When Did Agents of SHIELD Start To Go Downhill?

Cassandra

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I kind of feel that each season has had its hit and miss moments/episodes. Some had more misses than hits, and vice versa. This final season, for instance, has gone from potentially interesting mystery to boring, narratively-strained time travel nonsense.

27 minutes ago, Cassandra said:

They only other way to "salvage" this is if they were still in the Framework.

Aaaaaaaaahhh.....

I don't know which is worse.  

Time Travel Cop-out or We're Stuck in the Computer Cop-out.

Both are prime examples of what happens when a show writer becomes creatively bankrupt.

1 minute ago, Spence said:

Aaaaaaaaahhh.....

I don't know which is worse.  

Time Travel Cop-out or We're Stuck in the Computer Cop-out.

Both are prime examples of what happens when a show writer becomes creatively bankrupt.

I blame the Holodeck.

3 hours ago, death tribble said:

And I don't see any sign that this current season is the final season.

Well, the sign I was reading was Disney stepping in to inexplicably force a fifth season in spite of the fact that ABC was about to cancel it. Everyone from industry insiders to industry watchers is convinced/assuming that season five will be its last. I suspect they are right, just as we all suspect they are right about Inhumans not coming back despite no formal announcement of that (yet) either. Besides, tossing a show into a Friday night death slot isn't something a network typically does if it intends to keep airing it.

I wouldn't say I hate it.

I just think the writing became lazy and disjointed. 

It isn't that I actively dislike the show, it is that I just don't find a compelling reason to watch it.

Of course the number of shows that even come close to "compelling" in the last two years I could count on one hand.  If I was missing some fingers.....

I think each arc starts strong and then falters - so technically episode 3 or 4 of any given arc. 

(So do most comic book arcs, though - so maybe Agents really is the most faithful depiction out there?)

I don't find that particularly affects my like of the show, though - the actors / characters pull it through for me no matter what plot-line the writing team hits with a dart thrown at a board - and even weak episodes are watchable.

... I just realised I just also described how I feel about Star Trek, Star Wars,  and their various spin offs.  Huh. 

(Except Voyager: Threshold and Tuvix. Those episodes need to be pulled from syndication.)