Too hot to touch

Tech

A player wants to buy a power where she heats up a foci to the point where the person drops it due to the heat. I think it'd have a limitation "not vs resistant ED". The foci isn't melted, just gets hot - although it'd be interesting if the hero pulled it off on an ice weapon but I digress.

First thing that comes to my mind is a power that does damage with Constant and Area of Effect (Surface) [Champions Complete pgs 101 and 97 respectively].

If the dropping is the truly important part and not the damage from the heat, then I'd probably go with a specialized Telekinesis build only for Disarm, possibly with Works Against CON Not STR (based on "Works Against EGO Not [Characteristic]"; Champions Complete pg 121) to represent holding on in spite of the pain.

From my rookie Superman:

https://forum.rpg.net/showthread.php?795840-HERO6E-My-rookie-JLA-builds&p=20706531#post20706531

0 27) Disarming Heat Vision: Blast 1d6, Reduced Endurance (1/2 END; +1/4), Sticky (Only the affected metal object is "Sticky"; +1/2), Line Of Sight (+1/2), Area Of Effect Accurate (4m Radius; +1/2), Area Of Effect (32m Cone; +3/4), Selective (+1/4), Does BODY (+1), Attack Versus Alternate Defense (Life Support Extreme Heat; +1 1/2), Damage Over Time (129-256 damage increments, damage occurs every Segment, can be negated by ending contact with the "affected" metal; Dropping the metal weapon; +5 3/4) (60 Active Points); Limited Power Only vs. Targets Touching Metal (-1/2) Real Cost: 30 
[Notes: This is the classic hotfoot vs. held weapons.] - END=3

CSLs with Disarm, maybe TK or Stretching being involved.

Alternately it can be done with Dispel, which might be a cleaner build.

How realistic? Typically a fighter would be gripping leather or wood, not steel, and often have gloves as well. Fully metal grips are definitely intended for use with gloves. So that gives them some insulation. And depending on the weapon there may be damage to it. On the other hand, if it's a spell that makes them *think* the weapon is burning them, it might work on anything (but have no damage effect on it). From the OP's description, it's more likely the former, though.

The area of effect surface will also allow you to heat up other thing besides a focus.  At the base level it can be applied to an area about 2m radius.  Each +1/4 doubles the size.  So it could also be used to heat up the floor, or a door.  If you are only using it to disarm it is probably a waste, if you use for other things, it can be useful. 

18 hours ago, dsatow said:

I'd make it an energy blast with extra time: extra segment and conditional power: Target must be holding (OI)AF -1/2.  The extra segment gives the target a chance to drop the focus.

I am assuming you are trying to replicate the pathfinder spell Burning Disarm.

I like this the best. The disarm by TK or range might work but as dsatow's build shows the effect of the item actually heating up. If the target tries to keep holding onto it, well then - take some moderate heat damage. I'll see what the player thinks, and throw out the disarm idea if she doesn't like this one.

Don't know anything about pathfinder, only heard of it.

22 hours ago, Hyper-Man said:

From my rookie Superman:

https://forum.rpg.net/showthread.php?795840-HERO6E-My-rookie-JLA-builds&p=20706531#post20706531

0 27) Disarming Heat Vision: Blast 1d6, Reduced Endurance (1/2 END; +1/4), Sticky (Only the affected metal object is "Sticky"; +1/2), Line Of Sight (+1/2), Area Of Effect Accurate (4m Radius; +1/2), Area Of Effect (32m Cone; +3/4), Selective (+1/4), Does BODY (+1), Attack Versus Alternate Defense (Life Support Extreme Heat; +1 1/2), Damage Over Time (129-256 damage increments, damage occurs every Segment, can be negated by ending contact with the "affected" metal; Dropping the metal weapon; +5 3/4) (60 Active Points); Limited Power Only vs. Targets Touching Metal (-1/2) Real Cost: 30 
[Notes: This is the classic hotfoot vs. held weapons.] - END=3

The base attack could be changed to RKA 1 pip with no other changes necessary. This would effectively add resistant ED as required defense besides Life Support.

18 hours ago, massey said:

You guys are spending too many points on something that's just a damn disarm.

Seriously though the only problem I have with a straight Disarm is that even mechanically, it doesn’t make sense that The stronger you are then better you are able to restrain a heated object.  So if you are allowed to use an alternate characateristic, then I would have no problem with using Disarm.

On ‎4‎/‎01‎/‎2018 at 12:50 AM, Greywind said:

Possibly high COM/Striking Beauty coupled with "DNPC: extremely jealous boyfriend/girlfriend" could be considered too hot to touch.

First thing I thought of, too.

I'm too hot (Hot Damn)

Called a Po-lice and a Fireman

I'm too hot (Hot Damn)

Make a Dragon wanna retire, man

Two ways to do this that come to mind:

Change environment (force a roll to keep holding the item, ego or con perhaps)

KA damage shield that hurts the character so they voluntarily drop it.

Of course there's always teleport the item out of their hand, mind control to force them to drop it, drain strength so they can't hold it, transform the item out of their hand (or them into someone that will not hold the item), etc.  But that's just getting silly.