 15-16 and nothing further out).  Which is a BIG explosion...  That's 56 active points (AP)

armor piercing (halves armor)  3d6 RKA, Armor Piercing (+1/4) so same AP

stun (1 hour)  This sounds like non-lethal shot.  Hero doesn't "stun for an hour", but simply using a normal, rather than killing, attack (11d6 = 55 AP) should do the trick of a nonlethal attack designed to KO rather than kill the target.  It could even do no BOD damage if you want.

and spray shot (few meters wide after 5 meters or so and damage 2d6-1 and decreases a bit after every meter or so). A conic explosion area with no range is likely best for this one.  With 56 points, it could be 3d6 Conic Explosion losing a damage class every 3 meters.  That's 3d6 at point blank (but not very wide), falling to 2 1/2d6 at 3 meters, 2d6+1 at 6 meters, 2d6 at 9 meters, 1 1/2d6 at 12, 1d6+1 at 15, 1d6 at 18, 1/2d6 at 21 and 1 point from 24 - 27 meters.  The distance away is also the width of the cone.

Areas of effect can be pretty readily customized. 

The above are pretty SuperHeroic damage amounts, but it can be customized to taste for the desired damage levels of the game in question.

Range for Hero powers is standardized at 10x Base Points (450 meters for most of the above; 550 for the Stunning shot), but range modifiers make long distance targeting pretty challenging (at 100 meters out, you're taking a -8 OCV penalty), so some GMs would  not allow a limitation for capping the range at 100 meters instead, but nothing stops you defining the weapon as having less than that 450-550 meter max range anyway.  "Limited Range" is a -1/4 limitation, which a GM might allow if the game is likely to include the occasional situation where combat over a scale greater than 100 meters is likely.

48 minutes ago, Cassandra said:

Multipower (50 Points) [8c/4 Clips] (-0), OAF: Shotgun (-1)

u) EB 10d6

u) EB 4d6, AE One Hex (+1/2), NND [LS: Self Contained] (+1)

u) EB 6d6, AP (+1/2)

u) EB 6d6, Explosion (+1/2)

The above build looks good. The build assumes that the hero is going to roughly define the clips ammunition layout before hand, BUT the player needs not do so. In other words, the player is not saying that these 8 charges are the 10d6 Blast (6ed terminology), and those 8 charges are the 4d6 Area Of Effect 2" shells (again, 6ed terminology), ect. If you want to do it the other way, the Multipower becomes the standard 50 points without the Charges limitation, and the slots each have 8 charges in them (with the special effect of each batch of 8 charges is there own clip). 

1 hour ago, steriaca said:

The above build looks good. The build assumes that the hero is going to roughly define the clips ammunition layout before hand, BUT the player needs not do so. In other words, the player is not saying that these 8 charges are the 10d6 Blast (6ed terminology), and those 8 charges are the 4d6 Area Of Effect 2" shells (again, 6ed terminology), ect. If you want to do it the other way, the Multipower becomes the standard 50 points without the Charges limitation, and the slots each have 8 charges in them (with the special effect of each batch of 8 charges is there own clip). 

This is similar to what Hawkeye was using in the Avengers.  He had a limited number of arrows, but could chose which special arrowhead to use.

Since the clip has a specific order to the ammo, I'm thinking perhaps a Limitation (say, -1/4 Limited Power) should go on the Multipower reserve (but not on the slots) to represent the lack of ability to choose the new slot on the fly.

Hyper-Man has a good point that using Multiple Attack would effectively "change slots" of the Multipower in mid-Phase, which is against the rules.  With that in mind, I might not allow a Limitation on the reserve as I mention above, balancing this by allowing the shotgun user to switch slots on the fly by firing multiple shots in a Phase (but still having the requisite penalties from Multiple Attack).

I created a build several years ago for a very similar problem (6 shot revolver with 6 clips of different ammunition) I can't find the build or the original thread (a likely casualty of the multiple forum software changes). The way I did it was straightforward though. I built 1 Multipower and then used the Equipment Doubling rules to make 5 more (15 points with no limits). I also purchased Multiple Limbs and Ambidexterity and then applied IPE to everything but the base Multipower. Mechanically this created 5 extra limbs and 'guns' for each of them that could legally be fired up to 6 times in 1Phase with up to 6 different types of ammunition. Put some limitations on the extra limbs (Only to use 6 guns in 1) and acknowledge that the SFX is a single gun that fire up to 6 types of ammo in a single sequence via Multiple Attack.

4 hours ago, BoloOfEarth said:

Since the clip has a specific order to the ammo, I'm thinking perhaps a Limitation (say, -1/4 Limited Power) should go on the Multipower reserve (but not on the slots) to represent the lack of ability to choose the new slot on the fly.

I'm cautious allowing limitations on the reserve for limitations on changing slots.  Consider, for example, a requirement to spend Extra Time to change slots.  It certainly limits the character,s options.

But boil it down to the basics - assume a MP with a 60 point reserve, and two Fixed slots, a 12d6 Blast and a 6d6 Drain.  Assume a -1/4 limitation because it takes time to change the slot.

That's 60/1.25 = 48 points for the reserve + 6 points per slot (5 if you also allow the limitation on the slot), so he pays 60 points (58) for the Multipower.  How is that fair when compared to the character who bought a 12d6 Blast, or a 6d6 Drain, for 60 points?  They can't use the other power ever.

