Space Opera setting - Orion's Spear

Doc Shadow

Orion's Spear

The Future is what you make it someone once said. This then is the story of a future that I have made. It began as something to do when I was working as a security guard, a brief and entirely forgettable period of my life some 35+ years ago. My presence was completely unnecessary and I was only there to get the company's insurance rates lowered. There was absolutely nothing for me to do so I just sat unobtrusively at my desk, took out my notebook and started to write. I wrote about quite a number of things, most of them totally forgettable, but there were two stories that took on a life of there own so to speak.

Both were written in the form of a timeline of important events, one was the monthly history of the worlds first lunar mining operation. That history found its way into one of my old Champions characters background where it fit quite well. The other was the story of the first war fought in space against alien invaders. That war was heavily influenced by the "island-hopping" campaign used by the US in the Pacific during the Second World War. Intellectually I realize the major mistake that I made in having the planets line up in a nice and "relatively" straight line between Earth and the enemy home system. I could go back and change it but you know I've grown rather fond of the story the way it is. And in spite of it's imperfections I think it holds together quite well.

As time went by I went to work on other things including a nice timeline setting for a system-based sci-fi campaign I wanted to run. The campaign never got off the ground but I liked the history enough to write a bridge linking it to the start of my old war history, thereby creating a much longer storyline. In fact I was so engaged when the news of the Challenger Disaster broke, but that's another story. I was quite taken with that story and put quite a bit into it. Even going so far as to design the starships and trying to build a game out of it. I wasn't able to do anything with it and eventually it was set aside. Put into a folder in a game box and all but forgotten.

Years followed and I found myself in another game group playing in an extremely well run Champions campaign. This was the world in which you would find the character of Centurion, some of whose exploits I had written about in another thread and the write-up for whom is somewhere in the Champions forum. I had a yen to try my hand at running again, I hadn't in a number of years, and asked our Champions GM if I could link the history of his campaign world to my future history. He thought this was a fine idea and I set about it straight away.

Well to make a long story short, this campaign also fizzled. One player torpedoed it, the same one who torpedoed everything I came up with until I finally had had enough and said the hell with this and walked out years ago. Leaving in the middle of a session never to return. Eventually even the GM left, he got sick of two know-it-alls telling him how to run his game so he packed up his stuff and left. But that's neither here nor there. The point is that I had wonderful campaign background just waiting for a game to use it with.

Several years later I found the game, at least as far as a tactical ship to ship combat was concerned. I'm still looking for a good ground combat game based around the regiment as the smallest unit. That ship to ship game was FULL THRUST. What follows is the campaign that I came up with. It tells the story of the Sol - Ceti War of 2106 - 2110. This story has been more than 20 years in the making, I hope you enjoy it.

The rules for Full Thrust are a free download at the game's website here's the link 

Timeline of the Union of Solar Planets

1969 --- Man walks on the Moon. Apollo 11 transports astronauts Neil Armstrong, Buzz Aldrin, and Mike Collins to the moon where Armstrong and Aldrin touch down on the lunar surface on July 20th.

1981 --- The Space Shuttle Orbiter is operational.

1986 --- Challenger Disaster, NASA is brought under intense scrutiny.

1987 --- NASA is dismantled and replaced with a cabinet level agency: the Department of Space Exploration and Development

1989 --- Civil unrest in China sparks the Sino-Russian War. Panic at the possibility of a nuclear exchange grips the world.

1990 --- The Sino-Russian war ends with the Soviet Union’s capture of two northern Chinese provinces. Nuclear weapons have not been used.

1993 --- DSED completes construction of Freedom, the world’s first permanent manned space station with a crew of 25 Astronaut/Scientists.

1995 --- The first American Laser Star defense satellite is operational.

1996 --- OPEC collapses when Professor Hiro Ozikawa develops a safe and inexpensive Hydrox Turbine engine.

1999 --- First Powersat comes on line.

2001 --- The Soviet Union constructs Breznev Station on the moon.

2003 --- USSR secretly arms Breznev Station with Surface-to-Orbit Missiles (SOM).

2004 --- DSED and the European Space Agency jointly construct Goddard City on the moon, a large-scale Scientific/Industrial Complex manned by 2,000 Scientists, Engineers, and Support Personnel.

2005 --- The U.S. Space Defense System is fully operational. However, designed to defend the U.S. from an Earth-launched attack, the system is ill prepared for what the Soviets have planned.

2006 --- USSR begins arming Breznev Station with Luna-to-Earth Nuclear Missiles.

--- The U.S. begins to dismantle the majority of its nuclear arsenal.

2007 --- The U.S. opens the Clavius mines.

--- USSR secretly constructs Stalin Station a large Military Complex at the Lunar north pole, defended by 20 SOM batteries and equipped with Luna-to-Earth Missile launchers. 500 Nuclear Missiles are stockpiled.

2011 --- The American Nuclear Arsenal consists of a mere 100 ICBMs onboard 5 Trident Missile submarines. 

2012 --- The USSR begins the Third World War with a first strike from Breznev  Station which destroys the U.S. Space Defense System. The American retaliation destroys what the U.S. believes to be the remaining Russian nuclear missile force. China fires her nuclear arsenal at Soviet military bases along the Sino-Russian border. NATO looses medium and intermediate range ballistic missiles at large troop concentrations in Western Russia and the Warsaw Pact. The USSR launches retaliatory strikes from Stalin Station against China, NATO, and the U.S., over 600 million are killed in the attacks, within 6 months the death toll will reach over 2 billion.

--- Soviet troops from Breznev Station occupy the Lunar bases, however sabotage puts the nuclear missile launchers out of action, for this all the lunar security personnel are executed.

--- Germany is overrun by Pact forces. The Articles of Alliance are signed between the U.S., England, Ireland, France, Canada, Italy, Greece, Turkey, Australia, China, Japan, and Austria. The Alliance of Free States (AFS) vow to fight the Soviets together. It is the beginning of a long and costly war.

2013 --- Using the war against Russia and the Warsaw Pact as an excuse, old enemies tear at each other with renewed fury. Civil war breaks out in India as the Sikhs strive for dominance. Holy war erupts in the Middle East as Arab nations attack Israel. Argentina attacks Brazil igniting a war that will sweep through all of South and Central America. Race war breaks out in South Africa, and general fighting erupts in Southeast Asia.

--- The AFS launches a fleet of 30 Trans Lunar Space Vessels with a full battalion of elite troops aboard in an attempt to capture Stalin Station. However the station’s surface-to-orbit missile batteries destroy it before it lands.

--- Pact forces thrust deep into France capturing and then destroying Paris with a nuclear warhead. Stalin Station's missile launchers are once again operational. 294 nuclear missiles remain in the station's stockpile.

2014 --- A large force of Japanese and Chinese troops attack along the Soviet southeastern border. It is obliterated by 3 missiles from Stalin Station.

--- The US re-commissions 3 old Polaris missile submarines.

--- The colony ship Neil Armstrong operated by a skeleton crew is crashed into Stalin Station. The Soviet nuclear force is eliminated. Alliance armies strike with renewed zeal and retake France.

--- Throughout the world the war slows down into a war of attrition.

2015 --- Soviet Hunter/Killer groups track down and destroy the US Polaris Force.

--- AFS armies thrust into Romania.

2016 --- Alliance armies from France and Romania converge on and liberate western Germany.

--- Race war in South Africa ends with the Treaty of Johannesburg.

2017 --- A biological weapon unleashed during the Arab-Israeli Holy War sweeps across the Middle East. Millions are infected and die horribly. Each side blames the other and launches retaliatory attacks that merely spread the plague faster.

--- Spain, under Soviet pressure, attacks France. French, Greek, and Italian forces are withdrawn from Germany to repulse the Spanish.

--- A Chinese/Japanese assault from the Southeast forces the Soviets to re-deploy forces from the Western front to meet the new threat.

2018 --- A strong Australian army lands in the Soviet eastern province of Yakutsk and links up with the Sino-Japanese armies in the south.

--- In America, the Brazilians and their allies defeat an Argentine army group in a major campaign, and then pour forces through the gap in the Argentine defenses.

--- Eastern Germany comes under Alliance control.

--- As the plague begins to spread across the globe the nuclear powers have no choice but to use nuclear weapons to destroy it. The Middle East is effectively rendered a radioactive wasteland.

2019 --- Argentina surrenders to Brazil ending the war in South and Central America.

--- The Lunar base inhabitants successfully revolt against their Soviet captors, then attack and capture Breznev Station. The Soviet battalion at the Clavius Mines escape into deep space in several refurbished Interplanetary Space Vessels.

--- Alliance armies with a joint British/Irish spearhead thrust through Poland and into Western Russia.

