Extra Time + Damage Over Time (Bubonic Plague)

bigdamnhero

Question

Hi Steve. I'm trying to reconcile how Damage Over Time works with Extra Time in effects built as multiple- stage powers. Specially I'm looking at the Bubonic Plague write-up in the Bestiary and the Equipment Guide.

Each of the four stages of the disease has Damage Over Time with X damage increments, one per day for X days. (X=5 days for Second & Final Stages; X=3 for Third Stage.) No problem. The First Stage has Extra Time, starts 1 hour after exposure. Again, no problem. But the Second and Third Stages both have Extra Time "begins to affect victim one day after First Stage takes full effect, -3." The Final Stage similarly has Extra Time "begins to affect victim one day after Second Stage takes full effect, -3."

The part I'm tripping over is what does "takes full effect" mean in this context? Normally I would assume it means once the power has run its course and gone through all its damage increments. But that makes the plague last an inordinately long amount of time...

(starting 1 hour after exposure)

Day 1: Drain 1d6 CON

Day 2: Drain 1d6 CON

Day 3: Drain 1d6 CON

Day 4: Drain 1d6 CON
Day 5: Drain 1d6 CON

Day 6: Drain 1d6 STR & 1d6 Striking Appearance

Day 7: Drain 1d6 STR & 1d6 Striking Appearance

Day 8: Drain 1d6 STR & 1d6 Striking Appearance

Day 9: Drain 1d6 STR
Day 10: Drain 1d6 STR

Day 11: Drain 1d6 BODY

Day 12: Drain 1d6 BODY

Day 13: Drain 1d6 BODY

Day 14: Drain 1d6 BODY

Day 15: Drain 1d6 BODY

See what I mean?

The other possible interpretation I can think of is "takes full effect" simply means once the power has activated and begun its first damage increment. But that would mean the 2nd & 3rd stages kick in when the 1st Stage does, ie 1 hour after exposure; and the Final stage kicks in at the same time as the 2nd Stage, again 1 hour after exposure?

Day 1: Drain 1d6 CON, 1d6 STR, 1d6 Striking Appearance, & Drain 1d6 BODY

Day 2: Drain 1d6 CON, 1d6 STR, 1d6 Striking Appearance, & Drain 1d6 BODY

Day 3: Drain 1d6 CON, 1d6 STR, 1d6 Striking Appearance, & Drain 1d6 BODY

Day 4: Drain 1d6 CON, STR, & Drain 1d6 BODY
Day 5: Drain 1d6 CON, STR, & Drain 1d6 BODY

That seems to match up a bit better with the disease's normal progression as I understand it. But then it's not really four different stages; it's just Drain that affects 3 Characteristics, with Extra Time starts 1 hour after exposure.

...or am I missing something?

EDIT: I think I figured it out after I hit post. Is the below right?

Day 1: Drain 1d6 CON

Day 2: Drain 1d6 CON, 1d6 STR, 1d6 Striking Appearance

Day 3: Drain 1d6 CON, 1d6 STR, 1d6 Striking Appearance, 1d6 BODY

Day 4: Drain 1d6 CON, 1d6 STR, 1d6 Striking Appearance, 1d6 BODY

Day 5: Drain 1d6 CON, 1d6 STR, 1d6 BODY

Day 6: Drain 1d6 STR, 1d6 BODY

Day 7: Drain 1d6 BODY

Edited by bigdamnhero
RTFM

1 answer to this question

What I meant by "takes full effect" is "all increments of damage have accrued" (as shown in your first example). That seemed to make things easiest on the GM while maintaining some level of dramatic realism. If you think it's taking too long, or you prefer some other arrangement, by all means go for it. That might make things a little more tense in some campaigns or situations, providing some added excitement. ;)