Now, if we assume the MP starts 'dormant' (the shotgun is not loaded at the start of combat), a limitation because the first shot will take extra time, as will each change to the slot used, now a limitation on the reserve seems OK.  But if the player gets to pre-select a starting point allocation, any limitation on changing the allocation should apply to the slots only, and not the reserve.

On 29.12.2017 at 3:33 AM, Hugh Neilson said:

Assuming one type of shot at a time, it's a pretty simple multipower.  Looking at the ammo, it seems like:

Explosive (3d6 aoe)  Call that the baseline - say, 3d6 RKA, 16 meter radius, explosion (+1/4) doing full damage to a target on Ground Zero, and 1 DC less every 2 meters out (so 2 1/2d6 at 2-4 meters, 2d6+1 at 5-6, 2d6 at 7-8; 1 1/2d6 at 9-10, 1d6+1 at 11-12, 1d6 at 13-14, 1/2d6 at 15-16 and nothing further out).  Which is a BIG explosion...  That's 56 active points (AP)

armor piercing (halves armor)  3d6 RKA, Armor Piercing (+1/4) so same AP

stun (1 hour)  This sounds like non-lethal shot.  Hero doesn't "stun for an hour", but simply using a normal, rather than killing, attack (11d6 = 55 AP) should do the trick of a nonlethal attack designed to KO rather than kill the target.  It could even do no BOD damage if you want.

and spray shot (few meters wide after 5 meters or so and damage 2d6-1 and decreases a bit after every meter or so). A conic explosion area with no range is likely best for this one.  With 56 points, it could be 3d6 Conic Explosion losing a damage class every 3 meters.  That's 3d6 at point blank (but not very wide), falling to 2 1/2d6 at 3 meters, 2d6+1 at 6 meters, 2d6 at 9 meters, 1 1/2d6 at 12, 1d6+1 at 15, 1d6 at 18, 1/2d6 at 21 and 1 point from 24 - 27 meters.  The distance away is also the width of the cone.

Areas of effect can be pretty readily customized. 

The above are pretty SuperHeroic damage amounts, but it can be customized to taste for the desired damage levels of the game in question.

Range for Hero powers is standardized at 10x Base Points (450 meters for most of the above; 550 for the Stunning shot), but range modifiers make long distance targeting pretty challenging (at 100 meters out, you're taking a -8 OCV penalty), so some GMs would  not allow a limitation for capping the range at 100 meters instead, but nothing stops you defining the weapon as having less than that 450-550 meter max range anyway.  "Limited Range" is a -1/4 limitation, which a GM might allow if the game is likely to include the occasional situation where combat over a scale greater than 100 meters is likely.

That is something that I am looking for. Total of 24 bullets in one clip (6 of each type) . Changing ammo type should take full phase and changing a clip should take one turn. Only single shots can be made. 

Just thinking that how big the cost will be. 

5 hours ago, Theros said:

That is something that I am looking for. Total of 24 bullets in one clip (6 of each type) . Changing ammo type should take full phase and changing a clip should take one turn. Only single shots can be made. 

Just thinking that how big the cost will be. 

To change ammo in one phase, I'd limit each slot with "extra time, 1 phase, only to activate".  Whatever ammo was set at the start of combat can be used immediately.

Multiple clips are covered in the rules for Charges, with limitations decreasing (to the point of becoming advantages) the more charges the character has available.  Alternatively, "recoverable charges" could easily simulate the ability to reload easily out of combat (spending a whole turn in combat changing clips is unlikely at best - a turn is a long time in combat), but that's not the usual purpose of recoverable charges.

By the book, 6 charges per slot would be a limitation on each slot, with no limitation on the reserve cost of the Multipower.  i find this does not reduce the cost commensurate with the limited use of the Multipower, so I am inclined to allow a limitation on the reserve consistent with the usual rules for limitations common to all slots.

If the GM is going to enforce the RAW for charges, they should also accept the RAW that limitations on changing slots impact the reserve cost, not the slot cost.

3 hours ago, Greywind said:

You need a shotgun with 4 barrels so that you have the ability to pick and choose which round to fire (side-by-side).

Otherwise you have to fire the rounds in the inverse order in which they are loaded (pump).

Nah, you just need selectable feed from multiple magazines. Finicky, but we are talking something being built on the Champions forum. Presumably reality and common sense can be bent a little.

I'd envision a box magazine that was four shells wide and six shells high (!). Sounds extreme, but there are real shotguns out there with 30 round drum feeds...

On 1/7/2018 at 2:36 PM, steriaca said:

Don't forget, the Multipower can have Charges AND each slot can have Charges

To clarify, the Charges on the Multipower itself reflects the total number of shots, period. The slots charges is how many times that slot can be fired. Note: this makes sense only if you have a few slots without charges. For example, Mister Gun's gun has 60 charges total. He always has 10 shells filled with knockout gas, and the rest of the slots he varies the loads on a case by case basics.

On 29.12.2017 at 9:59 PM, steriaca said:

So if I understood right. Cost is 50 points (real points?). So this works that player has 4 clips with 8 charges each total? It certainly needs that, which is the base of this weapon.

Multipower (50 Points) [8c/4 Clips] (-0), OAF: Shotgun (-1)

u) EB 10d6

u) EB 4d6, AE One Hex (+1/2), NND [LS: Self Contained] (+1)

u) EB 6d6, AP (+1/2)

u) EB 6d6, Explosion (+1/2)