Black Widow

Greywind

The way I see it, not all "superhero" movies starring female title leads have the same commercial potential. 

Well yeah, obviously, look how long it took to get a dude superhero movie that was a real winner.  No reason to assume female leads would do any better.  But if it can be demonstrated to the dolts in Hollywood that audiences just like good, fun, well-written, well-acted movies no matter who the lead is, they'll be willing to take chances on what they weren't before.

Nobody knew anyone wanted to see an Iron Man movie, until we saw it. Same with Captain America, Thor, Guardians of the Galaxy, Ant-Man, and Dr. Strange.  Most people hadn't even heard of those characters. Whether a Black Widow movie will fly will depend on how they do it, and how the general movie-going audience will react. But the Marvel brand, the character, and the actress all have serious name recognition and credibility now, which will go a long way.

I agree LL, and I would also say that expectations for all of those were correspondingly low going into their respective productions. But the Black Widow movie has acquired a false (IMO) sense of pent-up demand simply because it features a female lead character. Proponents of this movie (not here necessarily, but out in YouTube-land and social media at large) seem to see a correlation between Wonder Woman's success and Black Widow's potential success, which I just don't agree with. I predict that a Black Widow movie will only do about as well as Ant-Man, and that's accounting for the positive reputation of both Marvel as a brand and Scarlett as an actress.

Proponents of this movie (not here necessarily, but out in YouTube-land and social media at large) seem to see a correlation between Wonder Woman's success and Black Widow's potential success, which I just don't agree with.

Yeah I'd put it in the same category as Ant man. If handled well it should be great, if not its not going to matter how hot Scarlett Jo is or what she's like in the Avengers.

1 hour ago, Pattern Ghost said:

I think the demand is there, because it's an established fan favorite character.

Oh there's a demand, no doubt about it. However, I think that demand is wildly exaggerated, in no small part because the call to make a good espionage thriller starring Black Widow is conflated with the call to make more comics-based movies with female title leads. I'm simply not convinced that doing the former helps the cause of the latter to the extent that the SJWs want to believe it does.

15 hours ago, Matt the Bruins said:

I love how anyone hungry for characters that aren't male, white, and straight to headline some movies in Hollywood for a change is a "social justice warrior."

The SJWs are the ones making the loudest fuss about it on YouTube and social media. People like me, who love strong female heroes even more than strong male heroes but don't feel the need to make a crusade about it, eagerly await any and all such movies without ranting online about how morally corrupt Hollywood is for not doing more of it. I mean, Hollywood is morally corrupt, don't get me wrong, but what separates a fan from an SJW is the extent to which they try to make these things into great social imperatives.

The character isn't that interesting to me, nor is the espionage thriller genre that interesting to me. Plus, ScarJo does nothing for me as an actress. Having said that, if it does get made, I'll see it because it's an MCU movie (and at this point I'm an MCU completist), but it'll be a rental for me for sure.

Sorry, but Rocky and Bullwinkle are eternal. Cartoon specialty channels, children's specialty channels, kids' viewing hour local programming, DVDs, streaming, file-sharing websites... Moose and Squirrel will be rediscovered by every succeeding generation.

Just because most of us here are old farts who think everything cool for kids came out when we were that age, doesn't mean it all has to die with us. :angel: