WYWTS - Villainy Codex III - Send In The Clowns

tiger

Starting to work on the next installment in the Villainy Codex line called Send In The Clowns. Was wondering what you might like to see included. This will be very much a throwback to the organization books of the past. Two groups will be included in this book, CLOWN and IMPs.

CLOWN will be a update of characters plus addition of one of my favorite 4th edition villains. Some of the group as you know it have retired or moved on but others will be presented in a slimmed down version of the group. Images for them can be found in Deadmans Hero Machine Archive post towards the bottom of page 3.

IMPs is a group of deranged assassin/villains that have arrived on the seen. Members have comical, sadistic look to them. All are dangerous and all of psychotic to say the least. This group is not in competition with CLOWN, merely in the same book and somewhat theme. IMPs will be a small group of 5-6 villains all of which will have a bit of a comical theme to them. The group will be designed as assassins for hire and a group that will simply create havoc and destruction just for the shear fun of it.

Will post some images along the way as well, such as:

VCIII-FC1.jpg.039fce34ffde0dd18f33c2a5347b93aa.jpg

Who actually owns the rights to CLOWN?  Is it safe to assume you have the proper permission to update them? (I just don't want you to get into trouble.)

As to WIWTS, I believe Hermit posted a really good concept for a CLOWN rewrite, though I'm unable to find it at present through a search of the forums.  IIRC, their pranks are socially conscious rather than simply slapstick or generally malicious.  (Examples might include pumping crude oil through the sprinkler system of the headquarters of a company that caused a major oil spill; or for a bank that let sensitive customer info get stolen, papering the branch with credit card applications showing bank executives' personal info.)  This could involve PCs if they're perceived to have done something questionable, or are associated with someone who does something questionable.  (For example, the hero team gets computers / radios / smartphones donated to them by a company that is later revealed to use child labor in third world countries, so CLOWN hacks into the hero gear to punish them for supporting that company.)

That said, mainly what I'd like to see are plenty of examples for ways to tie the groups (CLOWN and IMP) into the PC heroes.  IOW, lots of plots seeds.

3 hours ago, BoloOfEarth said:

Who actually owns the rights to CLOWN?  Is it safe to assume you have the proper permission to update them? (I just don't want you to get into trouble.)

As to WIWTS, I believe Hermit posted a really good concept for a CLOWN rewrite, though I'm unable to find it at present through a search of the forums.  IIRC, their pranks are socially conscious rather than simply slapstick or generally malicious.  (Examples might include pumping crude oil through the sprinkler system of the headquarters of a company that caused a major oil spill; or for a bank that let sensitive customer info get stolen, papering the branch with credit card applications showing bank executives' personal info.)  This could involve PCs if they're perceived to have done something questionable, or are associated with someone who does something questionable.  (For example, the hero team gets computers / radios / smartphones donated to them by a company that is later revealed to use child labor in third world countries, so CLOWN hacks into the hero gear to punish them for supporting that company.)

That said, mainly what I'd like to see are plenty of examples for ways to tie the groups (CLOWN and IMP) into the PC heroes.  IOW, lots of plots seeds.

It might be worth while to try to search for Hermit's thread on CLOWN 6ed, if not for the new origin and premise, for the new member ideas I personally created (the mutant twins P and J, Head Stooge, among others).

40 minutes ago, steriaca said:

It might be worth while to try to search for Hermit's thread on CLOWN 6ed, if not for the new origin and premise, for the new member ideas I personally created (the mutant twins P and J, Head Stooge, among others).

I tried, but couldn't find it.  The forums' search engine apparently doesn't like me.  If anybody can find it and post a link to that thread, I'd greatly appreciate it.

8 hours ago, BoloOfEarth said:

Hero Games/DOJ owns the rights to CLOWN. I have permission from Jason to incorporate them, along with another 4th edition villain,  into Villain Codex III. It will be similar to my use of Terror Inc. in VC II, except that Heroic Publication owns their rights and allowed me to use them. 

Will be using information from the 4th edition material, making some changes and additions.

IMPs on the other hand is a group I created that has a similar look to their membership. Their use and philosophy will be completely different.

Bolo dug up a thread from 2015. Offically nominated for thread librarian. And Steriaca mentioned new member ideas. Well Like I said I never got the actual book, so I don't know if these come close to new character ideas, but...

Slapstick Martial artist with energy staffs with a minor transform. Faces get stuck in goofy expressions.

Punchline  A shape changer who grows extra arms with massive hands

3 hours ago, Nothere said:

Bolo dug up a thread from 2015. Offically nominated for thread librarian. And Steriaca mentioned new member ideas. Well Like I said I never got the actual book, so I don't know if these come close to new character ideas, but...

Slapstick Martial artist with energy staffs with a minor transform. Faces get stuck in goofy expressions.

Punchline  A shape changer who grows extra arms with massive hands

I remember there was a Slapstick or something similar in the 4ed version of CLOWN. He was an old man who dressed like a baggy pants type vaudeville comic. And he used a slapstick as a weapon (Basically a wooden paddle with another smaller wooden board attached to it so when it strikes someone it made a loud noise. It was loud, but didn't do much physical damage). More likely the guy passed away. But his son or grandson might just pick up his slapstick. Or become an annoying prop comic like Gallagher or Carrot Top.

Don't forget the spirit of the original team. Non-violent criminals who enjoy playing super-pranks which usually do no major harm. You want clowns you feal good about punching? Try Imp and Black Harliquin and Popgun.

11 hours ago, steriaca said:

I remember there was a Slapstick or something similar in the 4ed version of CLOWN. 

Yea he was a member, he was retired when clown was reissued in Classic Organizations. He and some other members will be retired or moved on. All members will not kill as most of them were in 4th ed.

2 hours ago, steriaca said:

An interesting idea would be if one of the new members of CLOWN would be the son or daughter of Popgun. If this person is male, his villain name could even be Son Of The Gun.

well Popgun kinds went of the rails and started killing, thus the vacation, but no reason one couldn't be. My plan is to include members of the old squad plus the addition of another 4th edition villain. Not all the members will be present for the old days, some retired some not invited back and so on.