--- India, backed into a corner, uses her only two remaining nuclear bombs to destroy the major Sikh forces as they gather for a final assault ending the Indian Civil War.

2020 --- Spain surrenders to the French, Italian, and Greek forces.

--- Alliance army groups from the southeast roll through the Soviet eastern provinces. Meanwhile AFS forces from Europe continue to thrust toward Moscow.

--- A joint U.S./Canadian Invasion force lands in the Soviet northern provinces capturing the Oil fields in Kola and Siberia.

--- The USSR surrenders unconditionally to the Alliance of Free States ending the Third World War. This long, hard struggle has had devastating results: the Earth is in ruins, there is widespread starvation and disease, an incalculable amount of knowledge and resources have been lost, radioactive hot spots have poisoned large tracts of land, and over two-thirds of the Earth's population is dead.

2021 --- Mankind is unified with the ratification of the United Earth Declaration. Planet wide vote elects the first United Earth Council. War is declared illegal as a means of resolving disputes. Individual nations retain control over their internal concerns, international matters however are completely the jurisdiction of the United Earth Council and the World Grand Assembly.

--- The Soviet Union opts for a Constitutional Monarchy as it's new government. Paul Romanov becomes the Czar Paul; his ascendance is greeted favorably by the Russian Peoples and the World at large.

2022 --- Jonathan Kidde of the United Kingdom is elected the first President of the United Earth Council.

--- A study by the World Science League shows conclusively that the Earth is not capable of supporting mankind's population of 2 billion.

2023 --- President Kidde signs the Space Colonization Act (Sometimes called the Abandon Ship Act) into law. This diverts nearly 70% of the GWP into the space colony programs.

2027 --- Goddard City expansion has reached out across large tracts of the lunar surface.
            Population reaches 4 million.

2029 --- 4 O'Niell-type Space Colonies are operational, each houses 150,000.

2034 --- Heartland, a massive space colony devoted exclusively to agriculture, becomes
            operational, it provides fully 12% of the food for the hungry of Earth.

2038 --- The Martian Terraforming Project begins.

2041 --- The first 100,000 colonists arrive on Mars.

2046 --- Colonization of the Asteroid Belt begins.

2049 --- Heartland II is operational.

2050 --- Space census 280 million+ now reside in space.

2052 --- Asteropolis, the capital city of the Asteroid Belt is founded on Ceres.

2056 --- The Martian Terraforming Project is completed.

2057 --- The colonization of the outer planets begins with the founding of the Callisto Agri-Colony.

2064 --- Professor Gideon Lawrence makes a major breakthrough that results in a reactionless drive: the Gravitic Thruster Plate, this is an incredible boon to mankind that opens the stars to humanity.

2069 --- Mankind marks the 100th anniversary of the first lunar landing.

2071 --- Pirating begins to occur in the outer system.

2073 --- Fifty years after the Space Colonization Act was signed 1.4 billion reside in space. Government is re-organized granting autonomy to all proven successful colonies. The Union of Solar Planets is formed, led by the Union Council and the Solar Assembly, and defended by the Solar Union Space Navy and the Union Army.

2074 --- The Venus Terraforming Project begins.

2076 --- The Mercury Mining Colony is founded.

2080 --- The Solar Patrol is formed to combat increased pirate activity in the outer system.

2083 --- The Earth Reclamation Project begins.

2084 --- Dr. Harley Jenner publishes a dissertation on Tachyon-induced Faster-than-Light Drives. The Union Council authorizes the expenditure of 20 billion in Research and Development.

2087 --- The Venus Terraforming Project is abandoned as impractical. This fiasco has cost the Solar Union over 80 billion.

2089 --- The Solar Patrol crushes the pirate cartel formed by the descendants of the Soviets who fled from the Clavius Mines in 2019, and based out of Ariel.

2092 --- The Pluto outpost is established.

2093 --- The Union Army is disbanded in favor of the Solar Corps of Marines, this is a cost-cutting measure originating in the Solar Assembly.

2095 --- The first Tachyon faster-than-light Space Drive is introduced. The Defense Council advises that a new fleet should be built, designed for the new FTL Drive. However the Solar Assembly only appropriates enough money to upgrade the existing ships.

2097 --- Nova Guns, which fire a burst of tachyon-related energy, are introduced. Again only refit money is approved.

2098 --- In a compromise measure The Union Council and Solar Assembly approves the design of new ships utilizing all of the latest technology. However of them only 15 Discovery class Explorers are authorized for construction.

2099 --- Prototypes of the other vessels are authorized. King George VI class Battlestarship, Prometheus class Starcarrier, Horizon class Battle Starcruiser, Vanguard class Heavy Starcruiser, Constellation class Light Starcruiser, Excalibur class Starcorvette, Patton class Stardestroyer, and Paladin class Torpedo Boat.

2101 --- Money is authorized for 8 more Starcarriers.

2104 --- Union Navy Explorers begin to probe the Interstellar void.

2105 --- Exploration missions to five star systems are approved.

--- The Union Star Ship Discovery heads for Tau Ceti.

2106 --- The Discovery is destroyed on arrival at Tau Ceti.

--- The Vrel Entente invades the Solar Union starting the Sol-Ceti War.

Orion's Spear
The Sol-Ceti War of 2106-2110

March 2106 --- The Union Space Navy deep star explorer USS Discovery contacts the Vrel a race from the Tau Ceti system. They are immediately fired upon by Vrel warships. The survey vessel barely has time to dispatch a message drone back to Earth before being destroyed. The Vrel are unable to destroy the drone but use it's course to probe the origin of the "enemy invaders".
     April 2106 --- The Solar Union Defense Council orders an investigation into the warning and institutes a pre-mobilization alert. The Vrel Star Navy's 3rd, 7th, and 9th Battlefleets prepare for the invasion of the "enemy home system".
     May 2106 --- 3rd and 7th Vrel Battlefleets attack. Solar Union's 14th Patrol Squadron is all but obliterated. Units of the 2nd Planetary Assault Fleet land 6 Vrel Infantry and 2 Armored battle forces on Pluto. The 4th Solar Fleet counter-attacks but is driven back to the Neptune orbit.
     June 2106 --- The Vrel's 9th Battlefleet and the rest of the 2nd Planetary Assault Fleet arrive and land 10 Mobile Infantry and 3 Armored Cavalry battle forces. 3 Union Marine Armored Cavalry regiments are landed on Pluto to re-inforce the 4th Corps Mobile Infantry. 7th Solar Fleet sets up a defensive line at Pluto's Moon.

July 2106 --- Plan: Liberty is put into effect by the Solar Union. 3rd, 5th, and 7th Earth Defense Fleets undertake a major counter-offensive isolating a portion of the Vrel invasion force. The Union ships, however, are so heavily outclassed by the Vrel that the results are inconclusive. Raw courage on the part of the Union crews inflict major losses on the Vrel but the cost is equally high. The Vrel mount a major offensive against the Union Marine forces on Pluto.
     August 2106 --- The Vrel offensive eliminates 73% of the Marine garrison on Pluto at a cost of 5 battle forces. 7th Solar Fleet covers the evacuation of Pluto and retreats to Neptune. Vrel Strike Groups begin softening up attacks on the Triton Forward Fleet Base.
     September 2106 --- Union Carrier Groups move up and engage Vrel Strike Groups. When Vrel forces are forced to retreat the High Command orders the 3rd, 5th, and 6th Attack Carrier Fleets to Sol. 9th and 14th Union Carrier Groups are decimated in battle. A raiding force of 5 Vrel Infantry battle forces land on Triton.
     October 2106 --- The 5th and 6th Corps of the Union Marines ( 9 regiments each ) are ordered to Triton. Vrel raiding force is destroyed. The Vrel land 12 Mobile Infantry and 4 Armored battle forces on Ariel in a surprise attack, the 2 regiment Marine Garrison is taken completely by surprise.
     November 2106 --- Ariel captured by Vrel forces, 3rd Battlefleet enters orbit around Ariel. The Vrel launch the second invasion of Triton with forces from Pluto and Ariel. Union forces abandon Triton and form the 4th and 7th Solar Fleets, 12th Union Carrier Group, and 5th and 7th Earth Defense Fleets into a single strong defensive line at Saturn.
     December 2106 --- Vrel BattleGroups attack the Saturn line but are driven off. A stalemate develops as the Vrel High Command cannot launch another major offensive for awhile and the Union Defense Council can't risk its few Space Fleets. An intense military build-up begins in the Solar Union as the new modern starships begin to come off the ways in increasing numbers, and further Vrel forces are ordered to Sol.

