Mobile Area of Effects

dsatow

Question

So, a question has been raised about mobile area of effect attacks.  I know how I adjudicate it in my games which isn't a problem but on arguing about I came up with a curious issue.

In the argument, a player wants to stick a darkness field on a target and have it move with them.  I, as a GM, would just allow the player to target the victim's DCV  instead of a hex and be done with it.  The argument about my GM style starts that this is too cheap an advantage to give in play (I really don't care about this part, fun speedy play overrules).  To do this, the argumentative poster creates a darkness UAA at range which he says does the same thing as my GM fiat and then shows me the cost difference.

Here comes the questioning issue.  Assuming the power build darkness with UAA at range is done:

How is the power sticking to the target?  By this I mean, the attacker is controlling the power.  If the power is controlled and reformed around the victim then shouldn't the rule on 6e1p359 be in play?  Meaning, if the two characters are of different speeds, can the target(if faster) move out of the darkness field and take action before the attacker can reform the darkness?  If it sticks, how is this different than creating a power which when bought forces a person to shoot darkness at people and, if it is sticking, doesn't the attacker need to control the darkness and still attack the target to keep control on the power?

If you wish to review the thread, my comment starts at 

http://www.herogames.com/forums/topic/96597-does-darkness-block-solar-radiation-and-can-i-stick-it-to-a-target/?tab=comments#comment-2637048

His last (long winded) rebuttal is at 

http://www.herogames.com/forums/topic/96597-does-darkness-block-solar-radiation-and-can-i-stick-it-to-a-target/?tab=comments#comment-2637189

1 answer to this question

The power "sticks" to the target because the rules for UAA (6E1 359) specify that UAA works like that if you want it to. There's no "realistic" rationale or logic to it per se; that's just how the HERO System rules let you do this particular thing. Though your way of doing it in your campaign as GM works just fine too. :)