Build Ideas for "Digital Energy Being"

SteveZilla

Hi assembled Hero-ites,

I would like some advice for building a creature that is basically an "energy being".  I am thinking of it having the attributes of being able to interface with - and possibly even "possess" - computers.  But while not "possessing" a computer and existing as an independent entity is basically Desolid all the time.  This may or may not be in a game with the existence of "Cyberspace" - would that choice make a difference on the interfacing/possessing aspects?

Question:  Should I buy Desolid + Zero END + Persistent + Inherent - Always On, in addition to a Physical Complication of being intangible with the exception of computer systems?

Question: Should I buy Mind Control and Telepathy (both Machine Class of Mind), or just a very high Computer Programming roll, or for some reason both?

Question:  Are any of the other mental powers useable in dealing with Computers/Cyberspace?

Thanks much for your input!

In the case of energy body, you wouldn't be able to use Always On, since it isn't a limitation at all.

I might suggest it would be easier to write yourself up as an AI, with Computer Link and go from there. Someone destroys the "body" (computer) you are possessing, and like the Nazgul you are bodiless until you find another computer to inhabit.

And Computer Programming is almost a Power itself in many games considering how flexible it is, is WAY cheaper and frankly better suited.

This is just a suggestion, as there can be many ways to build this character set.  Note that GM approval should always be sought after.

One character I played with a long time ago in a town far, far, away (okay, only 30+ miles) had created a character which summoned and mind controlled bodies.  The hero could not move and basically had a mental link with each of these android bodies.  We (the other players) thought the body was the player until one day we were accidentally transported to another dimension and the summon body didn't do anything except say "Error: Communication lost" ...

You might take this idea and say the energy being portal to this realm is fixed and immovable and he summons android bodies to interact with it.

In the case of energy body, you wouldn't be able to use Always On, since it isn't a limitation at all.

I might suggest it would be easier to write yourself up as an AI, with Computer Link and go from there. Someone destroys the "body" (computer) you are possessing, and like the Nazgul you are bodiless until you find another computer to inhabit.

And Computer Programming is almost a Power itself in many games considering how flexible it is, is WAY cheaper and frankly better suited.

What is the reasoning for saying AO is not useable?  It would be his natural state, and not something he can (easily) turn off at will - kinda like a ghost's Desolid.  It is Inherent into the existence, and thus AO.

1 minute ago, dsatow said:

I think the Framework was more like extra dimensional movement leaves physical body behind.

Only their minds are in the Framework, but you might have a point.  Radcliffe's mind was sent into the Framework and remained there even though his body was dead.

If he had only told Aida "Protect the Framework from everyone but me."

On 1/12/2018 at 4:21 PM, dsatow said:

This is just a suggestion, as there can be many ways to build this character set.  Note that GM approval should always be sought after.

One character I played with a long time ago in a town far, far, away (okay, only 30+ miles) had created a character which summoned and mind controlled bodies.  The hero could not move and basically had a mental link with each of these android bodies.  We (the other players) thought the body was the player until one day we were accidentally transported to another dimension and the summon body didn't do anything except say "Error: Communication lost" ...

You might take this idea and say the energy being portal to this realm is fixed and immovable and he summons android bodies to interact with it.

This is along the lines of what I was thinking, except for my character it wouldn't be a link - he would be *in* the body's "mind"/CPU Core.  Think kinda like how Shadowcat can phase and "hide" inside of another X-Man, like Colossus.  Obviously she is not controlling him - but she is inside him, phased.  If he gets killed, she would still be there, phased.

On 1/12/2018 at 6:53 PM, Hyper-Man said:

This is fairly similar to what I was thinking, but...  The body is built as a follower?  What happens if the follower/android body is killed?  It's not like followers grow on trees...

What about building the body as a vehicle?  While they too don't grow on trees they can be manufactured, and the second one doesn't have any reservations from knowing the first one getting destroyed.

The Andoid Body is built as a vehicle.  There are two links under his pic on the main page I linked to.

I based the construction on KillerShtike's own Erg 1 (I think that's the name) which used a similar method to create a character like Wildfire from the Legion of Superheroes. It seemed like a good fit after reading the story about Brainy building Wildfires suite from the remains of Red Tornado.

• 1 month later...
On 1/17/2018 at 6:50 PM, Hyper-Man said:

The Andoid Body is built as a vehicle.  There are two links under his pic on the main page I linked to.

I based the construction on KillerShtike's own Erg 1 (I think that's the name) which used a similar method to create a character like Wildfire from the Legion of Superheroes. It seemed like a good fit after reading the story about Brainy building Wildfires suite from the remains of Red Tornado.

On the "Wind Spirit" page, it lists:

PERKS
Cost     Name
57    The Android Body: Follower

I do see that the Android Body page is built as a Vehicle - is calling it a Follower on the Spirit page intentional?

Normally Vehicles are subject to being broken into and/or commandeered (I.e., control is wrested from the 'driving' character) - How is this prevented?

Being a Vehicle, wouldn't the Spirit need Combat Piloting/Driving?

Also, if a character has a no-range power and the 'Vehicle' has Stretching, can the character use the power through the Vehicle - or should the character buy an identical amount of Stretching and limit it with "Only Though Body(-?)"?

I would suggest 'Cyberkinesis' on page 70 of the Advanced Players' Guide and 'Possession' on page 74 of the Advanced Players' Guide. 

Basically I'd suggest the Advanced Players' Guide if you do not have it yet.

Sounds very much like what you are after but:

1. it is all going to depend on how your GM plays computers in his game and

2. if you are the only intangible computer hacker that can be difficult to run, especially if the DM wants to set part of the game where there is no useful tech to appropriate...