January 2107 --- The military build-up continues, the Vrel establish a base on Miranda and begin preparations for an assault on Hyperion. The Union 3rd and 10th Carrier groups are operational using the new designs, as are the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd Task Groups.
     February 2107 --- The Vrel 5th and 8th Battlefleets arrive at Triton. The Solar Union's 7th, 8th, and 9th Battle Groups and the 1st Union Fleet are operational. The Vrel 4th Planetary Assault Fleet, and 3rd and 8th Battlefleets mount an assault on Hyperion.
     March 2107 --- A Vrel major offensive succeeds in breaking through the Saturn Defense Line with heavy losses on both sides. 9 Vrel Mobile Infantry and 1 Armored Cavalry battle forces are landed on Hyperion, the Union garrison is wiped out in a lightning attack, the Vrell gain control over Hyperion. The Solar Union Defense Council decides not to commit the Union Fleets to the war until a sufficiently large force has been built up, the Navy must hold the line without them.
     April 2107 --- The Vrel 1st, 2nd, and 8th Fast Carrier Strike Groups begin a softening up bombing of Rhea. Union 12th and 14th Strike Groups are operational, Union 9th Corps of Armored Cavalry ( 9 regiments ) is sent to Rhea in anticipation of a Vrel landing. Solar Union Attack Squadrons begin to decimate Vrel Supply Convoys.
     May 2107 --- Union 3rd Battle Group engages the Vrel 8th Fast Carrier Strike Group forcing it to retreat, however major losses are inflicted on both sides. The Vrel High Command launches an immediate counter-offensive, 7th and 3rd Battlefleets attack and destroy the Union 1st and 3rd Task Groups.
     June 2107 --- The Vrel land 12 Mobile Infantry, 3 Armored, and 1 Armored Cavalry battle forces on Rhea. Heavy Vrel losses are suffered in the initial landings none the less a strong beachhead is established. The Vrel respond to the Union Attack Squadrons by deploying stealth equipped Hunter Squadrons.
     July 2107 --- The Vrel landing force is re-inforced by 9 Infantry, 3 Armored Cavalry, and 2 Rocket Artillery battle forces. 5 Union Infantry and 4 Armored Cavalry regiments are wiped out. The Vrel 7th and 8th Battlefleets blockade Rhea, cutting off Union troops.
     August 2107 --- The Union 3rd Carrier Group and 7th and 8th Battle Groups break through the blockade long enough to evacuate the Union garrison. The Vrel take control of Rhea. The Vrel High Command immediately begins to put Operation: ThunderPunch (Op:TP) into assembly, this major offensive will be the capture of the Titan Main Fleet Base and will require massive naval and ground operations.
     September 2107 --- The Vrel 3rd and 4th Sub-Armies of Infantry ( 16 battle forces each ) are ordered to Triton to prepare for Op:TP as are the 2nd, 11th, and 15th Battlefleets and the 9th Planetary Assault Fleet. Union 7th and 8th Battle Groups enter spacedock, the 12th and 14th Strike Groups and the 9th Solar Fleet are ordered to Titan.
     October 2107 --- The Vrel High Command orders the 4th and 7th Attack Carrier Fleets, 9th, 14th, and 15th Cruiser Strike Groups, and the 7th Sub-Army of Armored Cavalry ( 8 battle forces ) to Rhea. Union Defense Council re-inforces the Titan Garrison with 9 Infantry and 3 Armored regiments.
     November 2107 --- The Vrel 2nd, 7th, 11th, and 15th Battlefleets engage the 4th, 7th, and 9th Solar Fleets the results are inconclusive but losses on both sides are heavy. The Vrel 9th, 14th, and 15th Cruiser Strike Groups move in against the 9th Solar Fleet inflicting extremely high losses. The 4th and 7th Attack Carrier Fleets mount a round-the-clock bombing of Titan.
     December 2107 --- The Union 12th and 14th Strike Groups mount major raids on on Rhea and Hyperion their efforts delay the invasion of Titan, however the 12th Strike Group is destroyed over Rhea. The bombing continues.

January 2108 --- The Union 10th Carrier Group attacks the Vrel 9th Cruiser Strike Group inflicting substantial casualties. The Vrel 4th and 9th Planetary Assault Fleets and 7th and 11th Battlefleets launch Op:TP. 9 Mobile Infantry, 6 Armored, 2 Armored Cavalry, and 2 Rocket Artillery battle forces are landed on Titan. Losses on both Union and Vrel forces are heavy.
     February 2108 --- The Vrel 4th Sub-Army of Infantry ( 15 battle forces ) lands on Titan. 3 Union Armored Cavalry regiments are sent to Titan. Union losses number 10 regiments. The Vrel 11th Battlefleet mounts a heavy bombardment of the Titan Main Fleet Base; major losses are inflicted on units of the 3rd and 12th Carrier Groups.
     March 2108 --- The Vrel 7th Sub-Army Armored Cavalry ( 12 battle forces ) are landed on Titan. The Vrel 7th and 11th Battlefleets, 7th Attack Carrier Fleet, and 9th, 14th, and 15th, Cruiser Strike Groups mount a massive bombing of all Union positions on Titan. Union casualties number almost 80 % of all Titan forces including the 10th Carrier Group and 14th Strike Group.
     April 2108 --- Titan is abandoned by the Solar Union, the 7th, 8th, and 9th Battle Groups and the remaining units of the 3rd and 12th Carrier Groups evacuate all remaining Union forces. The Vrel gain control over Titan. The Solar Union sets up a massive stronghold at Callisto to be protected by the newly operational 11th, 12th, and 13th Heavy Battle Groups, the 14th and 15th Carrier Groups, and the Third Union Army ( 27 regiments ). In effect the Solar Union has drawn a line in the sand of Callisto saying " This far, and no further! ", the Navy, Army, and Marines vow that Callisto will not be taken.
     May 2108 --- The Vrel 14th and 18th Battlefleets arrive at Europa and land a small sub-army sized garrison. Plans are made in the Vrel High Command for Operation: Groin-Kick ( Op:GK ), the taking of the massive hydroponics farms on Callisto which supply 60 % of the Solar Union's food. The 2nd Union Fleet is operational, the 4th, 5th, and 7th Corps ( 10 regiments each ) of the Union Marines prepare for a counter-offensive.
     June 2108 --- The Vrel 18th and 19th Battlefleets arrive at Titan as well as 18 Mobile Infantry, 27 Armored Cavalry, and 4 Rocket Artillery battle forces, bringing their ground force up to near over-army strength. The Solar Union's 14th and 15th Heavy Battle Groups are operational, the Second Union Army ( 29 regiments ) is sent to Callisto.
     July 2108 --- The Vrel send 16 battle forces of Mobile Infantry to Rhea. The Union 1st Assault Fleet is operational. The Solar Union Defense Council drafts the four phase Operation: Alpha-Omega ( OP:Ά-Ώ ). Phase One - The Stand begins assembly on Callisto. The 3rd Union Fleet becomes operational. Union Cruiser Squadrons take up position orbiting Callisto.
     August 2108 --- The Vrel launch Op:GK, the 14th, 18th, and 19th Battlefleets move into Callisto orbit meeting resistance that is lighter than expected. The Vrel land a large sub-army strength force of 24 Infantry, 18 Mobile Infantry, 21 Armored Cavalry, 4 Rocket Artillery, and 2 Airborne Assault battle forces. Union Armored Cavalry regiments attack and fallback along a pre-arranged route, slowly, carefully herding the Vrel forces toward "The Stand".
     September 2108 --- The Second and Third Union Armies, and 4th, 5th, and 7th Corps of the Union Marines ( 86 regiments strong ) make a three-pronged attack on the Vrel landing force which is completely wiped out. In orbit the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd Union Fleets move in and engage the Vrel 14th, 18th, and 19th Battlefleets. The Vrel 18th Battlefleet is obliterated, the 14th, 19th, and the re-inforcing 20th Battlefleets are badly mauled. Over 70 Vrel warships are destroyed in the Battle of Callisto. The Vrel forces retreat to Europa.
     October 2108 --- The 1st Union Fleet, 14th and 15th Carrier Groups, and 12th, 13th, and 15th Heavy Battle Groups mount a bombardment of Vrel positions on Europa. The First Union Army ( 30 regiments ) is landed, Europa is taken in a matter of days, almost all Vrel forces are captured.
     November 2108 --- The Vrel High Command launches Operation: Save-Face. The Vrel 7th and 11th Battlefleets, 4th and 7th Attack Carrier Fleets, and 9th, 14th, and 15th Cruiser Strike Groups try to mount a bombardment of the Callisto hydroponics farms. However they are intercepted near Ganymede by the 2nd and 3rd Union Fleets and destroyed. Phase One completed.
     December 2108 --- OP:Ά-Ώ Phase Two - The Mark begins assembly. The Fourth Union Army ( 30 regiments ) and 1st Assault Fleet are sent to Callisto. The Union's 11th, 12th, and 13th Carrier Groups are operational. The Vrel High Command orders the utmost vigilance at Titan, Rhea, and Hyperion marking them as the Union's most likely targets.

January 2109 --- The Union 11th and 12th Heavy Battle Groups mount a feinting assault on Ariel. The Vrel High Command transfers the 4th Sub-Army Infantry and 7th Sub-Army Armored Cavalry from Titan to Ariel. The Union Battle Groups withdraw from Ariel.
     February 2109 --- The 1st Assault Fleet launches a major offensive at Titan, the Fourth Union Army is landed. The 13th, 14th and 15th Union Carrier Groups mount a heavy bombing of Vrel positions on Titan. The Vrel 9th Planetary Assault Fleet ( returning the 4th and 7th Sub-Armies to Titan ) is intercepted by the 41st, 73rd, 88th, 102nd, and 139th Attack Squadrons and destroyed. The Titan Main Fleet Base is back in Union hands.
     March 2109 --- The Vrel resistance collapses, Solar Union gains control of Titan. The 2nd Union Fleet, 3rd and 12th Carrier Groups, and 15th and 17th Heavy Battle Groups mount a massive bombardment of the Vrel forces on Rhea. The Vrel High Command orders Rhea and Hyperion abandoned. 18 Infantry and 9 Armored Cavalry battle forces are transferred to Ariel. Union forces take control of Rhea and Hyperion. Phase Two completed.
     April 2109 --- OP:Ά-Ώ Phase Three - The Push begins assembly. The 4th Union Fleet is operational. The 1st and 3rd Union Fleets prepare for an assault on Miranda and Ariel. The Vrel 21st and 22nd Battlefleets, 9th Attack Carrier Fleet, and 17th, 18th, and 19th Cruiser Strike Groups arrive at Pluto.
     May 2109 --- The Vrel 9th Attack Carrier Fleet mounts a raid on Europa. The Union 15th Heavy Battle Group meets it and heavy losses are inflicted on both sides until the 2nd Union Fleet moves in and obliterates the 9th Attack Carrier Fleet.
     June 2109 --- The 1st and 3rd Union Fleets mount simultaneous assaults on Miranda and Ariel. The 1st Assault Fleet lands the Fourth Union Army on Ariel; heavy losses are suffered by the Union landing force. 9th, 10th and 11th Assault Task Forces land 15 Infantry, 9 Armored Cavalry, and 1 Airborne Assault regiments on Miranda. The Vrel garrison surrenders and Miranda comes under Union control. Union 2nd Assault Fleet operational,
     July 2109 --- The 5th, 6th, and 7th Corps ( 10 regiments each ) of Union Marines re-inforce the Fourth Union Army on Ariel. 3rd Union Fleet blockades Ariel while the 12th and 15th Heavy Battle Groups mount an intensive bombardment of all Vrel positions. The Vrel forces are wiped out by crack Union troops, Ariel is back in Union hands.
     August 2109 --- the retreating Vrel forces abandon Triton. The Vrel 21st and 22nd Battlefleets, 4th Planetary Assault Fleet, 10th and 11th Light Strike Groups, and 17th, 18th, and 19th Cruiser Strike Groups form a defensive perimeter at Pluto. The Vrel battle forces at Pluto dig in for a prolonged campaign. Triton under Union control.
     September 2109 --- The Solar Union's Triton Forward Fleet Base is fully operational as are the 10th and 11th Solar Fleets, 1st Earth Defense Fleet, and 3rd Assault Fleet. The 4th Corps of Union Marines ( 9 regiments ) garrison the Triton complex.  The 13th, 14th, and 15th Carrier Groups mount a major raid on Pluto they are able to destroy the Vrel 17th and 19th Cruiser Strike Groups on the ground, however the 21st and 22nd Battlefleets severely maul the 13th Carrier Group.
     October 2109 --- The 3rd Union Fleet, 10th and 11th Solar Fleets, and 12th Heavy Battle Group mount a massive attack on Pluto. The 21st and 22nd Vrel Battlefleets are smashed as is the 4th Planetary Assault Fleet. The 12th, 14th, and 15th Carrier Groups move up and mount an intense 72 hour bombing of all Vrel forces. The 1st and 2nd Assault Fleets land the Second and Fourth Union Armies. Blasted out of their prepared positions and caught in a pincer attack the Vrel surrender.
     November 2109 --- The 5th Union Fleet is operational. Phase Three completed. OP:Ά-Ώ Phase Four - The Cetian Finale begins assembly.
     December 2109 --- The 4th Assault Fleet is operational. The Solar Union Defense Council begins to assemble the UNION ARMADA; the mightiest war fleet ever built or even conceived by the mind of man.

January 2110 --- Consisting of 5 Union Fleets, 5 Carrier Groups, 12 Battle Groups, and 2 Assault Fleets carrying 2 Union Armies ( 70 regiments ), the UNION ARMADA warps out for Tau Ceti.
     March 2110 --- Coming in from high over the ellipse of the system the UNION ARMADA is able to bypass the bulk of the Vrel defenses. Smashing their way through the inner defenses to Tau Ceti A III, the Vrel Homeworld, the ARMADA mounts a massive, but surgically precise bombardment of all Vrel military installations followed by a landing of the 1st and 3rd Union Armies. As the Armies mop-up pockets of resistance the ARMADA turns it's guns outward holding off the remainder of the Vrel Star Navy, While a Solar Union negotiating team goes to work on the Vrel Government.
     April 2110 --- Cut off from their Navy and faced with the ARMADA over their heads, the Vrel High Command surrenders unconditionally to the Union of Solar Planets. As the word goes out weary soldiers lay down their arms.
     May 2110 --- The Entente's military leaders are removed from power and younger, less militant, more sensible men are installed in office. These new leaders help to pave the way to an end to the wartime hostility and the beginning of peaceful relations between the Solar Union and the new Vrel Republic.
     June 2110 --- As an accounting of forces is made it is discovered that a substantial portion of the Vrel Home Fleet did not surrender but instead warped out into deep space. There is little doubt that these renegades will be causing trouble in the future.

Postscript     May 2118 --- The last Union Occupation Troops leave Tau Ceti.

Background and Game Mechanics

What you'll find here is some of the campaign background material needed or just useful in the running of adventures and combat scenarios set in the Orion's Spear universe. Also Orion's Spear runs on some slightly different game mechanics, those differences are noted and explained here.

First of all with regard to fighters. The squadrons in Orion's Spear are larger than the standard ones in FULL THRUST. Here is a table to explain.

Symbol

Unit Size

Commander

Strength

/

Element

2nd Lt. or 1st Lt.

2 planes (leader and wingman)

//

Lance

1st Lt. or Capt.

4 planes (2 Elements)

///

Squadron

Capt. or Maj.

12 planes (3 Lances)

>

Wing

Maj. or Lt. Col.

36 planes (3 Squadrons)

>>

Group

Lt.Col. or Col.

108 planes (3 Wings)

>>>

Air Division

Col. or Brig. Gen.

324 planes (3 Groups)

}

Air Fleet

Brig. Gen. or Maj. Gen.

972 planes (3 Air Divisions)

}}

Aerospace Force

Maj. Gen. or Lt. Gen.

2,916+ planes (3 or more Air Fleets)

Feel free to substitute the appropriate Naval rank as needed.

The next part involves some of the technology behind the scenes as we discuss Reactors, Engines and Fuels.

Reactors
    Early Fission - First developed in the mid 20th Century, these reactors used heat from a fission reaction to boil water into steam which turned a turbine to generate electricity. A Tech Level 7-8 system only used in obsolete equipment.
    Modern Fission - First developed in the early 21st Century, they generate electricity directly from the heat of the fissioning materials by using super-conducting wire. A Tech Level 8+ system most commonly used by civilians and as a secondary system by the Navy.
    Fusion - First developed in the late 21st Century, fusion reactors generate electricity via thermal conversion of heat created by Hydrogen to Helium fusion reactions. What civilian systems are available use the simpler laser-fired reactors, while the military makes use of the more complex but more powerful plasma-induced reactions. Both varients are solidly Tech Level 9 and the most advanced power generation systems available.

