Base Security Personnel And The Law In Your Campaign

Marcus Impudite

Mike works as a security guard at the base of one of Campaign City's superhero teams. While making his rounds around the base late one night, Mike notices the door to the team leader's office is open and a figure in black trousers, a black turtleneck, and a black ski mask (i.e., standard burglar getup) is at the desk rifling through the drawers and tampering with said team leader's laptop. To get the obvious out of the way, Mike follows established security protocol and contacts the main security office via radio to let them know about the intruder in the compound. He also requests back up just in case the perp turns out to be more dangerous than appearances suggest. From this point, how is Mike--and by extension, his back up when they arrive--allowed to proceed according to the law in your campaign world?

Well it's a bit hard to answer as this is a guard at a superbase. If my base had a security staff they would be armed with blasters, but they could have anything from nnds, to  entangles, to just plain guns. They would of course start by ordering surrender/ hands up etc. Assuming the culprit surrenders arrest and contact the police. If the culprit resists I would assume they just start blasting. People with code against killing give their guards stun rays not machine guns. 

In my game world (don't know if this is technically within the actual law), Mike could use nonlethal force to apprehend the miscreant.  Mike could defend himself using lethal force if the intruder uses similar force against him (putting Mike and his backup into "fearing for their lives" territory).

As it is a hero base, I'd presume that Mike has at least one if not more non-lethal means at his disposal. 

In most of my game worlds, the PCs usually instruct the guards just to call them and/or let the base defenses deal with the intruders.  The PCs usually arrive 5x faster than normal backup and can better deal with the intruder.  Besides, any normal crook assaulting a supers base is too bold.  It's like if a criminal shoots a cop, the police deems that criminal extremely dangerous just because they have the audacity to shoot at a cop.