Cheesy Acronym Needed - Submergible Structure

BoloOfEarth

I'm looking for an acronym (and associated full name) for a submersible aquatic research station, based on Phil Pauley's Sub-Biosphere 2 design.  The idea (at least in my world) is that it could be towed to a location on the continental shelf, anchored, and begin research work.  Of course, such work could include questionable experiments (safe from prying eyes), and such a location would be perfect for attempted takeover by supervillains, VIPER, etc.  It can house over a hundred researchers, with space for plenty of labs. 

My first inclination was SUB-SEA but I'm not married to that by any stretch, and besides I can't find a decent name to go along with that.  (My latest attempt was Sustainable Universal Bio-Sphere Environment, Aquatic - which feels about as exciting as watching water evaporate.)  As you can tell, I'm not above having a cheesy acronym -- in fact, that would probably suit me best.

I'm placing this in the northern Atlantic Ocean, somewhere along the east coast of the US.  My inclination is for this to be built by a corporation rather than the government, though I haven't yet decided if the corporation would be good (e.g. Defender's Harmon Industries), neutral (Lockley International), or bad (Master Control's Montgomery International).  [The source of the latter two is the 4th edition Corporations book.]

For inspiration, here's what it looks like on the surface:

Phil-Pauley-Subbiosphere2-6.jpg

And here's what it looks like submerged:

phil-pauley-sub-biosphere-2-designboom-0

As a reward, if I choose your acronym and full name for the structure, I'll also find a way to bring your name / online handle in.  (For instance, maybe the structure has a chief researcher with your name, or a dedicated speedboat named after your online handle.  Whatever works best.)

Wow!  Some great suggestions so quickly!

I think the award for sheer cheese goes to:

1 hour ago, mrinku said:

Submersible Portable Laboratory And Science Hub (SPLASH).

While that's not going to be the official name for the place, I think this is what the scientists will lovingly call their home.  And I'm think I'm going to name the chief scientist Dr. Mitsuru Rinku.  (I hope that's acceptable to you, mrinku.)

2 hours ago, Maccabe said:

Sub-Mersible Aquatic Research Team  ??  SMART. Be SMART, join SMART 

Hmmm... Not really a name for the place, but a good acronym for some of the people there.  But let's change it to Special Marine Aquatic Response Team, the security force led by a grizzled veteran named MacCabe.  I'll be practicing my Scottish accent.

1 hour ago, death tribble said:

Atlantic Quantum Underwater Array or AQUA

That sounds like a great name for something they'll be covertly building on the ocean floor.  I'm imagining the villainous possibilities already... 

The submarine assembling this array should have a tribble with flaming eyes painted on its hull, with "Death Tribble" lettered underneath.

46 minutes ago, winterhawk said:

Nautical Environment Research Enterprise (for) Interdisciplinary Discovery NEREID

Ding!  Ding!  Ding!  We have a winner!!!  And this also decides who will be building this structure:  Montgomery International. 

You see, in a past adventure the PCs faced off against the New Aquans, led by a water-controller calling herself Nereid.  She and the other Aquans were scientists and crew on a research ship who discovered a Montgomery Int'l toxic dumping operation.  They got their powers when they were tossed overboard (or in the case of some, trapped in a submersible that was sunk with depth charges) right over the dump site.  Of course, the Aquans have a major mad-on against M.I.  Naming the aquatic structure NEREID is a perfect way for Montgomery to thumb his nose at the Aquans and dare them to make a move against it.  And rest assured, he'll not only have his STRIKE team there to back up the SMART troops, but he'll also hire a mercenary named Wilson "Winter" Hawk, equipping him with powered armor capable of taking on the Aquans deep underwater.  That should make a nice mess for the heroes to find themselves in the middle of.

Many thanks, all!  I'll still look at other submitted acronyms, but barring something spectacular I think the place is named.

21 minutes ago, BoloOfEarth said:

Ding!  Ding!  Ding!  We have a winner!!!  And this also decides who will be building this structure:  Montgomery International. 

You see, in a past adventure the PCs faced off against the New Aquans, led by a water-controller calling herself Nereid.  She and the other Aquans were scientists and crew on a research ship who discovered a Montgomery Int'l toxic dumping operation.  They got their powers when they were tossed overboard (or in the case of some, trapped in a submersible that was sunk with depth charges) right over the dump site.  Of course, the Aquans have a major mad-on against M.I.  Naming the aquatic structure NEREID is a perfect way for Montgomery to thumb his nose at the Aquans and dare them to make a move against it.  And rest assured, he'll not only have his STRIKE team there to back up the SMART troops, but he'll also hire a mercenary named Wilson "Winter" Hawk, equipping him with powered armor capable of taking on the Aquans deep underwater.  That should make a nice mess for the heroes to find themselves in the middle of.

Many thanks, all!  I'll still look at other submitted acronyms, but barring something spectacular I think the place is named.

Glad you liked it and it fits into your game.  Ironically, my handle comes from a powered armored character to begin with.

Well, I have nothing to compare with what's already suggested. A friend of mine has a goofy parody villain agency called CRAB (Covert Revolutionary Attack Brigade), horrifying in their uniforms of blue-gray and burnt umber, led by the malevolent King Crab (Hail CRAB! Cut off one arm and two will grow in its place!) who was basically the Brain (as in Pinky And The). When he needed a name for their undersea base, I immediately proposed the Pelagic Operations Terminal, for CRAB-POT.

(Yes, my friend once worked on a crab boat. It warped him, I think.)

Dean Shomshak

22 hours ago, BoloOfEarth said:

Wow!  Some great suggestions so quickly!

I think the award for sheer cheese goes to:

While that's not going to be the official name for the place, I think this is what the scientists will lovingly call their home.  And I'm think I'm going to name the chief scientist Dr. Mitsuru Rinku.  (I hope that's acceptable to you, mrinku.)

Totally fine :)

Since the winner has already been declared I now feel safe steal.... borrowing this suggestion from the Beverly Hillbilles episode the great Crawdad hunt

Classified Reconnasiance And Weapons- capable Deep sea Amphibious Dredge behold the Crawdad

My go to name for an underwater base is the Aquatica, but I'll have to think of an anacronym.

Aquatic

the q is the problem

On 12/30/2017 at 3:42 PM, mrinku said:

Submersible Portable Laboratory And Science Hub (SPLASH).

May I suggest Habitat, instead of Hub?  It just seems to be something marine biologists or other sea oriented scientists would use and it has a history of use in undersea labs.

12 hours ago, Nothere said:

Since the winner has already been declared I now feel safe steal.... borrowing this suggestion from the Beverly Hillbilles episode the great Crawdad hunt

Classified Reconnasiance And Weapons- capable Deep sea Amphibious Dredge behold the Crawdad

My go to name for an underwater base is the Aquatica, but I'll have to think of an anacronym.

Aquatic

the q is the problem

Query? Quantum? Quest? Qualify? Quick? Quad? Quadratic? Quiet? 

13 hours ago, Nothere said:

Aquatic

the q is the problem

Answering Questions Underwater About Tides & Interchanging Currents of the Atlantic

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary asks, what's that mean?

1 hour ago, Lucius said:

Answering Questions Underwater About Tides & Interchanging Currents of the Atlantic

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary asks, what's that mean?

The ampersand bugs me. Try this refinement:

Answering Questions Undwerwater About Tidal Interface Concerns - Atlantic.

Relevant to the whole thread:

"And what does that mean to you?"

"That some really wanted our name to spell..."

14 hours ago, mrinku said:

"And what does that mean to you?"

"That some really wanted our name to spell..."

Yep.  One of my favorite bits from Agents of SHIELD. 

And given the ongoing animosity between Montgomery International and the Aquans (the latter group having killed crewmen and sunk ships belonging to the former), I can see Randall Montgomery asking his people to come up with a name to match the acronym NEREID, especially since he can be assured Nereid and the Aquans would already make a move against any aquatic research facility that MI operates.  Hey, at least it's (slightly) less obvious than Total Research Aquatic Project (TRAP).