Fuels (only required by reaction engines)
    Liquid Hydrogen - Very cheap, widely available, but bulky. First used in the late 20th Century, the 22nd century equivalent to regular gas. Acceleration rates of up to 1 G. maximum sustained.
    Compressed Hydrogen Tablets - First developed in the early 21st Century they revolutionized space flight. Each 10 kilogram tablet contains 100 gallons of standard frozen Liquid Hydrogen propellant in a hyper-concentrated form and thermal sealed to remain that way. When the Therma-Seal is lasered away the tablet expands into ordinary Liquid Hydrogen.
    Cadmium - An expensive fuel but worth it, Cadmium has a high density, low boiling point and low mass. It produces an extremely high velocity exhaust and is the only reaction fuel able to sustain 2 G. acceleration rates. Cadmium was first used in the mid 21st Century, it is the 22nd Century equivalent to super-high octane racing gas.

Engines
    Reaction Engines
             Amjet series - A fission reactor core with liquid hydrogen fuel, first developed in the late 20th Century.
          Turbostar series - A fission reactor core with cadmium fuel, first developed in the mid 21st Century.
          Nova series - A fusion reactor core with cadmium or liquid Hydrogen fuel, first developed in the late 21st Century.
    Reactionless Engines
          Geestar series - the Gravitic Thruster Plate, invented in the mid 21st Century but not developed for almost 20 yrs.
          Starjet series - The Tachyon FTL drive, first developed in the late 21st Century.

When using reaction engines one point of fuel is expended for each point of thrust generated. This does not apply to reactionless engines.

Range and Game Turns The standard measuring unit equals 1000 km and the standard game turn equals 5 minutes.

Stealth Ships and Sensors
    Sensors - Passive Sensors can identify a contact's category (i.e. escort, cruiser, etc.) at a range of 360,000 kilometers, they can pick up a contact at 3,600,000 km.. Active Sensors can pick up a contact at 6,000,000 km, and identify category at 570,000 km. However active sensors will allow the enemy to identify them to a similar extent. Enhanced Sensors increase the scanning ranges by 25%, and Superior Sensors by 50%. If a target ship is in a powered down state (i.e. all non-essential systems shut down, powerplant at minimum output, engines shut down) all ranges are reduced to 10 % of normal.

Stealth Ships - All Stealth vessels include a Towed Sensor Array (TSA) to allow them to see outside their cloaking fields. A TSA can only be spotted at extremely close ranges. If the TSA is using Active sensors then it is spotted at a range of 100,000 km at greater ranges it is impossible to fix the TSA's position and all the opponent will know is general bearing. If on the other hand the TSA is using Passive Sensors the range drops sharply. A TSA using passive sensors can be spotted at a maximum range of 16,000 km. To do so roll a single D6 and consult the table below.

Range

Roll to spot

15 - 16,000 km

13 - 14,000 km

1 - 2

11 - 12,000 km

1 - 3

8 - 10,000 km

1 - 4

5 - 7,000 km

1 - 5

less than 5,000 km

automatically spotted

Once the TSA has been spotted opposing ships may fire at the Stealth Ship. This is done by rolling 1 D6 per battery firing. On a 1 - 4 your salvo is too far away to hit, on a 5 - 6 you have managed to straddle the target. All batteries that straddle the target then roll for damage normally. If contact with the TSA is lost the stealth ship may no longer be fired upon.

Moving while Cloaked
         When the TSA is deployed a Stealth Ship is manuevered normally just as all other ships are. When the TSA is retracted the stealth ship must write orders for however many turns he wishes to keep his TSA retracted. When he runs out of orders he must do one of the following three things: a.) Drop Cloak, b.) Deploy the TSA or c.) move straight ahead at his current velocity.

Naval Bases
       There are five different types of bases available in Orion's Spear. From smallest to largest they are as follows:
         Outposts - Outposts are small bases with a complement of about 2,700 including a regiment sized Garrison force and a single Fighter Group. A Commodore or Brigadier General's command.
         Support Bases - Support Bases are intended to support operations over a fairly wide area and serve as a supplement to the larger bases. They have a sizable complement of over 10,000 including a brigade or sometimes division sized Marine Garrison and a Wing of fighters. Usually commanded by a Rear Admiral or a Marine Corps Major General.
         Forward Fleet Bases - Forward Fleet Bases are designed to provide repair, command and intelligence facilities for a broad area on or near the forward areas of a conflict. They contain a complement of more than 15,000 including a division level Marine Garrison and a large Wing of fighters. Commanded by a Vice Admiral.
         Main Fleet Bases - Main Fleet Bases are some of the largest facilities in the Solar Union, designed to provide Command and Control functions over a vast area of space or to provide extensive support services. The crew complement numbers in excess of 20,000 including a division level Marine Garrison or greater as well as an Air Division of fightercraft. Commanded by a full Admiral.
          Main Fleet Yards - Although primarily used for Starship construction the three Main Fleet Yards on Earth, Mars and Asteropolis have considerable command facilities and are of course heavily defended as well with a Division level Marine Garrison and a number of fighter wings. In addition there are training facilities nearby which bolster these levels. The military personel assigned to the Yards number aproximately 17,000 but to this number is added close to 25,000 civilian workers. The Yards are under the command of an officer of at least Vice Admirals rank.

Ranks and Pay Grades in the Armed Forces of the Solar Union

Grade

Solar Union Space Navy

Solar Corps of Marines

Solar Union Army

Pay Rate (monthly)

E1

Recruit

Private

Private

Cr. 52.50

E2

Spacehand 2nd Cl.

Private 1st Cl.

Private

Cr. 52.50

E3

Spacehand 1st Cl.

Lance Corporal

Private 1st Cl.

Cr. 69.30

E4

Petty Officer 3rd Cl.

Corporal

Corporal

Cr. 81.90

E5

Petty Officer 2nd Cl.

Sergeant

Sergeant

Cr. 100.80

E6

Petty Officer 1st Cl.

Staff Sergeant

Staff Sergeant

Cr.115.70

E7

Chf. Petty Officer

Gunnery Sergeant

Sergeant 1st Cl.

Cr. 128.40

E8

Senior CPO

Master Sergeant

Master Sergeant

Cr. 136.70

E9

Master CPO

Sergeant Major

Staff Sgt.-Major

Cr. 148.90

WO1

Warrant Officer

Warrant Officer

Warrant Officer

Cr.150.00

WO2

Sr. Warrant Officer

Sr. Warrant Officer

Sr. Warrant Officer

Cr.150.00

WO3

Master Warrant Officer

Master Warrant Officer

Master Warrant Officer

Cr.150.00

O1

Ensign

2nd. Lieutenant

2nd Lieutenant

Cr. 157.50

O2

Lieut. junior grade

1st Lieutenant

1st Lieutenant

Cr. 175.00

O3

Lieut. senior grade

Captain

Captain

Cr.210.00

O4

Lieut. Commander

Major

Major

Cr. 287.50

O5

Commander

Lieut. Colonel

Lieut. Colonel

Cr. 335.42

O6

Captain

Colonel

Colonel

Cr. 383.33

O7

Commodore

Brigadier General

Brigadier

Cr. 500.00

O8

Rear Admiral

Major General

Major General

Cr. 585.00

O9

Vice Admiral

Lieut. General

Lieut. General

Cr. 666.00

O10

Admiral

General

General

Cr. 745.50

O11

Admiral of the Fleet

Commandant-Gen.

Field Marshal

Cr. 900.00

Combat Pay is assigned to grades E1 - O6 in the amount of 35 Cr. per month, to qualify an individual must have served at least 16 days of the month in a combat zone.
   Flight Pay is assigned to all Pilots and Aircrews who have been assigned to Flight Duty in the amount of Cr. 30 per month.
   Command Pay in the amount of 10% of base pay is assigned to all unit commanders up to the grade of O6. Command Pay is already included in the base pay of General Officers.

Ground Combat Arms
    Infantry- The standard Infantryman of both the Solar Union and the Vrell wears a vacuum-sealed light armor and carries a laser rifle or recoilless rocket rifle. His helmet provides him with enhanced vision and he frequently carries grenades, light anti-armor rockets or anti-aircraft missiles.

Mobile Infantry- These Troopers are equipted with powered armors similar to that used during the Age of Metas. A heavy Plasma Gun is mounted on the right forearm while the left carries a 10-shot Grenade Launcher, a 4-shot pod of long range missiles rides the left shoulder. A full capability sensor system (including an enhanced targeting system) and flight capability completes the package.

Armored Cavalry- Two man light armored vehicles, very fast but lightly armored and carrying only a pair of light Laser Cannons and a single missile launcher. Equipted with an enhanced sensor suite they are excellant scouting units.

Air Cavalry- Two man VTOL ground-support aircraft, extremely fast and highly manueverable but armed with a single light Laser Cannon and hardpoints for considerable missile armaments. A good fast responce unit.

Airborne Assault- A specialized varient of standard Mobile Infantry. These troopers are launched from orbit in a breakaway shell in the manner of old style bullets from a quick-firing gun. These armors replace their missile pods with heavier thrusters.

