RIP: Dolores O'Riordan

Cygnia

Loved the Cranberries music. I really just hope this turns out not to be a suicide or an overdose. To many of those amongst rockers period and to many suicides amongst some truly great artists recently, especially of that genre of singers (Chris Cornell and Ed Kowalczyk to be specific, though not in that genre, the suicide of Keith Emerson hit me too).

I might be the only Gen Xer who missed the Cranberries first time around. Fortunately, Zombie was in heavy rotation on my lead hand's mix tape in my first, long ago night crew rotation, and I caught up with my generation. 

Unfortunately, a "sudden death" at 46, especially given the other unsubtle hints about managing back pain and an attempted suicide in 2012 . . . Like many great performers, I have a suspicion that O'Riordan was driven by the personal demons of bipolar disorder.

Which ought not be pathologised! It's a handicap like any other, and judging her for it is like judging a Type I diabetic or paraplegic for having a lower life expectancy. Ha ha, loser. Your pancreas doesn't make insulin, and you get bedsores! 

On 1/15/2018 at 4:09 PM, Lawnmower Boy said:

Unfortunately, a "sudden death" at 46, especially given the other unsubtle hints about managing back pain and an attempted suicide in 2012 . . . Like many great performers, I have a suspicion that O'Riordan was driven by the personal demons of bipolar disorder.

Which ought not be pathologised! It's a handicap like any other, and judging her for it is like judging a Type I diabetic or paraplegic for having a lower life expectancy. Ha ha, loser. Your pancreas doesn't make insulin, and you get bedsores! 

Bedsores killed John Callahan, the great cartoonist who was a Portland icon. He was paraplegic, and didn't get to keep his earnings if he wanted to get health care. And his caregivers were usually demeaning and abusive, incluidng physically. The pain he must have suffered in his last days and weeks is horrifying to contemplate.