Multiple Limited Power Limitations on a Power

Jujitsuguy

Question

Team:

I have a character in my campaign who has a Solar radiation-based power, which they get a "boost" of a recovery ability, a well as tying into their other abilities.

Now, after discussion, if the person is relatively in a solar system--aka our Solar system, within the Oort cloud to define boundaries--their "Boost" power(s) for recovery and linked other powers work at 100% efficiency.

However, if they are outside of the Solar system, but in space w/ plenty of starlight, their ability drops to about 1/2....normally, I would then write a limited power to 1/2 effectiveness in Starlight-only, which I would assign it not the full 1/2 power limitation(default -1/2), but more like a -1/4, because they won't be in space necessarily most of the time, but my campaign DOES go into space relatively frequently.

To complicate things even more, there is and can be a scenario where almost all light(remember, solar radiation) is mostly or completely gone, which I give the person the benefit of the doubt and say if any ambient radiation--body's, reactors, or heat of any kind--they will be reduced to 1/4 their ability...perhaps then giving them a -1/2 on it.

Is it legal or logical in this case to allow these two limitations to be applied to the power, or am I defeating the purpose of limited power limitations?

I first said I'm not sure, and reading the manual, 6E1-382, I couldn't find if there is an issue doing this.

Any thoughts on this?

1 answer to this question

Applying multiple Limitations to a power that way isn't necessarily illegal, though some GMs might consider it "double-dipping" and forbid it. But in any event, that approach is probably more complexity (and more text on the character sheet) than you need. I would suggest coming up with one Limitation -- let's call it Dependent On Solar Radiation for the sake of discussion -- assign it an appropriate value (probably -1/4 based on what you're telling me, but given the nature of your campaign maybe -1/2), and then make a note on the character sheet of all the rules/guidelines that apply to the Limitation (just like you did in your question). That avoids the potential problems of "two Limitations covering the same thing.