Armored- Large 5-man Main Battle Tanks equipted with twin turret Heavy Laser Cannons, light and medium autolasers and an 8-shot ATG missile system. Some varients exchange the heavy lasers for Recoilless Cannons. The Spearhead units for any major engagement for over 150 years.

Rocket Artillery- Lightly armored vehicles carrying a calliope-like battery of 10 rocket launchers each with a 6-shot magazine. The rockets are smart weapons which can be programmed for individual targets or pick their own from a list of assigned values. The former is used in conjunction with a forward observer, with the later being used when no F.O. is available.

Make-up of the Solar Union Ground Forces

Symbol

Unit

Commander

Strength

Fireteam

Corporal

3 Soldiers

Squad

Sergeant

10 Soldiers (3 fireteams + CO)

Platoon

Lieutenant

33 Soldiers (3 squads + CO and 2 aides)

I

Company

Captain

102 Soldiers (3 platoons + CO and 2 aides)

II

Battalion

Major

316 Soldiers (3 companies + HQ squad)

III

Regiment

Lieut. Colonel

981 Soldiers (3 battalions + HQ platoon)

X

Brigade

Colonel

1,682 Soldiers (5 battalions + HQ company)

XX

Division

Brigadier General

3,250 Soldiers (3 regiments + HQ battalion)

XXX

Corps

Major General

10,000 Soldiers (3 divisions + HQ regiment)

XXXX

Army

Lieut. General

31,000 Soldiers (3 corps + HQ regiment)

XXXXX

Army Group

General

62,000+ Soldiers (2 or more armies)

Make-up of the Vrel Entente Ground Forces

Symbol

Unit

Commander

Strength

Attack Team

Lancer

5 Soldiers

Strike Team

Sergeant

11 Soldiers (2 attack teams + CO)

Battle Team

Lieutenant

45 Soldiers (4 strike teams + CO)

I

Attack Force

Over  Lieutenant

95 Soldiers (2 battle teams + HQ team)

II

Strike Force

Strike Commander

400 Soldiers (4 attack forces + HQ team)

III

Battle Force

Battle Commander

825 Soldiers (2 strike forces + HQ team)

X

Strike Command

Assualt Commander

1,700 Soldiers (2 battle forces + HQ team)

XX

Battle Command

Over Commander

3,400 Soldiers (4 battle forces + HQ force)

XXX

Sub-Army

Sub General

13,800 Soldiers (4 battle commands + HQ force)

XXXX

Army

General

55,600 Soldiers (4 sub-armies + HQ force)

XXXXX

Over-Army

High General

111,600+ Soldiers (2 or more armies)

Ships of the Union Space Navy

Sub - Light Vessels

Raven class Corvette
Service Details
first commissioned : 2064
currently in service : 36
lost in action : 9
decommissioned/scrapped : 3
under construction : none
procurement cost : 3.2M Cr.

Technical Details
Classification : Sub-light Corvette
Displacement : 9,000 tonnes (mass: 9)
Hull type : Weak (Hull Integrity:2)
Crew : 6 officers, 54 ratings (crew factor: 2)
Armament : 1 x class 1 battery, 2 x submunitions packs
Defenses : 0 Point Defense systems, Level 0 Screens, Grade 1 armor
Sensor Systems : Standard Sensors, 1 fire-control system
Drive Systems : Main Drive rating 4, Fuel Supply 110 units

Stararrow class Destroyer
Service Details
first commissioned : 2059
currently in service : 90
lost in action : 3
decommissioned/scrapped : 2
procurement cost : 4.7M Cr.

Technical Details
Classification : Sub-light Destroyer
Displacement : 13,000 tonnes (mass: 13)
Hull type : Weak (Hull Integrity: 3)
Crew : 13 officers, 107 ratings (crew factor: 3)
Armament : 2 x class 1 batteries, 4 x submunitions packs
Defenses : 0 Point Defense systems, Level 0 Screens, Grade 1 armor
Drive Systems : Main Drive rating 3, Fuel Supply 90 units

Czar Paul class Cruiser
Service Details
first commissioned : 2062
currently in service : 36
lost in action : 1
decommissioned/scrapped : 1
procurement cost : 9.5M Cr.  

Technical Details
Classification : Sub-light Cruiser
Displacement : 26,000 tonnes (mass: 26)
Hull type : Weak (Hull Integrity: 5)
Crew : 26 officers, 234 ratings (crew factor: 5)
Armament : 1 x class 2 battery, 4 x class 1 batteries, 6 x submunitions packs
Defenses : 1 Point Defense systems, Level 0 Screens, Grade 2 armor
Sensor Systems : Standard Sensors, 2 fire-control systems
Drive Systems : Main Drive rating 3, Fuel Supply 90 units
(fire arcs are cl.2 - f )

Arizona class Battleship
Service Details
first commissioned : 2067
currently in service : 18
lost in action : 0
decommissioned/scrapped : 0
procurement cost : 13.8M Cr.

Technical Details
Classification : Sub-light Battleship
Displacement : 40,000 tonnes (mass: 40)
Hull type : Weak (Hull Integrity: 8)
Crew : 57 officers 513 ratings (crew factors: 8)
Armament : 1 x class 3 battery, 8 x class 1 batteries, 6x submunitions packs
Defenses : 2 Point Defense systems, Level 0 Screens, Grade 3 armor
Drive Systems : Main Drive rating 2, Fuel Supply 60 units
(fire arcs are cl.3 - f )

Lexington class Carrier
Service Details
first commissioned : 2054
currently in service : 2
procurement cost : 14.8M Cr.

Technical Details
Classification : Sub-light Carrier
Displacement : 60,000 tonnes (mass: 60)
Hull type : Weak (Hull Integrity: 12)
Crew : 72 officers, 612 ratings, 36 pilots (crew factors 12)
Armament : 2 x class 1 batteries
Defenses : 3 Point Defense systems, Level 0 Screens, Grade 3 armor
Drive Systems : Main Drive rating 2, Fuel Supply 60 units
Hanger Bays : 3 Bays each holding 12 fighters.

Refits

Raven II class Corvette
Service Details
first commissioned : 2098
currently in service : 24
under construction : 36 planned
procurement cost : 6.4M Cr. new, 3.5M Cr. to refit existing

Technical Details
Classification : FTL Corvette
Displacement : 19,000 tonnes (mass: 19)
Hull type : Weak (Hull Integrity: 4)
Crew : 10 officers, 90 ratings (crew factors 3)
Armament : 2 x class 1 batteries, 3 x submunitions packs
Defenses : 0 Point Defense systems, Level 0 Screens, Grade 2 armor
Drive Systems : Main Drive rating 5, FTL (jump) Drive

Stararrow II class Destroyer
Service Details
first commissioned : 2097
currently in service : 60
under construction : 90 planned
procurement cost : 8.6M Cr. new, 4.5M Cr. to refit existing

Technical Details
Classification : FTL Destroyer
Displacement : 25,000 tonnes (mass: 25)
Hull type : Weak (Hull Integrity: 5)
Crew : 18 officers, 162 ratings (crew factors 4)
Armament : 3 x class 1 batteries, 5 x submunitions packs
Defenses : 1 Point Defense systems, Level 0 Screens, Grade 2 armor
Drive Systems : Main Drive rating 4, FTL (jump) Drive

Czar Paul II class Cruiser
Service Details
first commissioned : 2100
under construction : 36 planned
procurement cost : 15.9M Cr. new, 7.1M Cr. to refit existing

Technical Details
Classification : FTL Cruiser
Displacement : 46,000 tonnes (mass: 46)
Hull type : Weak (Hull Integrity: 9)
Crew : 51 officers, 459 ratings (crew factors 8)
Armament : 2 x class 2 batteries, 4 x class 1 batteries, 8 x submunitions packs
Defenses : 1 Point Defense systems, Level 0 Screens, Grade 4 armor
(fire arcs are cl.2 - f )

Arizona II class Battleship
Service Details
first commissioned : 2099
currently in service : 12
under construction : 18 planned
procurement cost : 21.4M Cr. new, 8.3M Cr. to refit existing

Technical Details
Classification : FTL Battleship
Displacement : 62,000 tonnes (mass: 62)
Hull type : Weak (Hull Integrity: 12)
Crew : 78 officers, 702 ratings (crew factors 12)
Armament : 1 x class 3 battery, 2 x class 2 batteries, 8 x class 1 batteries, 8 x submunitions packs
Defenses : 2 Point Defense systems, Level 0 Screens, Grade 6 armor
Drive Systems : Main Drive rating 3, FTL (jump) Drive
(fire arcs are cl. 3 - f, cl.2 - f )

Lexington II class Carrier
Service Details
currently in service : 6
under construction : 2 planned
procurement cost : 33.7M Cr. new, 20.2M Cr. to refit existing

Technical Details
Classification : FTL Carrier
Displacement : 81,000 tonnes (mass: 81)
Hull type : Weak (Hull Integrity: 16)
Crew : 114 officers, 1090 ratings, 36 pilots (crew factors 16)
Defenses : 5 Point Defense systems, 1 Area Defense System, Level 0 Screens, Grade 6 armor
Drive Systems : Main Drive rating 3, FTL (jump) Drive
Hanger Bays : 3 Bays each holding 12 fighters

Modern Vessels

Paladin class Torpedo Boats
Service Details
first commissioned : 2102
currently in service : 1
under construction : 1,400 planned
procurement cost : 5.8M Cr.

