Black Lightning on CW tonight

Hermit

1 hour ago, RDU Neil said:

Agreed, especially as they showed an actual Outsiders (I think) comic in Anissa's back pocket. I was wondering whether the comments about Vixen and Supergirl were more "pop culture" references rather than actual continuity references. Fandom is so obsessed with crossover continuity that they take everything literally, and lack the ability to just accept some casual, fun references for fun's sake.

Oh, the Outsider thing goes deeper than that.  The first we see an Outsider comic in Black Lightning, it is in the hands of Anissa's soon to be girlfriend, Grace.  The comic book she is carrying is one of the early issues of the Outsiders, but a latter incarnation of the team has a brick named Grace who is Asian and queer just like the girlfriend.  So, you just know that if Black Lightning makes it season 3, girlfriend Grace is going to get super strength or it is going to be revealed that she had it all along.

1 minute ago, Ranxerox said:

Oh, the Outsider thing goes deeper than that.  The first we see an Outsider comic in Black Lightning, it is in the hands of Anissa's soon to be girlfriend, Grace.  The comic book she is carrying is one of the early issues of the Outsiders, but a latter incarnation of the team has a brick named Grace who is Asian and queer just like the girlfriend.  So, you just know that if Black Lightning makes it season 3, girlfriend Grace is going to get super strength or it is going to be revealed that she had it all along.

Yes... that's right... it is in Grace's pocket, not Anissa's. I was remembering it wrong. 

4 hours ago, Pattern Ghost said:

Here's how I advised my wife to catch up on Legends of Tomorrow: Read an online summary of the plot of season 1 on Wikipedia or something. Start with Season 2.  If you're looking for something that passes the high bar set by the best of superheroic television, then you can skip it. If you're OK with watching a show that doesn't take itself too seriously but embraces its comic book roots more than most superhero shows, then you might find it fun. The tone of the show is similar to the late 80's run of JLA with Blue Beetle and Booster Gold that was a bit on the lighter side. (I'm thinking Giffen, but all I find is JLI, not JLA and I thought it was the main book at the time. Eh, memory's getting fuzzy.)

I actually made it to Season 3 before I had to drop LoT. I could take the cheese if it were consistent but it has a habit of killing off main characters that's too prevalent(IMO) in a lighthearted show and the level of stupid equals the Flash's bad episodes  even in LoT's good ones. It's like a Scooby -doo mystery level of seriousness with adult interactions and actual deaths.

I think I can say I'm now more comfortable with my decision not to bother with LoT, nor to miss Arrow or Flash. If Season 3 of Supergirl ever gets to Netflix, I'll at least try that (I got through the first half, but have missed it since.) Otherwise, I'll wait for Season 2 of Black Lightning.

I mean, I just read that Agents of SHIELD somehow got renewed again... so there will never be a dearth of bad TV.

41 minutes ago, RDU Neil said:

Otherwise, I'll wait for Season 2 of Black Lightning. 

Not really a bad plan. It's probably the best superhero show outside of Netflix at the moment. I ditched Arrow partway through last season or the one before, but still watch the rest. None are really high on my priority list, though.

14 hours ago, Ranxerox said:

Those are neat Easter eggs that I would never have got. But Easter eggs they are nonetheless. I don't think that comic foreshadows anything. The primary narrative purpose of that Outsiders book was to give Annisa a plausible excuse for why she was staring at Grace's ass; a flirtation totem that merely helped to propel the Meet Cute.

52 minutes ago, Ragitsu said:

Can someone here please delineate the key differences between Black Lightning's and Static Shock's powers?

Black Lightning is a Martial Artist with an Energy Blast (much like Black Canary).  Static Shock is an Energy Projector.