Technical Details
Classification : Torpedo Boat
Displacement : 17,000 tonnes (mass: 17)
Hull type : Weak (Hull Integrity: 3)
Crew : 7 officers, 68 ratings (crew factors 2)
Armament : 1 x pulse torpedo tube
Defenses : 1 Point Defense systems, Level 0 Screens, Grade 0 armor
Sensor Systems : Standard Sensors, 1 fire-control systems
Drive Systems : Main Drive rating 7, FTL (jump) Drive
(fire arcs are f )

Discovery class Deep Star Explorer
Service Details
first commissioned : 2099
currently in service : 11
procurement cost : 14.9M Cr.

Technical Details
Classification : Exploration/Scout Vessel
Displacement : 34,000 tonnes (Mass: 34)
Hull type : Average (Hull Integrity: 10)
Crew : 18 officers, 122 ratings (crew factors 3)
Armament : 3 x class 1 batteries
Defenses : 0 Point Defense systems, Level 0 Screens, Grade 3 armor, Individual ECM
Sensor Systems : Superior Sensors, 1 fire-control systems
Drive Systems : Main Drive rating 6, FTL (jump) Drive

Patton class Stardestroyer
Service Details
under construction : 500 planned
procurement cost : 24.2M Cr.

Technical Details
Classification : Stardestroyer
Displacement : 72,000 tonnes (mass: 72)
Hull type : Average (Hull Integrity: 22)
Crew : 26 officers, 234 ratings (crew factors 5)
Armament : 1 x pulse torpedo tube, 1 x class 1 batteries, 2 x submunitions packs
Defenses : 1 Point Defense systems, Level 0 Screens, Grade 6 armor
Sensor Systems : Enhanced Sensors, 2 fire-control systems
(fire arcs are torpedo - f)

Excalibur class Starcorvette
Service Details
first commissioned : 2103
under construction : 350 planned
procurement cost : 30.3M Cr.

Technical Details
Classification : Starcorvette
Displacement : 94,000 tonnes (mass: 94)
Hull type : Average (Hull Integrity: 28)
Crew : 36 officers, 324 ratings (crew factors 6)
Armament : 1 x class 3 battery, 1 x pulse torpedo tube, 3 x class 1 batteries, 2 x submunitions packs
Defenses : 2 Point Defense systems, 1 Area Defense system, Level 0 Screens, Grade 6 armor
Sensor Systems : Standard Sensors, 1 fire-control systems
(fire arcs are f for both torp & cl.3)

Constellation class Light Starcruiser
Service Details
first commissioned : 2101
under construction : 250 planned
procurement cost : 39M Cr.

Technical Details
Classification : Light Starcruiser
Displacement : 113,000 tonnes (mass: 113)
Hull type : Average (Hull Integrity: 34)
Crew : 60 officers, 540 ratings (crew factors 8)
Armament : 1 x class 3 battery, 3 x class 2 batteries, 4 x submunitions packs
Defenses : 3 Point Defense systems, 1 Area Defense system, Level 0 Screens, Grade 11 armor
Sensor Systems : Superior Sensors, 2 fire-control systems
(fire arcs are cl.3 - f, cl. 2 - fp/f/fs )

Vanguard class Heavy Starcruiser
Service Details
under construction : 120 planned
procurement cost : 54.6M Cr.

Technical Details
Classification : Heavy Starcruiser
Displacement : 136,000 tonnes (mass: 136)
Hull type : Average (Hull Integrity: 41)
Crew : 90 officers, 810 ratings (crew factors 14)
Armament : 1 x Wave Gun, 5 x class 2 batteries, 4 x submunitions packs
Defenses : 2 Point Defense systems, 1 Area Defense system, Level 0 Screens, Grade 14 armor
Sensor Systems : Enhanced Sensors, 3 fire-control systems
Drive Systems : Main Drive rating 5, FTL (jump) Drive
(fire arcs are wave - f, 3 x cl.2 fp/f/fs, 1 x cl. 2 fp/ap/a, a x cl.2 fs/as/a)

Horizon class Battle Starcruiser
Service Details
first commissioned : 2103
under construction : 40 planned
procurement cost : 67.4M Cr.

Technical Details
Classification : Battle Starcruiser
Displacement : 190,000 tonnes (mass: 190)
Hull type : Average (Hull Integrity: 57)
Crew : 140 officers, 1,368 ratings, 12 pilots (crew factors 21)
Armament : 1 x Wave Gun, 3 x class 3 batteries, 2 x pulse torpedo tubes
Defenses : 3 Point Defense systems, Level 0 Screens, Grade 17 armor
(fire arcs are wave - f, 2 x cl. 3 ap/fp/f/fs/as, 1 x cl.3 fs/as/a/ap/fp, torpedoes f)
Hanger Bays : 1 Bay holding 12 fighters

King George VI class Battlestarship
Service Details
first commissioned : 2101
under construction : 10 planned
procurement cost : 90.4M Cr.

Technical Details
Classification : Battlestarship
Displacement : 269,000 tonnes (mass: 269)
Hull type : Average (Hull Integrity: 81)
Crew : 196 officers, 1,740, 24 pilots (crew factors 29)
Armament : 2 x Wave Guns, 4 x class 3 batteries
Defenses : 4 Point Defense systems, Level 0 Screens, Grade 25 armor
Hanger Bays : 2 Bays each holding 12 fighters
(fire arcs are wave -f, 2 x cl. 3 ap/fp/f/fs/as, 2 x cl.3 fs/as/a/ap/fp)

Prometheus class Starcarrier
Service Details
currently in service : 3
under construction : 15 planned
procurement cost : 71.9M Cr.

Technical Details
Classification : Starcarrier
Displacement : 176,000 tonnes (mass: 176)
Hull type : Average (Hull Integrity: 53)
Crew : 160 officers, 1,380 ratings, 60 pilots (crew factors 22)
Armament : 2 x class 2 batteries
Defenses : 5 Point Defense systems, Level 0 Screens, Grade 13 armor
Hanger Bays : 6 Bays each holding 12 fighters
(fire arcs are fp/f/fs)

Starfighter Attack Craft

Streak series Attack Sleds - Standard - 2M Cr. per squadron
Hornet series Starfighters - Interceptors - 2M Cr. per Squadron
Phantom series Starfighters - Torpedo - 3.8M Cr. per Squadron
Tomcat-A series Starfighters - Fast - 3.2M Cr. per Squadron
Tomcat-B series Starfighters - Heavy - 3.2M Cr. per Squadron
Tomcat-C series Starfighters - Attack - 2.6M Cr. per Squadron

Order of Battle

Old Designs

Patrol Squadron (Captain)
1 Destroyer, 3 Corvettes

Task Group (Commodore)
1 Carrier or Cruiser, 3 Destroyers, 2 Corvettes

Carrier Group (Rear Admiral)
1 Battleship, 3 Carriers, 2 Cruisers, 3 Destroyers, 2 Corvettes

Solar Fleet (Vice Admiral)
1 Battleship, 3 Cruisers, 10 Destroyers, 2 Corvettes

Earth Defense Fleet (Admiral)
3 Battleships, 9 Cruisers, 5 Destroyers, 10 Corvettes

New Designs

Attack Squadron (Captain)
2 Stardestroyers, 6 Torpedo Boats   or   10 Torpedo Boats

Cruiser Squadron (Commodore)
1 Heavy Starcruiser, 2 Light Starcruisers, 1 Starcorvette

Task Group (Commodore)
1 Heavy Starcruiser, 2 Light Starcruisers, 2 Starcorvettes, 5 Torpedo Boats

Carrier Group (Rear Admiral)
3 Starcarriers, 3 Light Starcruisers, 10 Stardestroyers

Strike Group (Rear Admiral)
5 Light Starcruisers, 10 Starcorvettes

Battle Group (Rear Admiral)
Battle Starcruisers, 3 Heavy Starcruisers, 7 Starcorvettes

Assault Fleet (Vice Admiral)
2 Heavy Starcruisers, 10 Stardestroyers, 20 Assault Transports

Solar Fleet (Vice Admiral)
Battle Starcruisers, 10 Light Starcruisers, 5 Stardestroyers

Earth Defense Fleet (Vice Admiral)
9 Heavy Starcruisers, 15 Stardestroyers, 18 Torpedo Boats

Heavy Battle Group (Admiral)
2 Battlestarships, 4
Battle Starcruisers, 6 Heavy Starcruisers, 10 Stardestroyers

Union Fleet (Admiral)
3 Battlestarships, 8
Battle Starcruisers, 15 Heavy Starcruisers, 12 Light Starcruisers, 10 Starcorvettes, 25 Stardestroyers

Ships of the Vrel Star Navy

Delta class StarEscort
Service Details
first commissioned : 2089
currently in service : 170
lost in action : 17
decommissioned/scrapped : 2
under construction : 41
procurement cost : 10.7M Cr.

Technical Details
Classification : Escort
Displacement : 34,000 tonnes (mass: 34)
Hull type : Average (Hull Integrity: 10)
Crew : 15 officers, 105 ratings, 12 startroopers (crew factors 3)
Armament : 1 x class 2 battery, 2 x class 1 batteries
Defenses : 1 Point Defense systems, Level 0 Screens, Grade 0 armor
Sensor Systems : Enhanced Sensors, 1 fire-control systems
Drive Systems : Main Drive rating 8, FTL (jump) Drive
(fire arcs are cl. 2 - f)

Shark class Stealth Ship
Service Details
first commissioned : 2093
lost in action : 2
under construction : 2
procurement cost : 18.5M Cr.

Technical Details
Classification : Stealth Ship
Displacement : 40,000 tonnes, (mass: 40)
Hull type : Average (Hull Integrity: 12)
Crew : 17 officers, 125 ratings (crew factors 3)
Armament : 1 x Pulse Torpedo Tube
Defenses : 0 Point Defense systems, Level 0 Screens, Grade 0 armor
Sensor Systems : Superior Sensors, 1 fire-control systems, 1 Cloaking Field
(fire arcs are f)

Vector class Attackcruiser
Service Details
first commissioned : 2088
currently in service : 132
lost in action : 15
decommissioned/scrapped : 6
under construction : 28
procurement cost : 21.1M Cr.

Technical Details
Classification : Attackcruiser
Displacement : 64,000 tonnes (mass: 64)
Hull type : Average (Hull Integrity: 19)
Crew : 25 officers, 220 ratings, 55 startroopers (crew factors 6)
Armament : 1 Pulse Torpedo Tube, 3 x class 2 batteries
Defenses : 2 Point Defense systems, Level 1 Screens, Grade 0 armor
(fire arcs are torpedo - f, 1 x cl.2 - fs/f/fp, 1 x cl. 2 - as/fs/f, 1 x cl.2 - f/fp/ap)

Gamma class Strikecruiser
Service Details
first commissioned : 2092
currently in service : 68
under construction : 12
procurement cost : 30.5M Cr.

Technical Details
Classification : Strikecruiser
Displacement : 91,000 tonnes (mass: 91)
Hull type : Average (Hull Integrity: 27)
Crew : 50 officers, 500 ratings, 100 startroopers (crew factors 12)
Armament : 1 x Pulse Torpedo Tube, 1 x class 3 battery, 3 x class 2 batteries
Defenses : 3 Point Defense systems, Area Defense system, Level 1 Screens, Grade 0 armor
(fire arcs are torpedo - f, cl.3 - fp/f/fs, 1 x cl.2 ap/fp/f, 1 x cl.2 f/fs/as, 1 x cl.2 ap/a/as)

Meta class Anti-matter Missile Cruiser
Service Details
first commissioned : 2104
currently in service : 12
under construction : 4
procurement cost : 36.3M Cr.

Technical Details
Classification : Missile Cruiser
Displacement : 109,000 tonnes (mass: 109)
Hull type : Average (Hull integrity: 33)
Crew : 70 officers, 600 ratings, 120 startroopers (crew factors 12)
Armament : 2 x Missiles (6d6 anti-matter warheads), 2 x class 2 batteries, 6 x class 1 batteries
Defenses : 4 Point Defense systems, Level 2 Screens, Grade 0 armor
(fire arcs are 1 x cl. 2 ap/fp/f, 1 x cl.2 f/fs/as)

Mercury class Fast Attack Carrier
Service Details
first commissioned : 2080
currently in service : 9
procurement cost : 46.4M Cr.

Technical Details
Classification : Fast Attack Carrier
Displacement : 133,000 tonnes (Mass: 133)
Hull type : Average (Hull Integrity: 40)
Crew : 75 officers, 600 ratings, 120 startroopers, 36 pilots (crew factors 12)
Armament : 1 x class 1 battery
Defenses : 2 Point Defense systems, Level 1 Screens, Grade 0 armor
Hanger Bays : 3 Bays each holding 12 fighters

Zulu class Battleship
Service Details
first commissioned : 2085
currently in service : 34
lost in action : 2
under construction : 16
procurement cost : 62.4M Cr.

Technical Details
Classification : Battleship
Displacement : 176,000 tonnes (mass: 176)
Hull type : Average (Hull Integrity: 53)
Crew : 140 officers, 1,200 ratings, 300 startroopers, 12 pilots (crew factors 25)
Armament : 1 x class 4 battery, 3 x class 3 batteries, 2 x class 2 batteries
Sensor Systems : Superior Sensors, 3 fire-control systems
Hanger Bays : 1 Bay holding 12 fighters
(fire arcs are cl.4 f, cl.3 ap/fp/f/fs/as, cl.2 ap/a/as)

Alpha class Superdreadnought
Service Details
currently in service : 15
under construction : 6
procurement cost : 103.5M Cr.

Technical Details
Classification : Superdreadnought
Displacement : 310,000 tonnes (mass: 310)
Hull type : Average (Hull Integrity: 93)
Crew : 180 officers, 1,450 ratings, 350 startroopers, 24 pilots (crew factors 29)
Armament : 7 x class 3 batteries
Defenses : 4 Point Defense systems, Level 3 Screens, Grade 0 armor
Hanger Bays : 2 Bays each holding 12 fighters
(fire arcs are 1 x cl.3 ap/fp/f/fs/as, 1 x cl.3 fs/as/a/ap/fp, 5 x cl.3 ap/fp/fs/as)

Gemini class Fighter-Carrier
Service Details
first commissioned : 2096
currently in service : 17
under construction : 3
procurement cost : 73.9M Cr.

Technical Details
Classification : Fighter Carrier
Displacement : 210,000 tonnes (mass: 210)
Hull type : Average (Hull Integrity: 63
Crew : 160 officers, 1350 ratings, 200 startroopers, 72 pilots (crew factors 27)
Hanger Bays : 6 Bays each holding 12 fighters

Starfighter Attack Craft

Stinger series Starfighters - Fast - 3.2M Cr. per Squadron
Scorpion series Starfighters - Attack - 2.6M Cr. per Squadron
Assault series Starfighters - Heavy - 3.2M Cr. per Squadron

Order of Battle

Hunter Squadron (Captain)
5 Shark class Stealth Ships

Light Strike Group (Lt. Admiral)
2 Gamma class Strikecruisers, 6 Vector class Attackcruisers

Supply Convoy (Lt. Admiral)
30 Freighters, 10 Tankers, 9 Delta class StarEscorts

Fast Carrier Strike Group (Lt. Admiral)
3 Mercury class Fast Attack Carriers, 1 Gamma class Strikecruiser, 4 Vector class Attackcruisers

Attack Carrier Fleet (Captain Admiral)
4 Gemini class Fighter-Carriers, 1 Gamma class Strikecruiser, 10 Delta class StarEscorts

Cruiser Strike Group (Captain Admiral)
Meta class Anti-Matter Missile Cruisers, 3 Gamma class Strikecruisers, 10 Vector class Attackcruisers

Battlegroup (Captain Admiral)
2 Zulu class Battleships, 3 Gamma class Strikecruisers, 5 Delta class StarEscorts

Planetary Assault Fleet (Admiral)
1 Zulu class Battleship, 3 Vector class Attackcruisers, 15 Delta class StarEscorts, 25 Combat Transports

Heavy Battlegroup (Admiral)
1 Alpha class Superdreadnought, 2 Zulu class Battleships, 3
Meta class Anti-Matter Missile Cruisers, 6 Gamma class Strikecruisers

Battlefleet (Admiral)
2 Alpha class Superdreadnoughts, 5 Zulu class Battleships, 7 Gamma class Strikecruisers, 10 Vector class Attackcruisers, 20 Delta class StarEscorts